See the Koenigsegg Regera Do a Massive Burnout
Just because it's a hybrid doesn't mean it needs to be Earth-friendly.
When Swedish supercar manufacturer Koenigsegg announced it would follow up the Agera with a single-speed hybrid called the Regera that would make around 1,500 horsepower and would top out north of 240 miles per hour, we at The Drive were inherently a little skeptical of such bold claims. But not only has Christian von Koenigsegg made this ambitious supercar a reality—as it turns out, the Koenigsegg Regera can do one hell of a burnout.
A video posted on the carmaker's Facebook page on Monday shows a red Regera laying down enough smoke to make a Hellcat insecure as it tears down what appears to be the carmaker's runway test track. With a maximum of 1,475 lb.-ft. of torque available—much of it right off the line, thanks to the three electric motors powered by a battery pack pumping out up to 525 kW—the new Koenigsegg makes more than three times the twist of an Audi R8 V10 Plus.
And oh, man...the noises this puppy makes as it opens that extra-large can of lutfisk-flavored whup-ass. Don't watch this video on the Koenigsegg Facebook page unless you have a lot of time to spare; it auto-plays on repeat, and it's way too easy to get sucked into an endless loop of watching and listening to the Regera shredding rubber while revving the hell out of its twin-turbo 5.0-liter V-8.
Since the video is tragically blurry—we assume Koenigsegg decided the video would get more traction if it could be mistaken for UFO footage—we're also adding in the carmaker's footage of the production-spec Regera hitting the streets of Sweden a few weeks ago. That footage, at least, offers a decent look at the car, since it appears to have been filmed on a modern camera instead of a Motorola RAZR.
- RELATEDOn 7/07, We Celebrate Dodge Hellcats and the Devil's BrigadeGreat things happen when Canadians and Americans play nice.READ NOW
- RELATEDKoenigsegg's Regera Is the World's Most Endearing Instrument of ChaosNo gears. All the horsepower. Also, something called "Autoskin."READ NOW
- RELATEDWhy I’d Buy an Audi R8 V10 Instead of a LamborghiniDon’t sleep on the “bargain-basement” supercar.READ NOW
- RELATEDA Koenigsegg One:1 Just Crashed at the NurburgringSuper-powerful supercar wipes out during testing.READ NOW
- RELATEDKoenigsegg Employees Drive the Most Eclectic CarsWho knew Swedish engineers had a thing for mid-Eighties Mercurys?READ NOW