F-35's Gear Collapses After Landing At Hill Air Force Base
The aircraft was finishing up a routine training mission when the mishap occurred.
Details remain limited, but an F-35A's landing gear collapsed after touching down at Hill Air Force Base in Utah. We reached out to Hill's 75th Air Base Wing for more information. Below is their official statement:
This is what I have for you.
The landing gear of an F-35A Lightning II assigned to the 388th Fighter Wing collapsed today after landing on the runway here following a routine training flight. The pilot egressed the aircraft and is undergoing a routine medical evaluation.
In response to the incident, the runway is currently closed and aircraft from Hill AFB in flight at the time of the incident have been diverted to other airports. Additional training flights have been paused until the runway reopens.
A formal safety review board will investigate the incident.
DONOVAN K POTTER
75th ABW Media Chief
Hill Air Force Base, Utah
This is the second major F-35A mishap in a matter of weeks after one crashed at Eglin Air Force Base in Florida during landing following a routine training mission on May 20th, 2020. Like this latest incident, thankfully the pilot survived that one, as well.
Another F-35 suffered a gear malfunction after landing less than two years ago. That aircraft ended up with its nose on the tarmac at Eglin Air Force Base in Florida.
We will update this post as more information about the mishap comes available.
Contact the author: Tyler@thedrive.com
- RELATEDF-35 Has Crashed In Florida, Second Aircraft Loss For Eglin Air Force Base In Five DaysThe aircraft was on a routine night training mission when the incident occurred.READ NOW
- RELATEDUSAF F-35A Ends Up Nose Down On The Tarmac At Eglin AFB After Inflight EmergencyThe exact cause of the mishap and the extent of the damage to the stealth fighter jet aren't clear yet.READ NOW
- RELATEDHill Air Force Base Executes The Mother Of All Elephant Walks With 52 F-35sThe huge display of sortie generation capability comes as the base's F-35 force reaches full capacity after transitioning to the F-35 years ago.READ NOW
- RELATEDCheck Out This Totally Stripped Thunderbird F-16C Taking Off From Hill AFB's TaxiwayWith its main runway down for repair, Hill AFB's thin taxiway is being used by aircraft getting overhauled at the installation's service centers.READ NOW
- RELATEDWhoops! First F-35A Based In The Netherlands Got A Foam Bath By MistakeBase firefighters were supposed to give the plane a water salute to mark the arrival of the first Joint Strike Fighter to be based in the country.READ NOW