The Chevy Colorado ZR2 Is Bashing Into Best in the Desert's General Tire 'Vegas to Reno' Race
Hall Racing will compete in the grueling 550-mile racing using a near-stock Colorado ZR2.
Over the past six months since it was hit showrooms, the Chevy Colorado ZR2 has proven itself a worthy mid-sized off-road pickup. The gas-powered version of the hardcore truck utilizes a 3.6-liter V-6 engine making a healthy 308 horsepower, giving it plenty of power to bomb desert runs. As you may remember from a previous article here on The Drive, Chad Hall Racing was the first customer to take delivery of a Colorado ZR2. Now the time has finally come for the team to put the Colorado ZR2 to the test in the Best in the Desert's General Tire "Vegas to Reno" race this weekend.
Chad Hall Racing only performed minor modifications to the already-burly ZR2, like installing lightbars, roll cages, safety harnesses and a 44-gallon fuel tank. All these modifications were done to meet Class 7300 race compliance for the "Vegas to Reno" race. According to Chevy Performance, this race will double as an opportunity for engineers test new part options for the Colorado ZR2 as well as other Colorado trims.
The Chevy Colorado ZR2 rocks a 3.5-inch wider rear track, a 3-inch lift, functional rockers, skid plates, and the amazing DSSV Multimatic suspension. These off-road-oriented modifications make it the perfect competitor for a race like this—and a definite force to be reckoned with.
The Best in the Desert's General Tire "Vegas to Reno" race starts on Friday morning at 9:30am, and is expected to end some time Saturday morning. But you can see the ZR2 bombing off-road in the video below
- RELATEDBaseball All-Star MVP Robinson Cano Chose Chevy Corvette Grand Sport Over Colorado ZR2It's good to be MVP.READ NOW
- RELATEDChevrolet Releases Final Video of the Colorado ZR2's Rock Crawling TestsNeedless to say, Chevy is very confident in the truck's capabilities.READ NOW
- RELATEDWatch the Chevy Colorado ZR2 Undergo Hardcore Off-Road TestingIn certain cases, smaller is better.READ NOW
- RELATEDFirst Chevy Colorado ZR2s Roll Off Assembly Line Ready to Off-RoadOne of the first 2017 Chevrolet Colorado ZR2 will go to Chad Hall Racing.READ NOW
- RELATEDWatch the Chevy Colorado ZR2 Do The Desert SlideThis chipper off-road specialist looks great doing it.READ NOW