Norway Might Ban the Sale of New Gas-Powered Cars by 2025
The latest in Norway's attempts to achieve a green-car utopia.
Norwegian lawmakers have agreed on a ban that would prohibit the sale of gasoline cars after the year 2025, Dagens Næringsliv reports. Electrek says that the reported agreement comes after months of discussions between the country's divided political groups.
If all goes as planned, the law would allow for only electric- and hydrogen fuel cell vehicles to be sold in Norway. The ongoing explosion of various alternative-powertrain vehicle options on the market should aid in making this a possibility.
Though Dagens Næringsliv reports that the agreement is solid, as Electrek points out, two of Norway's major conservative political parties have told Aftenposten.no that they are not yet in agreement with the ban. So, although it's moving along, there are still a few more hurdles. Politics will be politics.
Unsurprisingly, Tesla CEO and electric car fanboy Elon Musk has already started to celebrate this anti-gas victory. Slightly prematurely, since nothing has been officially set in stone just yet.
This is the most recent news on Norway's push for emissions free transportation. The Drive previously reported on how Oslo, Norway's capital, wants to ban cars by 2019, and on the massive tax incentives the country offers those who buy electric car. Considering that electric cars have an impressive 24 percent market share in Norway, it seems like the country is using the right tricks to get motorists to convert to the green ways.
With Norway being one of the world's biggest oil exporters, it's interesting to see the country take such a promising stance toward non-gasoline powered vehicles. Power to them.
- RELATEDNorway Is Using Cold Cash to Get Drivers Into EVsNo taxes, no fees, free parking and free electricity gets one-fifth of its population ICE-free.READ NOW
- RELATEDElon Musk Hints at a Tesla Model 4 in NorwayHe didn't come out and mention it by name—but he might as well have.READ NOW
- RELATEDChatty Maps Is a Technicolor Chart of Urban SoundBig data does something fun with a turn-by-turn map of metropolitan sounds and emotions.READ NOW
- RELATEDAudi Q6 E-tron Quattro, an Electric SUV, Comes in 2018With Clean Diesel busted, Audi expedites this Tesla Model X competitor to clear the air.READ NOW
- RELATEDTesla Model S Catches Fire in NorwayNo injuries reported; EV pride burned to crisp.READ NOW