Weekly Wire for July 1, 2016: VW Diesel Payout, the New Porsche Panamera, and Austin’s Uber/Drinking Problem
A tough week in Wolfsburg turned out pretty darn well for certain VW diesel owners.
This week, Volkswagen announced a proposed settlement to pay out $14.7 billion to owners of some diesel VW and Audi cars with 2.0-liter TDI engines. The money goes mostly to fund very generous cash payouts to car owners, as well as reduce nitrogen-oxide emissions and develop zero-emissions vehicles. Meanwhile, Porsche fans have been given the gift of a sleek new Panamera, and the city of Austin has succumbed to drinking and a dubious taxi free-for-all in the wake of Uber and Lyft's departure.
- RELATEDDrive Wire for June 30, 2016: Scientists Turn Pig Manure into AsphaltOrganic matter-based roads would be cheaper and cleaner than conventionally-surfaced ones.READ NOW
- RELATEDDrive Wire for June 29, 2016: The Mill Blackbird Can Become Any Car in the WorldFully adjustable rig car is poised to shake up how Hollywood uses CGI vehicles.READ NOW
- RELATEDDrive Wire for June 28, 2016: Volkswagen Announces $14.7B Dieselgate SettlementAffected customers are about to get paid.READ NOW
- RELATEDDrive Wire for June 27, 2016: Top Gear USA Is DeadHost Rutledge Wood announces tomorrow's episode will be the show's last.READ NOW
- RELATEDDrive Wire for June 23, 2016: How Much Do Uber Drivers Really Make?New analysis reveals the service's drivers probably aren't doing all that well.READ NOW