Wekfest Japan 2017 Is Car Culture Gone Completely Mad
From Kanjozoku Civic Hatchbacks To A Chopped Ford Model A Rat-Rod, Wekfest Japan has it all.
If Tokyo Auto Salon is about the tuners, then Wekfest is about the people. Started in California, Wekfest has become an international showcase of what car enthusiasts are creating around the world. Earlier this month, Wekfest returned to Nagoya's Port Messe Exhibition Center to give us a look at what the locals from Tokyo to Osaka are bringing to the table.
From the hundreds of high-quality entrants at the show, it's difficult to highlight the real standouts. The show seemed particularly diverse this year, with everything from a classic Mercedes-Benz sporting a 2JZ-swap, to a gorgeous Millenium Jade FC3S RX-7, to a chopped 1938 Ford Model A rat-rod, and even a polarizing Ferrari Testarossa on air suspension.
And while most of the builds show off some truly admirable craftsmanship, there's no doubt you'd find more than a handful that aren't your cup of tea. But really, that's the point. Variety is the spice of life—what is car culture if everyone follows the same recipe?
Joey Lee, a regular guest judge at Wekfest for Best Honda awards, shared his unique look at Wekfest Japan, from final prep work at Exceed Garage to the show's award ceremony, via his channel stickydiljoedotcom on YouTube. Did we mention there were a lot of cars at Wekfest Japan? Joey has split his coverage into two parts, with each episode approximately 20 minutes long.
For a much shorter video of the cars at Wekfest Japan, also check out the video from lower motion below.
- RELATEDThe 2017 Tokyo Auto Salon Is Widebody ParadiseThese are the heavy hitters of the Tokyo Auto Salon.READ NOW
- RELATEDWatch Itasha Cars and Geeky Otaku Take Over a Tokyo Parking LotNothing makes you a bigger Otaku than Hatsune Miku plastered across your Kei-car.READ NOW
- RELATEDLet This Tokyo Car Meet Video Fulfil All Your JDM Wants and DesiresGT-Rs, Supras, AE86s, Miatas, STIs, Evos–you name it.READ NOW
- RELATEDMan Finds Legendary Crashed Toyota Supra On A Mountain In JapanSome say you can still hear the tires screeching across the valley...READ NOW
- RELATEDA Group Of Rauh-Welt Porsches Terrorize TokyoJapanese Porsche Culture Makes For A Genuinely Beautiful VideoREAD NOW