Offutt Air Force Base Is Evacuating All Flyable Aircraft
The base, which is the home of U.S. Strategic Command, has been ravaged by tornados and floods in recent years.
Offutt Air Force Base in Nebraska, home of U.S. Strategic Command, is evacuating all flyable airframes due to severe weather, which includes hail and lightning, heading its direction. As it sits now, a total of nine of the base's aircraft are being tracked streaming southwest to far tamer climates. The installation has been hit by tornadoes and a terrible flooding incident in recent years, the latter of which it is still recovering from after requiring a billion dollars in repairs.
News of the strange aircraft movements came to my attention through aviation photographer Paul Carter, who had spotted a bevy of RC-135s and other aircraft from the base in the air simultaneously. Other flight trackers have also picked up on the peculiar movements.
The War Zone reached out to Offutt AFB's public affairs to get a clearer picture of what exactly was going on. We were informed that there was an aircraft evacuation underway due to some very harsh weather heading towards the base. Its fleet of strategic surveillance and command and control aircraft is extremely vulnerable to extreme weather as most sit on the ramp in the open.
We will update this story when more information comes available.
Contact the author: Tyler@thedrive.com
- RELATEDTwo USAF E-4B "Doomsday Planes" Damaged In Tornado At Offutt Air Force BaseThe E-4Bs' tails were sticking out of their hangars when the tornado struck.READ NOW
- RELATEDA Tornado Left the USAF With Only One Active E-4B "Doomsday Plane" for MonthsThe incident only underscores the need for the service to move quickly to find replacements for the aging and expensive to operate planes.READ NOW
- RELATEDSetting The Record Straight On Why Fighter Jets Can't All Simply Fly Away To Escape StormsOutrage over F-22s left behind at Tyndall AFB as Michael hit and statements saying they should have all been flown away are divorced from reality.READ NOW
- RELATEDThis Strategic Air Command Airpower Demonstration From 1987 Is Just BonkersA B-52, KC-10, FB-111, and two KC-135s pulled off wild maneuvers, many of which wouldn't be allowed today, over Offutt AFB at the end of the Cold War.READ NOW
- RELATEDRC-135 Rivet Joint Surveillance Jet Emerges With Puzzling New ModificationAn odd antenna installation has taken the place of a fairly recent satellite communications upgrade on one of the important signals intelligence jets.READ NOW