Bunker Talk: Labor Day Weekend Edition
We can talk about electronic warfare systems, mothballed F-117s, geopolitics, the cost of shipping U-2 chase cars—you know, no big whoop.
Welcome to Bunker Talk. This is a weekend open discussion post for the best commenting crew on the net, in which we can chat about all the stuff that went on this week that we didn't cover. We can also talk about the stuff we did. In other words, it's literally an off-topic thread.
This is a special edition of Bunker Talk for the Labor Day weekend. As you already know, a hideous hurricane is headed for Florida. Some models still show it as something of a worst-case scenario, striking perpendicular to the coast around Palm Beach and then making a hard right and driving north through the eastern portion of the state. There are multiple installations that could be severely impacted, from Sikorsky's facility in Palm Beach, to Kennedy Space Center, to NAS Jacksonville. Maybe most concerning is Naval Base Mayport, which is keeping the majority of its ships in port, apparently. It's not clear at this time if the ships cannot sortie or if this was a choice.
So, we will have to keep an eye on how this develops over the coming holiday.
The Bunker doors are slowly swinging open.
Contact the author: Tyler@thedrive.com
- RELATEDShadowy New Electronic Warfare System Has Been Installed On U.S. Navy 7th Fleet ShipsThe mysterious modular system with a peculiar past is designated AN/SLQ-59 and has been quietly deployed on Asia-based U.S. surface combatants.READ NOW
- RELATED51 F-117 Nighthawk Stealth Jets Remain In Inventory, None Destroyed Since 2008 (Updated)We finally have an official accounting of the F-117s, nearly all of which remain at Tonopah, but that is still set to change over the coming years.READ NOW
- RELATEDWe Now Know What This Unique Pop-Up Nose Panel On Air Force One And Nightwatch 747s Is ForThe system is totally unique to the tiny handful of 747 Jumbo Jets with aerial refueling capabilities.READ NOW
- RELATEDWait, The USAF Is Spending Hundreds Of Thousands Airlifting Two Dodge Chargers To The UK?The Air Force says it might just source chase cars there if it can't cut through various red tape to fly them. Why isn't it doing that already?READ NOW
- RELATEDCheck Out This F-35 Helmet Display Video Of A Rolling Landing On The HMS Queen ElizabethIt gives us a great look at the "virtual HUD" the pilot sees when looking forward and at what these rolling landings look like from the cockpit.READ NOW