Volkswagen EV Crossover Based On I.D. Crozz Concept Coming to the U.S. in 2020
A new concept at the Los Angeles Auto Show will bring us a step closer to the production model.
The Volkswagen I.D. Crozz is still a concept car, but it’s our best hint so far at VW’s first production electric crossover. Volkswagen just announced that an all-new EV crossover concept is coming to the LA Auto Show and a real production model will arrive in 2020.
“The I.D. Crozz-based electric vehicle will be an affordable and stylish electric SUV—and there is more to come!” said Hinrich J. Woebcken, President and CEO of Volkswagen Group of America in a press release. “The I.D. Crozz and the I.D. Buzz will help Volkswagen to kick off an EV revolution in the United States. All of our I.D. concept cars demonstrate the inherent flexibility, driving range and smart design that can serve the needs of 21st-century drivers.”
To recap, the I.D. Crozz is an electric crossover concept about the size of a 2018 Tiguan that was unveiled at the Shanghai Auto Show in April of this year. The I.D. Crozz claims 302 horsepower, an 80 percent charge in 30 minutes, and a range of 300 miles on a full charge. Those numbers are fairly realistic, especially for a model coming out in 2020, so we’re optimistic that aside from aesthetics, the production model won’t be too far off from the concept.
Other than being a slick electric crossover, the I.D. Crozz has some cool party tricks up its sleeve like voice-activated doors and trunk, gesture control, and an augmented reality head-up display. Like many concepts these days, it has self-driving technology that gives us a glimpse into the manufacturer’s plans for an autonomous future. Volkswagen calls its self-driving tech suite I.D. Pilot and it’s expected to launch in 2025.
It’s always hard to predict how close a production model will be to the concept, but we have high hopes that Volkswagen’s first shot at an electric crossover will help bring electrified cars to the masses.
- RELATEDVolkswagen Has 4 New EVs ComingElectric cars, for the people.READ NOW
- RELATEDVW Shows Off Newest Member of I.D. Electric Car Family with Crozz ConceptVolkswagen announces the third of four new self-driving EV concepts.READ NOW
- RELATEDVolkswagen Will Spend $40 Billion on Electric Vehicles and Self-Driving Cars Through 2022Time to open up the check book.READ NOW
- RELATEDVolkswagen Refines the Crozz Electric Car Prototype for the Frankfurt Motor ShowVolkswagen's road to electric cars is paved in red.READ NOW
- RELATEDVolkswagen to Bring Crozz EV Crossover to America, Report SaysVolkswagen's newest crossover EV concept is coming stateside.READ NOW