This Video Of F/A-18s Refueling From A KC-130 Near A Lightning Storm Is Sinister As Hell
The video has one of the most dramatic backdrops we have ever seen and a very relevant soundtrack, as well.
In an age of social media, it's pretty rare to see an aviation video that is totally different than anything we have seen before, but sometimes we get a fresh surprise. Case in point is this video that shows a formation of F/A-18 Hornets refueling from a KC-130 at night that has a full-on lightning storm as a backdrop. The clip is downright evil-looking in its intensity.
The video comes from one of our favorite Instagram follows, Combat_Learjet, and has little in the way of an explanation to go with it. Generally, flying through a lightning storm is far from ideal, but this is especially true when your jet is attached to a flying gas station via a hose that has hundreds of gallons flowing through it every minute. So, we can only surmise that the formation was skirting around the storm, which provided the incredible backdrop for the video with its no brainer "Thunderstruck" soundtrack.
It must have been one hell of a sight to behold for the crews of the F/A-18s and the KC-130. Aerial refueling is no easy task and doing it at night is not without its own elevated risks. Things can get very disorienting fast, which can lead to deadly consequences, and that is without mother nature's strobe light going nuts off to one side.
Regardless, the incredible atmosphere provided us with one heck of a unique aviation video to gawk at.
Check out these two unrelated videos. The first is a B-2 making a picturesque approach to Diego Garcia during the type's current deployment to the remote Indian Ocean island outpost. The second is an F-16 from the USAF's Viper Demo team pulling some triumphant vapes as it rockets into the vertical:
Contact the author: Tyler@thedrive.com
- RELATEDNew Zealand A-4s Flew Crazy Formation Rolls While "Plugged-In" To A Buddy TankerThe Royal New Zealand Air Force's A-4Ks performed multiple variations of the unique and challenging maneuver at air shows for years.READ NOW
- RELATEDMarine F/A-18 And KC-130 Collide During Refueling Sending Both Into Waters Off Japan (Updated)The aircraft were on a routine training mission out of MCAS Iwakuni, which is located in Yamaguchi Prefecture, Japan.READ NOW
- RELATEDWatch This F-35B Have A Bit Of Aerial Refueling Frustration On Its Way To The UKThe video is also a reminder of the jet’s often overlooked but unmitigated aerial refueling issues.READ NOW
- RELATEDThis Cockpit Video Of A KC-10 Refueling Another KC-10 Is AmazingIt all looks so smooth and almost easy until you take a closer look at the pilot's control inputs and the boom's movement.READ NOW
- RELATEDTanker Boom Operator Photographs Rare And Glorious Formation Of Four B-1B BombersThe B-1B fleet has suffered from very low readiness rates and airframe fatigue, so seeing four in formation at the same time is quite a treat.READ NOW