Jeep Wrangler Supplier Announces Temporary Layoffs, Foretelling the End of the JK Wrangler
Such layoffs are normal when production ends for one vehicle and retools for another.
An official layoff notice to the State of Ohio has revealed when Fiat-Chrysler will begin to wind down production of the JK chassis Jeep Wrangler. Automotive News reports that Hyundai Mobis North America, a parts supplier for the Wrangler, has notified the state government that JK production will end April 7.
Approximately 570 people will be laid off at FCA's Toledo, Ohio plant while the JK production line is retooled for the new JL Wrangler pickup truck. Such temporary layoffs are perfectly normal in between production cycles and are no indication of problems at Fiat-Chrysler. There's simply no production work for these employees to do while the production line is shut down. In most cases, laid off workers are rehired when production resumes, and it is reasonable to expect that this will be the situation in Toledo.
Production has already started for the standard JL Wrangler, which is currently being built alongside the old JK model to ensure an uninterrupted supply stream of Wranglers for dealers. Once the production line is retooled for the JL pickup both versions of the Wrangler will be built side-by-side, simplifying production of both because they will share so many parts.
The JK Wrangler has had a good ten-year run. It's still popular today, but it's due for a refresh, and the JL looks to be exactly what we wanted to see in a new Wrangler. Meanwhile, you can still get a good deal on the JK Wrangler while it lasts. Pricing starts at $23,995 MSRP, as opposed to $26,995 for the new JL Wrangler.
- RELATEDWitness This Old Jeep Wrangler Climb a Dang Vertical Canyon WallClimbing walls: It's a Jeep thing.READ NOW
- RELATEDThis Jeep Wrangler Has Viper SRT-10 Power'What this Wrangler needs is a 500-plus horsepower Dodge Viper V-10.'READ NOW
- RELATED2018 Jeep Wrangler First Drive: The All-New Wrangler Sets the Standard, AgainIf you buy this Jeep and don’t test its mettle in the wild, your car-cred will be revoked.READ NOW
- RELATEDExclusive Spy Shots Suggest 2019 Jeep Wrangler Pickup Truck Will Still Have Fold-Down WindshieldSeeking the truth in a Los Angeles Burger King parking lot.READ NOW
- RELATEDPlug-In Hybrid Jeep Wrangler Confirmed for 2020Would you take a plug-in Wrangler off road?READ NOW