Drive Wire for October 26, 2016: Mercedes-Benz Reveals the Brand’s First Pickup Truck, the X-Class
Concept previews a production model expected to arrive next year.
Hey there. Will Sabel Courtney here for Drive Wire on October 26th, 2016.
Today on Drive Wire: Mercedes-Benz has revealed its new pickup truck, the X-Class.
The X-Class seen here is just a concept vehicle, but it’s a close approximation of the production truck that Mercedes-Benz says will go on sale by the end of 2017.
The truck is a midsized pickup, based on the same chassis as the Nissan Navara—making it roughly the size of a Chevrolet Colorado. But it’ll be distinctly a Mercedes-Benz inside and out, with all the style and luxury you’d expect of a vehicle wearing the three-pointed star.
It will also come with the off-road credentials you’d expect from the brand that brought you the G-Wagen. The X-Class’s four-wheel-drive system will offer a transfer case, a pair of locking differentials, and an electronic traction control system.
While the truck has been confirmed for European, Australian, African, and Latin American markets, Mercedes-Benz has not yet made a decision as to whether the X-Class will be available in the United States.
That’s it for Drive Wire on October 26th, 2016. I’m Will Sabel Courtney; thanks for watching, and please check out The Drive for more on the big stories from the transportation world.
- RELATEDDrive Wire for October 26, 2016: Uber's Self-Driving Truck Makes Its First Delivery—50,000 Cans of BeerOtto's autonomous big rig crosses 120 miles of Colorado toting a trailer of Bud.READ NOW
- RELATEDDrive Wire for October 25th, 2016: Honda CEO Wants Most U.S. Sales to Be EVs and Hybrids By 2030The automaker has quite a bit of work to do to make that goal.READ NOW
- RELATEDDrive Wire for October 24th, 2016: Airbus Reveals Plans for Autonomous Flying Car Called “Vahana”Single-seat VTOL platform could serve as an Uber of the skies.READ NOW
- RELATEDDrive Wire for October 24, 2016: BMW Films's The Escape, Starring Clive Owen, DebutsThe short film also stars Dakota Fanning, Jon Bernthal, and the new BMW 5 Series.READ NOW
- RELATEDDrive Wire for October 21, 2016: Fisker's 400-Mile Electric Tesla Fighter Has Four Butterfly DoorsThere's only one picture so far—but that one picture has us plenty excited.READ NOW