Highlights From Twitter's Defense Community's Response To Trump's Space Force
The creation of a new branch of the U.S. military is going to be one hell of a saga, but there will be a lot of laughs along the way.
President Trump has been hinting at his intention to direct the Pentagon to create a space force for a while now. Today he did just that, making the establishment of a Space Force a major policy of his administration. You can read all about this supposed Space Force and the questions surrounding it in our major feature on the news. But aside from all the force structure issues, budgetary minutia, and inter-service infighting that goes along with a very controversial move like this, the hyperactive defense-related Twitter community had some seriously funny gems that I thought would be worth sharing.
David Larter wins the MVP award for an awesome string of tweets about who Trump will be tapping for to head-up Space Force:
This little gem comes to us from Royal Air Force photographer @Rawlimark:
@Blondsovrbaghd celebrated the announcement with a space-mosa:
Patrick Norton found the perfect song for Space Force:
@Sgtjanedoe was asking the hard questions:
@Duffleblog rightfully invoked Starship Troopers:
@Aaron_porvost pondered unleashing Mattis on the Galaxy:
Prolific tweeter Kelsey Atherton remarked on Trump's use of 'separate but equal' language during his announcement:
One of my contacts was all about the reality of Space Force recruiters:
Valerie Insinna said it best for all of us who have been following the Space Force saga:
Tara Copp foresaw the front row attendees at the next SOTU:
And this one is just a classic:
But out of all the tomfoolery, I think Joseph Dempsey's tweet is my favorite of all:
Sometimes you just gotta laugh.
I am sure we missed some great ones, let us know or post your own in the comments below!
Contact the author: Tyler@thedrive.com
- RELATEDSix Down To Earth Questions We Have About Trump's Space ForceThe president has told the U.S. military to get moving on standing up its sixth branch, but doing so will be easier said than done.READ NOW
- RELATEDHighlights From Twitter's Defense Community's Responses To Tom Cruise's Top Gun 2 TeaserTo say that anticipation, as well as concern, over a Top Gun sequel is high in defense circles would be a massive understatement.READ NOW
- RELATEDA Primer On The Raging Battle For A New Pentagon Space CorpsAs Defense Secretary James Mattis enters the debate, lawmakers are already deeply divided about creating a new military branch.READ NOW
- RELATEDOfficial USAF Twitter Jokes About Nuclear War and Questions Santa's ExistenceThe stewards of America's deadliest weapons aren't above quoting 1983's "WarGames" and intraservice rivalry.READ NOW
- RELATEDThis Navy Squadron’s Music Video Is the Most Wonderfully Horrible ’80s Thing EverApparently, the Navy's fighter crews weren't the only ones who thought highly of themselves during the Top Gun era.READ NOW