Watch the Subaru WRX STI Type RA NBR Set a Nurburgring Record
Driver Richie Stanaway set a new sedan lap record in this specially prepared Subaru in July.
Subaru tapped FIA World Endurance Driver Richie Stanaway to pilot the Type RA around the 'Ring to set a new lap record for sedans. The car is quite a bit different from the Aston Martins he usually drives, but Stanaway got the job done and smashed the 7-minute mark with a time of 6:57.5 on his first dry lap. An earlier attempt in June was rained out but did produce some cool pictures and video. This time sets a high bar for others to beat, a full 35 seconds faster than the Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio that previously held the sedan lap record.
This car is vastly different than the Type RA that will appear in showrooms. It's a modified version of the setup that set a new lap record at the Isle of Man last year with Prodrive's 600-horsepower WRC engine that brings the familiar rally car burble back to the latest WRX. It also employs active aerodynamics, with a rear wing that raises and lowers on the fly to provide either less drag or up to 650 pounds of downforce as needed. This is no production car, but a car built with only one purpose in mind: To set a new Nürburgring record.
Not that I doubt Subaru's word, but I'd still like to see the full run. Still, this shows what was involved in the attempt, as well as some great shots of the Type RA at speed. Seeing as how Subaru has released videos of full record-setting runs at the Isle of Man and Mount Washington, we'll hopefully be able to see how Stanaway broke the seven-minute mark soon.
- RELATEDSubaru Drops More Powerful WRX STI Type RA and Special Edition BRZ tSSorry—no extra power for the BRZ.READ NOW
- RELATEDWatch the Subaru WRX STI Type RA Race Car Blast Around the Nurburgring in the WetSeems kind of like a waste of gas.READ NOW
- RELATEDAmazing Dad Is Selling His Subaru WRX STI To Pay For Daughter's ProcedureIf you are in the market for a clean Subaru WRX STI, don't look anywhere but here.READ NOW
- RELATEDThis 2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STi Has Just 6,000 MilesIt can be yours right now on bringatrailer.com.READ NOW
- RELATEDVideo Shows Moron Speeding, Crashing His New Subaru WRX STiThe eternal question: why do people post videos of themselves breaking the law?READ NOW