The Ford EcoSport is Finally Available in the U.S.
It's been over a year since the U.S. version of the cute ute was announced.
Ford has been mysteriously late to the subcompact crossover party in the U.S. It’s a hot segment that grew 14 percent in the U.S. in 2017 thanks to popular models like the Jeep Renegade and Chevy Trax and newcomers like the Honda HR-V and Toyota C-HR. Ford announced that the cute little EcoSport—which has been available globally since it was introduced in South America in 2003—would soon be available in the U.S. way back in November 2016.
Fast forward about 14 months and EcoSports finally started showing up in U.S. dealer inventories last week. What took Ford’s cute ute so long between being announced and actually arriving? "We are introducing the all-new EcoSport to Ford’s Always Unstoppable SUV line-up for the first time ever and wanted a healthy amount of time to help make U.S. consumers aware of this exciting new nameplate," said a Ford SUV representative in an email to The Drive.
Anyways, on to the EcoSport itself. It’s certainly nothing groundbreaking and kind of looks like a Ford Escape, but smaller. Front-wheel drive is standard as is a 1.0-liter three-cylinder EcoBoost engine which, incidentally, was just revoked from the Fiesta in the U.S. You can also get a naturally aspirated 2.0-liter four-cylinder and all-wheel drive is optional. Both engines come equipped with a six-speed automatic transmission.
The Ford EcoSport is available in four trims; the base S, the mid-range SE, the luxurious Titanium, and the sporty SES. Pricing starts at $19,995 and you can expect to start seeing these things all over the place very soon.
- RELATEDThe Ford EcoSport Features Super Strong Cargo CarrierIt can hold up to 700 pounds, and it weighs only 6.READ NOW
- RELATEDFord Unveils 2018 EcoSport Model for LA Auto ShowThe newest addition to Ford's lineup will serve as the company's smallest SUV.READ NOW
- RELATEDFord Put on Quite the Show for the EcoSport RevealDJ Khaled, Ryan Seacrest, and several other celebrities showed up to push Ford's Go Small, Live Big inititative.READ NOW
- RELATEDFord Unveils Clever Honeycomb-Inspired EcoSport Cargo ShelfThe six-pound cargo shelf can hold nearly 700 pounds without bending.READ NOW
- RELATEDThe Ford Fusion Mid-Life Refresh Has Been CanceledThat's yet another nail in the coffin of the best-selling mid-size sedan in the U.S.READ NOW