You Have To See The Rest Of What May Be The Coolest Shot Ever Of The B-2 Stealth Bomber
This totally unique photo of the most expensive combat aircraft ever made looks like it is was taken in the future and of a spaceship.
The B-2 Spirit looks just as futuristic today as it did when it was unveiled to the public three decades ago. It is my favorite aircraft to photograph and I am still amazed at how dramatically it can 'morph' in appearance depending on the lighting and angle of view. But there is one image I recently found that may be the most unique of the stealth bomber.
If you follow me on Twitter, you know the flying-wing bomber's ability to 'change shape' in front of the camera lens is a bit of an obsession of mine.
The B-2 can look downright alien as well, and even like the subject of a popular science-fiction adventure story from the 1980s.
Yet this photo, taken by Michael L. Abramson in 1999, is totally unique. It has a real techno-thriller aura and a sense of mystery. It also paints a deep contrast between man and machine. It seems to make clear that the pilots are just visitors within the B-2's seemingly otherworldly realm. The 35mm texture also adds to the atmosphere of the image.
Thankfully, we have at least another 15 years to enjoy the finely sculpted Spirit before it is fully replaced by the B-21 Raider. What happens to the 20 stealth bombers after that is up in the air, but don't expect many of them to end up in museums as even after four and a half decades their radar-evading structure will still be highly classified.
What's your favorite B-2 pic? Show it to us in the comments section below.
Contact the author: Tyler@thedrive.com
- RELATEDThe Air Force Can't Say What It Plans To Do With Its Retired B-2 BombersThe goal is to have them all out of service by 2032, but putting them in storage or destroying them could be complicated and costly.READ NOW
- RELATEDWhy the B-2 Stealth Bomber Was Used to Strike ISIS Camps in LibyaAmerica's most valuable stealth combat aircraft might have seemed like an odd choice to bomb a target whose air defenses were neutered in 2011. It wasn't.READ NOW
- RELATEDThis Giant B-2 Replica Is How Airmen Train To Load Weapons Onto A Stealth BomberIt's the largest contraption of its kind and is key in teaching ground crews how to load the B-2 up with some of the deadliest weapons on earth.READ NOW
- RELATEDThis Elite B-2 Stealth Bomber Test Unit's Challenge Coin May Be The Coolest Ever'Round metal objects' get ever more ornate and complex as the years go by, but this one is just about the best we have ever seen.READ NOW
- RELATEDHuge Strategic Exercise Is Underway With Half The B-2 Fleet Airborne Over The U.S. (Updated)A series of strategic aircraft movements, including the congregation of a dozen KC-10s tankers, signaled a major operation was underway.READ NOW