2018 Honda Civic Type R Hits Dealerships
More CTRs on the road may mean less ridiculous dealer markup.
After a successful launch and high praise from hot hatch junkies, the limited-edition Honda Civic Type R is going mainstream. The 2017 Civic Type R may have just launched this June, but the 2018 model is already on sale.
The 2018 Civic Type R now starts at $34,100, a $215 price bump over the previous model despite no other changes. As before, the new CTR uses Honda's signature turbocharged 2.0-liter VTEC engine, which produces 306 horsepower and 295 pound-feet of torque. Honda's mega hatch is loaded with other performance goodies like a 6-speed manual transmission, limited-slip differential, torque steer-mitigating suspension, and adaptive damper system for a more comfortable ride.
Despite its sporty nature, the new Type R is essentially a fully-loaded Civic. This means that satellite navigation, Android Auto/Apple CarPlay smartphone integration, and many other creature comforts found on other Civic trims are standard on the CTR. Honda's safety suite is no exception, so the Type R is equipped with Brake Assist, Electronic Brake Distribution, Stability Assist/Traction Control, and a multi-angle rearview camera.
We're hoping that the increased availability and new model year will reduce the insane dealership markup that the Civic Type R is cursed with. With more powerful versions of the hot hatch on the way, Honda will hopefully pull a Dodge and penalize dealerships that overcharged for the 2017 CTR by blacklisting them from getting new variants of the car.
The Civic Type R is a brilliant performance car, but worth $50,000? It is not.
- RELATEDHonda Civic Type R Owner Selling It on Craigslist for $55,000With only 600 miles, someone seems to be trying to make quite a profit by flipping this car.READ NOW
- RELATEDMore Proof that a Cheaper, Entry-Level Honda Civic Type R Will Be Available Next YearRecently discovered NHTSA filings confirm the Twitter rumors from earlier this year.READ NOW
- RELATEDHonda Creates Civic Type R-Inspired Lawn Mower, Lets The Haters HateInsert "Hondas are lawn mowers" joke here.READ NOW
- RELATEDHonda Will Sell the New Civic Type R's Turbo Four as a Crate EngineHonda's turbo 2.0-liter found in the Civic Type R will soon be available à la carte.READ NOW
- RELATEDUnlucky Honda Civic Type R Owner Gets Rear-Ended Heading Home from DealerDo insurance payouts account for adjusted dealer markups?READ NOW