Buried Treasure in a Miami Beach Parking Garage
South Beach car culture is all about exotics. Here’s a little tribute to the domestic heroes that ride in relative anonymity.
The Miami-Ft. Lauderdale area is known for many things. Sparkling beaches. Gorgeous weather. Nude sunbathers. Also, scores of beautiful foreign vehicles, daily-driven luxe and brightly-colored exotics. Latin street car culture, the newly moneyed, and holdovers from the cocaine confiscation era all collide to make a singular kind of motoring atmosphere. With all the plush droptops and scissor-doored goodness you’ll see cruising down the strip in South Beach, it’s easy to lose the American metal. Especially when it’s hidden underground.
While staying with a friend in one of the fancy apartment buildings at the south end of town, I accidentally stumbled upon a collection of buried treasure. Security was tight. Every time I entered the building, I had to sign in with a guard and have my picture taken at the front desk. Down in the garage, my finger trembled every time I pushed to shutter button. Would I be pinched by men in black suits and herded to a backroom for questioning? There's no telling how many of those cars belonged to Russian oligarchs or NBA stars.
Of course, there was plenty of fine European machinery, from a Carrera GT and Aston Martin Vantages to squeaky-clean Bentley Continentals and a matte black Rolls-Royce Ghost. But I honed in on the vintage landyachts and tuned Detroit muscle, parked off to the side, out of the spotlight.
Here, a tribute to the oft-overshadowed domestic cars of Miami. Enjoy.
- RELATEDFlorida Man Arrested for Pitching Alligator Into Drive-Thru WindowBecause Florida.READ NOW
- RELATEDMeet Miami’s Rarest FerrariFresh paint makes a fast car’s value rise even faster.READ NOW
- RELATEDInfamous Florida DUI Lawyer Tom Hudson Charged With DUIFail.READ NOW
- RELATEDBarn Find Unearths Rare British Motorcycle TreasuresLong-lost trove of Brough Superiors will be worth a fortune at auction.READ NOW
- RELATEDThe Barn Finds Are ComingDusty, dirty, decrepit and downright wonderful.READ NOW