Burt Munro Tribute Watch Commemorates the World's Fastest Indian
1,967 watches will be made recalling the year Munro broke the sub-1,000cc speed record.
It’s been 50 years since the legendary Burt Munro’s incredible achievement of setting the under-1,000cc world speed record of 184.087 mph at the Bonneville Salt Flats in 1967, a record that still stands today. Munro famously accomplished this record on a 1920 Indian Scout motorcycle he spent 20 years modifying himself. His story is documented in the 2005 film The World’s Fastest Indian starring Sir Anthony Hopkins playing the role of Munro.
To commemorate the 50 year anniversary of Munro’s astounding achievement, Indian Motorcycles has teamed up with Swiss watchmaker Baume & Mercier on a limited edition Burt Munro watch. It’s a Baume & Mercier Clifton chronograph bearing model number 10404 and only 1,967 will be made commemorating the year Munro broke his most famous record.
It’s been 50 years since Burt Munro took his Indian Scout Streamliner to the Bonneville Salt Flats and made history," said Indian in a statement. "As a result, Munro’s legacy transcends motorcycles and symbolizes the much broader drive to push beyond conventional limitations to experience or achieve what is seemingly impossible."
This Baume & Mercier is a stand-out timepiece with a calfskin strap in deep vermillion red much like Munro’s Scout Streamliner. A sandblasted silver dial mimics the surface of the Bonneville Salt Flats. The face of the watch has the number 35 in a yellow circle, which was Munro’s lucky number. The counterbalance on the second-hand looks like a stylized curve, but it’s actually the Indian “I” logo. The back of the watch bears an engraved Indian headdress logo along with numbering showing which model it is in the 1,967 watch production-run.
Pre-ordering for the Baume & Mercier Burt Munro Clifton watch is open now and you can get yours for $3,750. Delivery of the watch is expected in April of 2018. This premium timepiece would make a great collectible for anyone with a passion for both watches and speed...and a big watch budget.
- RELATEDLee Munro Breaks Speed Record on an Indian ScoutThe record was previously set by his great uncle Burt Munro on an Indian Scout Streamliner 50 years ago.READ NOW
- RELATEDPaul Newman's Rolex Daytona Sells for a Record $17.8 MillionEven Steve McQueen's sunglasses can't come close to that value.READ NOW
- RELATEDPick Up This Singer Watch for Just $41,000This would look great on you while driving your Singer-reimagined Porsche 911.READ NOW
- RELATEDThis Might Be the Ultimate Driver’s WatchDash timer? Desk clock? Wristwatch? Yes.READ NOW
- RELATEDTAG Heuer Re-Issues Two Great Motorsport WatchesThe Autavia and the Monza are coming back, and you get to vote for the design you love best.READ NOW