No More 'Shoey' Celebrations For Red Bull F1's Daniel Ricciardo
Goodbye, old friend.
Athletes tend to be more superstitious than others. Game day, or in this case, race day rituals seem to be a must for drivers like Red Bull F1's Daniel Ricciardo. However, the Aussie may have one of the most unusual victory celebrations of all, urging random victims to take part in a shoey, otherwise known as drinking the sweet, sweet champagne from a sweaty, sweaty racing boot. However, after seeing five of these, erg, questionable performances in the last five races, Ricciardo says that the shoey may have run its course.
The shoey is typically placed upon, but not limited to, fellow drivers challenged by Ricciardo himself. Hell, he's even put the burden on Sir Patrick Stewart. But after yet another podium for the driver last Sunday, things may be coming to an end for the tradition.
"I heard the Finns drink. I really heard that. But Valtteri did not carry his flag well last Sunday," he said. "Shame on him. Wow. Valtteri Bottas. Disappointed. That's it. No more shoeys."
Admittedly, the gimmick went on longer than the Red Bull star expected.
"I'm just walking along, minding my business and they're like 'do a shoey' ... I don't actually just take my shoe off while I'm walking in the street and drink out of it. I feel like I dug a hole for myself with this one," he said.
The informal toast even caught on with F1 interviewers with David Coulthard and Martin Brundle encouraging it.
"DC (Coulthard) took my shoes off and then in Austria Martin was frothing for it. I feel like there's some real sick bastards around here. I never thought it would continue like this," says Ricciardo.
With a bit of strange reluctance, we bid the shoey farewell. But, if Ricciardo goes on another tear like he has for the last handful of grand prix races, it might just make a comeback.
- RELATEDSir Patrick Stewart Did the Shoey After the Canadian GPYou can be knighted by the Queen of England and still be one of the lads.READ NOW
- RELATEDWatch F1 Drivers Max Verstappen and Daniel Ricciardo Race Aston Martins Towing CampersHopefully they don't plan on using those campers later.READ NOW
- RELATEDWatch Red Bull F1 Drivers Daniel Ricciardo and Max Verstappen Race Tiny Boats in AustraliaWater replaced asphalt for these F1 drivers for one day Down Under.READ NOW
- RELATEDWhat Is Red Bull Racing Cooking Up for Silverstone?Known upgrades and suspicious activities in the Red Bull Racing garage have some wondering if the bull's about to show its horns.READ NOW
- RELATEDWatch Red Bull's Mad Mike Drift Around Goodwood in this Wacky TourWho needs a tour bus when you have a trophy truck?READ NOW