Bunker Talk: Spooktacular Edition
It’s Halloween, so howl amongst yourselves.
Welcome to Bunker Talk. This is a weekend open discussion post for the best commenting crew on the net, in which we can chat about all the stuff that went on this week that we didn't cover. We can also talk about the stuff we did or whatever else grabs your interest. In other words, it's literally an off-topic thread.
Here's what this week's top shot is all about:
The Hack Green Secret Nuclear Bunker in Cheshire, England, began life as a bombing decoy — a so-called Starfish site — in World War II. Several miles from places the Germans might try to bomb, controlled fires and lights were set up to draw the bombers away. Later, it became a regional nuclear emergency bunker controlled by the British Home Office. According to a note on the site's Wikipedia page, the bunker was featured in an episode of the British television series Most Haunted: Midsummer Murders in 2007 and again in 2008. (Photo by Lee Bennett on Flickr, with some color filters applied, used under CC 2.0.)
Also as a kindly reminder:
- If you want to talk politics, do so respectfully and know that there's always somebody that isn't going to agree with you.
- If you have political differences, hash it out respectfully, stick to the facts, and no childish name-calling or personal attacks of any kind. If you can't handle yourself in that manner, then please, discuss virtually anything else.
- No drive-by garbage political memes. No conspiracy theory rants. Links to crackpot sites will be axed, too. Trolling and shitposting will not be tolerated. No obsessive behavior about other users. Just don't interact with folks you don't like.
- Do not be a sucker and feed trolls! That's as much on you as on them. Use the mute button if you don't like what you see.
- So unless you have something of quality to say, know how to treat people with respect, understand that everyone isn't going to subscribe to your exact same worldview, and have come to terms with the reality that there is no perfect solution when it comes to moderation of a community like this, it's probably best to just move on.
- Finally, as always, report offenders, please. This doesn't mean reporting people who don't share your political views, but we really need your help in this regard.
For the vast majority of our esteemed commentariat, these rules come naturally and seem redundant, and that is a truly wonderful thing.
Thanks to everyone who really does a great job making this a wonderful place.
So sit back and enjoy some quality weekend discussion!
Contact the editor: Tyler@thedrive.com