Experience Close Encounters Of The Military Kind With These Two Crazy Videos
I guess you can never be too close to the action... That is until you are! In this case, we get very up close and personal with a Su-27 and T-72.
For military and aerospace technology aficionados, proximity to the weapon systems they are so interested in is highly valued. The size of a heavy fighter can't really be appreciated in photos and videos and the sounds that a main battle tank makes are quite unique to hear with your own ears. For aviation photographers, the better the access the more creative and striking your images are likely to be, at least in many circumstances. But sometimes things can get almost a bit too close for comfort, as is the case with the two videos below.
The first video was shot in 2019 and is of a Ukrainian Su-27P Flanker getting really, really close to a bunch of surely extremely stoked aviation photographers flying in the back of a Shorts Skyvan operated by Sky Force of Poland. The aerial meetup was directed by aviation photographer Sławek "Hessia" Krajniewski. The video itself was shot by Krzysztof Goralczyk according to one of Instagram's most prolific aerospace content posters and one of our favorite follows, Combat_Learjet, and it appears to have been filmed in conjunction with the Gdynia Aerobaltik Air Show that Ukrainian Flankers attended last year.
The Ministry Of Defense Of Ukraine has a couple 'in your face' photos from the air-to-air encounter posted on their official website. Here's one that appears to have been snapped during the pass that was captured in the video above:
Flanker pilots seem to be a uniquely curious bunch. This video of a Russian Su-30 getting close to poking its nose inside an Il-76's rear cargo door is another classic:
Then we hop over to India, where one of the country's T-72 main battle tanks pulled a Jaws-like move on some spectators at an armor demonstration and competition event:
Here's a side view of the tank on its haunches. Apparently, the super-aggressive maneuver was part of the program, but a thrill none the less:
I guess you can never be too close to the action... That is until you are!
Contact the author: Tyler@thedrive.com
- RELATEDThis Photo Of An F-16 High Over Arizona At Sunset Is Mind Blowingingly StunningThe image is perfect in composition, timing, and exposure, but beyond its technical merits, it just kicks a ton of ass.READ NOW
- RELATEDWatch F-35s Do A Spectacular Low-Level Flyby Over Photographers At Star Wars CanyonA pair of F-35 pilots from The Netherlands showed off their new mounts in amazing fashion to waiting photographers in Death Valley.READ NOW
- RELATEDCinema Aero: These Are The Aviation Videos You Absolutely Must Watch From The Last WeekThe past seven days have provided absolutely thrilling videos of some incredible and even downright dangerous flying.READ NOW
- RELATEDUnwrap These Ten Insanely Awesome Viral Aviation Videos This ChristmasWe are going to stick a bunch of ridiculously sweet videos of aircraft doing amazing stuff in your stocking.READ NOW
- RELATEDCheck Out These Sizzling Photos From Two Of Europe's Premier Air Combat DrillsMaster aviation photographer Rich Cooper takes us to the bustling flight lines of NATO's Tiger Meet and Tactical Weapons Meet.READ NOW