Next Audi TT Will Reportedly Be a 'Four-Door Coupe'
It'll apparently hit showrooms within the next two years.
It may be the end of the line for the small-and-stylish two-door from Audi if a new report is to be believed. The German automaker has reportedly greenlit the next-generation TT exclusively as a "four-door coupe" set to hit showrooms within the next two years, according to Auto Express.
The reason? Practicality and profit, unsurprisingly. Given the modern consumer's obsession with space and ride height, a low-slung coupe apparently makes little business sense, with an Audi board member telling Auto Express, "If you set falling demand against rising costs, it’s obvious Audi cannot sustain its present course in the medium term. Instead, there has been intensive consideration of the coupe and the convertible in the compact segment." Translation: The two-door TT juice just ain't worth the squeeze.
This isn't the first time Audi has toyed with the idea of a four-door TT. At the 2014 Paris Motor Show, Audi unveiled a TT Sportback concept along with a lifted offroad variant with plans to bring 'em into production. Less than a year later, Dieselgate hit the company hard and those plans had to be put on the backburner. Until now, apparently.
According to the report, the production TT Sportback's design has already been approved and finalized. Expect it to have similar proportions to the concept car and ride on an updated and elongated version of the MQB platform that underpins the current TT, A3, VW Golf, and a myriad of other compact Volkswagen Group cars.
The Drive has contacted Audi for comment and will update if we hear back.
UPDATE: In an email to The Drive, an Audi spokesperson said that the company "cannot provide any further information" on any future, four-door TTs.
- RELATEDThe 600-Horsepower Audi TT Clubsport Turbo Concept visits the Hoonigan GarageJust listen to that electrically-assisted, twin-turbo 5-cylinder sing.READ NOW
- RELATEDWatch the 630-HP Mercedes-AMG GT 63 S 4-Door Crush the Nurburgring in 7:25.41AMG's 'four-door coupe' breaks a Nürburgring production car lap record...sort of.READ NOW
- RELATED2018 Audi TT RS to Debut at New York International Auto ShowWith 400 horsepower, the 2018 Audi TT RS is the most powerful production TT in history.READ NOW
- RELATED2016 Audi TT Roadster: ‘Sexy Baby’ No MoreNo longer just a stylish accessory, Audi's new mighty mite is out for blood. And the looks still kill.READ NOW
- RELATEDAudi's Autonomous Cup Uses Tiny Cars to Test Big Technology, Inspire Future CodersCollege students are tasked with programming tiny Audis to make their way around miniature streets.READ NOW