Drive Wire: VW Is Scrapping The Golf 400 R, But All Isn’t Lost Just Yet.
Volkswagen has scrapped the golf R-400 project that would have put four hundred horses in a GTI and endless smiles to the Volkswagen community. But there’s a silver lining here: VW will continue its pursuit of the front-wheel-drive Nurburgring record with a 306 horsepower model called the GTI Clubsport S. That’s about fifteen horsepower more than the all-wheel-drive Golf R, going through the fronts alone! We’re eager to see how VW makes that work, and if they can take the Nurburgring crown back from the Honda Civic Type R.
- RELATEDDrive Wire: Volkswagen Golf Might Get A FaceliftREAD NOW
- RELATEDYou Should Totally Buy a Volkswagen Golf R Right NowOpportunism at its fastest.READ NOW
- RELATEDBudd-E Concept Reboots the Volkswagen Microbus at CESFlower power blossoms in the Las Vegas desert.READ NOW
- RELATEDChasing a Volkswagen GTI in the New Chevrolet VoltWe bring a hot hatch bogey along to test GM’s redesigned plug-in hybrid.READ NOW
- RELATEDThe New Volkswagen GTI TCR Racecar Is Already Sold OutThe racing hot hatch of your dreams is already out of reach. But VW has a consolation prize.READ NOW