California Man Drove Off Cliff…And Then His Day Got Worse
When exiting a crash, always keep an eye out for onrushing tour buses.
A California man suffered a double dose of bad luck on April 2, when he narrowly avoided plummeting off a cliff in his SUV—only for a passing bus to plow into him, according to local authorities.
According to the Malibu-Lost Hill's Sheriff's Station's Facebook page, the man—whose name was not released—was driving down Malibu Canyon Road in Malibu when he lost control of his Toyota Highlander, sending it through the guardrail and leaving it dangling over the edge of the canyon. The man was able to clamber out of the vehicle safely, but in his confusion, he stumbled into traffic and was rammed by a tour bus.
Luckily, the man was still conscious when members of the Los Angeles County Fire Department and California Highway Patrol officers reached him. The first responders provided initial treatment at the scene, before sending him to a local hospital for further medical attention.
The Los Angeles Sheriff's Department is using this as an opportunity to remind residents and visitors alike of the dangers that can come from blasting along Malibu's roads. The Drive, on the other hand, would like to use this story to remind you to of the importance of choosing the right vehicle for canyon-carving. Attempting to hustle down Malibu Canyon Road in a first-gen Toyota Highlander is never going to be the thrill you went looking for. Drive smart: Choose a Porsche.
- RELATED8 Weird Automotive Crash TestsWatch out for that moose.READ NOW
- RELATEDAlmost, But Not Quite, Crashing the 2017 Mercedes-Benz E300The high-tech Mercedes E-Class has more than crash-avoidance tricks up its sleeve.READ NOW
- RELATEDDrive Wire: Watch Drones Race and Crash at High SpeedsREAD NOW
- RELATEDDrive Wire: A Cop Car That Will Win Almost Any High Speed ChaseREAD NOW
- RELATEDWatch Cops Chase a Chihuahua Across the Bay BridgeSeriously, it'll be the best moment of your day.READ NOW