Drive Wire for November 8, 2016: The Grand Tour Destroyed 27 Cars and Drove 1.4 Billion Miles
So claims a hyperbolic Jeremy Clarkson in the latest trailer.
Hey there. Devin Altieri here for Drive Wire on November 8th, 2016.
Today on Drive Wire: The Grand Tour has released a new teaser before the show's November 18th premiere, complete with some enticing numbers.
The new teaser trailer boasts that over the course of filming 27 cars were destroyed for the sake of the show. This is probably true given how much James May, Richard Hammond and Jeremy Clarkson enjoy blowing up, or just generally wrecking, the cars they drive. Also sacrificed for the sake of the show: 14,951 cups of coffee. This is probably also true given a six month shoot time and crew of more than 100 people.
But it's a stat courtesy of Jeremy Clarkson himself that is garnering the most chuckles and raised eyebrows. According to Clarkson, they have driven nearly one and a half billion miles during filming. In case anyone thinks that's true, Clarkson does have a knack for embellishment, and embellish he did. One and a half billion miles is equivalent to driving to the Sun and back eight times.
That’s it for Drive Wire on November 8th, 2016. I’m Devin Altieri ; thanks for watching, and please check out The Drive for more on the big stories from the transportation world.
- RELATEDDrive Wire for November 7, 2016: Kurdish Man Uses His Bulletproof BMW to Save Dozens from ISIS AttackBMW reportedly offered to give him a brand-new car in exchange for his bullet-ravaged old one.READ NOW
- RELATEDDrive Wire for November 7, 2016: Ford Says 2017 F-150 Raptor Orders Are Coming In FastThe truck is also proving exceedingly popular on Ford's website.READ NOW
- RELATEDDrive Wire for November 4, 2016: Mopar Offering Hemi Swap Kits for Classic Chrysler Cars and TrucksMaking it easier than ever to plop a brand-new 392 in your mid-century Plymouth.READ NOW
- RELATEDDrive Wire for November 3, 2016: Toyota Reveals a Customized Land Cruiser With 2,000 HorsepowerThe carmaker claims the “Land Speed Cruiser” can hit 220 miles per hour.READ NOW
- RELATEDDrive Wire for November 2, 2016: Volkswagen Is Quitting World Rallycross RacingThe carmaker made it official this morning.READ NOW