Here's a Recap on the Tesla Semi Before Tonight's Live Stream Unveiling
Tesla will reveal its long-awaited Semi in a live broadcast tonight.
I hope you're ready to have your mind blown because Tesla's long-awaited contribution to the commercial trucking industry is finally ready to be unveiled to the world tonight. Speculated to be one of the most significant advances in commercial transport technology, the electric Semi is putting even regular consumers on the edge of their seats to see just what the California-based auto manufacturer has to offer.
If there's one thing that Tesla is good at, it's keeping new products under an Apple-esque shroud of uncertainty until a reveal. Tonight, the company will reveal something that may change the commercial transportation industry forever. Details are currently slim. However, Tesla has already put a live placeholder for its Semi online to ready the exchange of information about the newest member of its vehicle lineup.
Currently, the freight transportation industry uses about 7 percent of the total energy consumed in the United States. Using an electric drivetrain, the Semi is expected to offset this number by being more efficient. Prior expectations point the Semi at having around 300 miles of range and being aimed at regional Class 8 freight transportation. This means that the Semi won't likely be used for cross-country treks, but will likely be able to tow over 33,000 pounds of freight using its many Model 3 electric motors. Considering the potential cost savings of fuel consumption, the Semi may very well interest commercial trucking outfits.
CEO Elon Musk is excited about the release, to say the least. In the past, he has openly said that the Semi was "better than anything [he's] seen reported so far" and just a few days ago, the CEO Tweeted that the reveal "will blow your mind clear out of your skull and into an alternate dimension." A bold statement indeed, especially considering that key players in the commercial trucking market have taken advantage of the late unveiling of Tesla's solution, revealing products of their own before the automaker had a chance.
A second surprise was hinted by Musk back in September, so we're hoping to see something revealed alongside the Semi, though Tesla has told The Drive before that it doesn't comment on speculation, so we'll just have to wait and see what that surprise is.
After hurricane Maria reared its head in October, Tesla committed to working with Puerto Rico to restore power and improve its aging electrical grid. Combined with looming Model 3 production delays, the decision was made to delay the reveal of the Semi. Today, the event is planned to occur just after Musk's SpaceX launches its Falcon 9 rocket this evening. Be sure to check in at Tesla's site tonight at 8 p.m. PST to tune into the live unveiling of the Semi.
We've reached out to Tesla for a direct link to the live stream and will update if one is provided.
- RELATEDMusk Says Tesla Semi Event Will 'Blow Your Mind Clear out of Your Skull'Huge expectations are being formed around Tesla's Semi unveil this week.READ NOW
- RELATEDToyota Set To Begin Testing Its 'Project Portal' Hydrogen Semi TruckThe truck will enter service at the Port of Los Angeles October 23.READ NOW
- RELATEDTesla Pushes Back Semi Reveal so it Can Provide Batteries to Puerto RicoBetween delays to the Model 3 and shifting battery production efforts to its Powerwall division, Tesla has decided to push back the Semi.READ NOW
- RELATEDTesla's Semi May Have Been Spotted in the WildTesla's elusive semi may have been spotted in California ahead of its debut.READ NOW
- RELATEDTesla May Tease a Second Car Alongside its Semi-Truck Reveal Next MonthTesla has something special up its sleeve when unveils its semi-truck next month.READ NOW