Watch Giant DC-10 Fire Bombers Make Intense Attack Runs On Arizona's Multiple Blazes
It's amazing just how close these huge tankers get to the sides of canyons and tops of ridges as they fight the spread of destructive wildfires.
Well, it's that time of year again. Fire season is upon us and the 10 Tanker team has deployed two of their four DC-10-30 very large air tankers (VLATs) to Arizona to fight the ongoing blazes that have struck the state. With fires burning on steep mountain ridges and inside tight canyons, the DC-10's power and maneuverability, and the 10 Tanker crews' skills, have been put to the test. Like always, they put on quite a show. Case in point are the videos below showing some of the most extreme recent retardant drops over the Copper State that will leave you biting your nails and holding your breath.
While the DC-10s held the mantle of the world's biggest aerial firefighting aircraft after Evergreen retired its largely passed-over, but way ahead of its time 747-100 VLAT, the 747 has regained the crown once again, with a 747-400 now in service with the Global Supertanker. Still, the 10 Tanker DC-10s are battle-proven after nearly a decade and a half of service and their 12,000 gallons of retardant can go a long way when trying to keep a fire from spreading into sensitive areas.
Check out 10 Tanker's latest report from the front lines of the Arizona fires here.
A huge thanks to 10 Tanker team and all the crews fighting fires out west, both in the air and on the ground!
Our friend Chris Clarke just posted this video of what looks like a real near disaster (at the very least a code brown) when a BAe-146 tanker barely made it past a ridgeline after dropping its retardant:
No doubt about it, aerial firefighting is a dangerous business.
Note the BAe-146 incident happened last year. Here is more info on it.
Contact the author: Tyler@thedrive.com
- RELATEDWatch This Epic Retardant Drop Run By A Firefighting DC-10One of 10 Tanker's DC-10s making it rain.READ NOW
- RELATEDBrazil To Deploy Military To Fight Amazon Fires As 747 Supertanker Arrives In BoliviaBrazil's response to the crisis so far has not been encouraging, which is deeply troubling because the Amazon accounts for 20% of the Earth's oxygen.READ NOW
- RELATEDA Swedish Air Force Gripen Fighter Jet Just Literally Bombed A Forest FireOfficials decided to try this approach to help contain a fire spreading at a military training range that is threatening nearby communities.READ NOW
- RELATEDWatch Russian Troops Snuff Out An Oil Well Blaze With An Anti-Tank GunUsing explosive blasts to put out large fires is actually an established technique, but employing an anti-tank gun to do it is far less common.READ NOW
- RELATEDUSAF Has Dispatched Its Air Sprayer C-130s To Texas In Response To Hurricane HarveyIt is a unique mission that only one unit in the Pentagon's portfolio is trained and equipped to execute.READ NOW