Fire Breaks Out On China's Massive New Type 075 Amphibious Assault Ship
The blaze struck while the ship was tied up to the pier at Hudong–Zhonghua Shipbuilding in Shanghai.
China's first big-deck amphibious assault ship, a huge vessel that was built in a miraculously short amount of time, caught fire on Saturday, April 11th, 2020. Photos and video showing the ship billowing large clouds of black smoke hit Chinese social media earlier in the day. The warship, which is the first of the new Type 075 class, was resting alongside the pier at its birthplace, Hudong–Zhonghua Shipbuilding in Shanghai, when the blaze broke out.
You can and should read all about the Type 075 and why it is a major accomplishment for the rapidly expanding People's Liberation Army Navy in this past piece of ours.
It is unclear how much damage has been done to the amphibious assault ship at this time, although it appears the fire emanated from, or at least involved, its well deck. A well deck is a floodable garage-like space that is used on amphibious assault ships for launching and recovering ship-to-shore transport boats and hovercraft, as well as amphibious fighting vehicles.
The second ship in the Type 075 class is wrapping up construction in the drydocks next to where the first is tied up. Some speculate that it could be launched very soon.
As such, the fire couldn't have come at a worse time and it could end up being an embarrassing setback for one of the People's Liberation Army Navy's banner shipbuilding programs, but just how big of a setback is still yet to be seen.
We will update this post with more information when it comes available.
UPDATE: 12AM PST—
Alert 5 has posted a better view of her stern. Pretty badly scorched:
Contact the author: Tyler@thedrive.com
- RELATEDChina Just Launched Its Huge And Incredibly Quickly Built Amphibious Assault ShipChina's first flattop amphibious assault ship will give the PLAN powerful new capabilities and a second example is already under construction.READ NOW
- RELATEDChina's New Amphibious Assault Ship Is A MonsterThe vessels will give China a high-end amphibious assault capability that can be used both regionally and far from home.READ NOW
- RELATEDRussia's Accident-Plagued Aircraft Carrier Is On Fire (Updated)Just over a year after its dry dock literally sunk beneath it, the Admiral Kuznetsov is burning.READ NOW
- RELATEDNew Details On Russian Submarine Fire Emerge Along With An Intriguing Schematic (Updated)The still very mysterious accident has focused international media attention on Russia's most secretive submarines.READ NOW
- RELATEDRussian Icebreaker Under Construction Bursts Into Flames, Injuring At Least TwoThe blaze is the latest in a series of major accidents at Russia's beleaguered naval bases and shipyards in 2018.READ NOW