Soar Over Oshkosh In The World's Only Flying Twin Mustang In This Cockpit Video
The XP-82 Twin Mustang took its first flight just months ago and now we have historic video shot from inside one of its cockpits during flight.
We had been tracking the progress of Tom Reilly's XP-82 Twin Mustang project as it finally approached and executed its first flight. Now, after over a decade of work, the Twin Mustang has finally roared through the skies over the Experimental Aircraft Association's Airventure Air Show in Oshkosh, Wisconsin. Although the modern military participants are usually a big hit as they rocket through the air with afterburners alight, the one-of-a-kind and ridiculously ambitious Twin Mustang project is what EAA is really all about.
Once again, our friends over at Airshowstuff.com knew exactly how to best cover the Twin Mustang's participation at Oshkosh, just as they have done in the past with other aircraft of major historical significance—they put the viewer right in the cockpit. In this case, it is in the right-side cockpit of the XP-82, the one without the pilot in it. This also provides us with a clear view of the stick inputs throughout the aircraft's flight and an awesome, but a little bit bizarre perspective on the XP-82's other Packard Merlin V12 churning away. It almost looks like another P-51 is in extremely tight formation, but that's just a very real reminder of the crazy design configuration of the Twin Mustang.
In addition, the Airshowstuff.com team also shot the aircraft flying from the ground. The sound alone in both videos is worth the time you take watching them. Also, keep in mind that the cockpit XP-82 video itself is unlike any other in existence. It had been decades since a Twin Mustang flew, long before the GoPro revolution began. In other words, this is a truly groundbreaking warbird video.
In total, it took 207,000 hours of labor to get the 70-year-old XP-82 into an airworthy condition. It is so exciting to see it actually flying. People like Tom Reilly who dedicate ridiculous amounts of time and money to keeping our flying heritage alive have our greatest respect and admiration. They make things that seem impossible, possible. Truly amazing.
There's only one thing better than a Mustang... A Twin Mustang! Well, then again, maybe a P-61 Black Widow!
Contact the author: Tyler@thedrive.com
- RELATEDListen To A P-82 Twin Mustang Purr, A Glorious Sound Not Heard In Over 30 YearsArguably one of the most exciting warbird restorations ever is coming to fruition and here's the sound to prove it.READ NOW
- RELATEDBehold The First P-82 Twin Mustang To Take To The Skies In Over Three DecadesIt has taken well over ten years and 200,000 hours of labor to reach this awesome milestone.READ NOW
- RELATEDWatch This Fabulous Ride Onboard the Last of the USAF’s F-4 PhantomsAmerica’s remaining QF-4 Phantoms are putting on quite a show as their retirement nears.READ NOW
- RELATEDThese Exhilarating F-35 and F-22 Twilight Afterburner Passes Will Start Your Week Off RightRaptors and Lightnings tore up the skies over Oshkosh as the sun was setting last week resulting in this teeth-rattling video!READ NOW
- RELATEDYou Can Buy The World’s Largest Operational Flying Boat For About The Price Of A P-51 MustangIs owning a huge, 70-year-old firefighting seaplane on your bucket list?READ NOW