Forza Motorsport 7 Named Best Sports/Racing Game at The Game Awards
It beat out GT Sport, Project Cars 2, NBA 2K18, FIFA, and PES.
Despite its shortcomings, Forza Motorsport 7 took home the award for Best Sports/Racing Game at The Game Awards Thursday night, beating out a field of nominees that comprised of both fellow racers and a selection of this year's best sportsball simulators. The losers included Forza-archrival Gran Turismo Sport, Project Cars 2, NBA 2K18, FIFA 18, and Pro Evolution Soccer 2018.
This also marks the second win in a row for the Microsoft racing franchise with 2016's Forza Horizon 3 taking home the same trophy last year, and also the fourth time in the show's four-year history a vehicle-related title has gone home as the Best Sports/Racing Game. Rocket League and Mario Kart 8 were crowned with the distinction in 2015 and 2014, respectively. Must try harder, tennis-game devs.
While the dedicated and opinionated racing enthusiasts among you will no doubt have much to say about whether or not developer Turn 10 deserves its latest accolade, it's hard to deny FM7's mainstream appeal. With one of the largest and most diverse vehicle and track rosters ever digitized, its sleek and PR-friendly graphical prowess, and relatively accessible gameplay beats, the game brings automotive fantasy to the couch-dwelling masses—very successfully so, apparently.
Forza Motorsport 7 is now available on Xbox One.
- RELATEDOur Review of Forza Motorsport 7: Is It Worth the Upgrade?The take after 814 miles driven, and more than eight hours spent on track.READ NOW
- RELATEDForza Motorsport 7, GT Sport, Project Cars 2 All Nominated for a Game AwardThe trio of racers vie for the title of Best Sports/Racing Game along with FIFA, Pro Evolution Soccer, and NBA 2K18.READ NOW
- RELATEDBuy This Porsche 911 GT2 RS Xbox Controller for Forza Motorsport 7If you can't afford the $300,000 car, you can get this controller for a thousandth of the price.READ NOW
- RELATEDGran Turismo Sport Free Updates Add Singleplayer Campaign, 15 New CarsThe newest Gran Turismo game goes old-school.READ NOW
- RELATEDExclusive First Impressions From Gran Turismo Sport BetaHands-on with Gran Turismo's long-awaited PS4 debut.READ NOW