BMW Says It Already Sold 2 Million Cars This Year
The Bavarian make is expected to top its all-time sales record by the end of the year.
Monday, BMW announced that it surpassed the 2 million year-to-date sales mark for the second time in its history through the month of October. BMW is expected to beat its all-time sales record of 2,367,603, set in 2016, which also marked the first year in which the brand beat 2 million. Company-wide, global year-to-date sales figures are up 3.4 percent, buoyed by double-digit growth of both electrified and two-wheeled vehicles, seeing 63.7 and 10.4 percent jumps above 2016 figures over the same ten-month period. BMW and Mini saw comparatively small, but nonetheless significant 3.6 and 2.5 percent hikes, respectively.
These sales improvements come in spite of weakened sales in both U.S. and U.K. markets, whose sales dipped 5.1 and 3.2 percent respectively. These figures were offset by an Asia market clamoring for BMWs, which saw a region-wide 13.1 percent leap. Mainland China alone bought up 15.1 percent more vehicles, and the Japan market a more conservative, but still strong 6.3 percent growth in sales.
“Despite significant model changeovers and headwinds in some of our biggest markets," said BMW's Dr. Ian Robertson, "We have delivered over two million vehicles to customers in the first ten months of the year. Vehicles as wide-ranging as the BMW X1, the BMW 5 Series, 7 Series and the BMW i3, to name just a few, have all contributed to that growth."
Even at its current pace, BMW is would exceed 2.4 million global sales before 2017 comes to a close. With December touted as the best time to buy a new car, and traditionally strong sales for all companies in the bookending month, according to Edmunds, 2.4 million may prove a conservative estimate.
When asked about the brand's forecasted sales figures at year end, a BMW spokesperson told The Drive that the company does not speculate on sales figures.
- RELATEDIMSA: RLL Racing to Continue with BMW, Will Field All-New M8 GTE Next Season2018 will mark the tenth consecutive year of partnership between BMW and Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing.READ NOW
- RELATEDBMW M3 CS Revealed as the Most Powerful M3 to DateLimited to just 1,200 units, the M3 CS will come with a mild power bump and smattering of go-fast parts.READ NOW
- RELATEDBMW, Daimler, Ford, and Volkswagen Team Up for Ultra-Fast Charging NetworkThe Ionity network plans to install 400 supercharging stations by 2020.READ NOW
- RELATEDMonticello Motor Club's BMW M2 Racing School Is the Ivy League of Driver TrainingBetween race-prepped BMW M2's and top instructors, MMC's school is an unmatched trial-by-fire for drivers making the leap to racing.READ NOW
- RELATEDBMW Announces Sweeping Recall of 1 Million Cars Over Risk of Random Fires While ParkedA company spokesman says owners should park affected cars outside until a dealer fix is ready.READ NOW