Mattis Is Out As Defense Secretary In Wake Of Trump's Sudden Syria Withdrawal Order
Mattis' resignation letter makes the much-speculated disagreements between the two men on key issues crystal clear.
Retired General James Mattis has officially resigned as the 26th U.S. Secretary of Defense. The news comes after President Donald Trump decided with little warning and against overwhelming advice from his cabinet and senior advisers to rapidly withdraw all personnel from Syria and end combat operations in the country overall, something Mattis has made clear time and time again would be an error with profound consequences.
Trump framed the resignation as a "retirement" in the Tweet seen below, but Mattis' resignation letter makes it clear that the two do not see eye to eye and that someone whose "views are better aligned with your own on these and other subjects" would better serve Trump. Mattis also mentions the need to treat our allies with respect and to provide clear global leadership—a clear swipe at Trump's foreign policy—in the relatively long resignation letter that is also posted in the tweets below.
This also comes as multiple reports that Trump will also order a withdrawal of forces from Afghanistan are surfacing. This is something I said would be a very likely possibility after yesterday's sudden orders.
Mattis is very highly regarded on both sides of the aisle and is seen by Trump's political opponents as "the last adult in the room" after it was announced retired General John Kelly was also leaving his position as White House Chief of Staff. Combined with a looming government shutdown over funding for Trump's border wall—even after a stop-gap spending measure has been passed by Congress—as well as the tightening focus of the Mueller Investigation—one of 17 investigations into Trump's political and business practices—this news is sure to rattle Washington to its core.
We will save the opinion for another post, but we want to hear from you! Let us know what your thoughts are on this news in our always lively comments section below.
Contact the author: Tyler@thedrive.com
- RELATEDTrump Orders Sudden Withdrawal From Syria Which Could Result In A Huge Power Vacuum (Updated)The president has long wanted to pull out of the Syrian conflict, but doing so now would give breathing room to terrorists and other malign actors.READ NOW
- RELATEDSecDef Mattis Candidly Talks Domestic Social Strife With Troops In Impromptu SpeechMattis gives a uniquely insightful off-the-cuff speech surrounded by his beloved troops.READ NOW
- RELATEDMattis Got A Kick Out Of Indonesian Soldiers Drinking Snake Blood During Bizarre DisplayIndonesian special forces gave the American Secretary of Defense one crazy sendoff.READ NOW
- RELATEDMattis's Top Worry On Syrian Strike Is "Keeping It From Escalating Out Of Control"The fear of U.S. strikes on Syria leading to a larger and much more dire military conflict with Russia is not lost on the Secretary of Defense.READ NOW
- RELATEDHere's What SecDef Mattis Thinks About Retaining All Three Legs Of The Nuclear TriadMattis spoke candidly about his views on the need for America to continue maintaining nuclear bombers, ballistic missile submarines, and ICBMs.READ NOW