2018 Hyundai Elantra GT Starts at $19,350
Sportier than a VW Golf but not quite a hot hatch. Where does the new Elantra GT fall?
When Hyundai unveiled the hatchback variant of the 2018 Elantra, we weren't sure what to classify it as. It has all of the qualities a new hot hatch has—a turbocharged four-cylinder (on the Sport trim), practicality, sharp looks, nearly 200 horsepower, and a desire to oust the Golf GTI as hot hatch king with the help of its European-exclusive brother. Either way, the new Elantra GT is a handsome beast worthy of appearing on our hatchback shopping list.
Hyundai announced new details about the 2018 Elantra GT and GT Sport in a press release Wednesday, stating that the Elantra GT is geared towards those looking at CUVs but who want a more reasonable price tag and a more enjoyable driving experience. The new Elantra GT is styled specifically to emulate European-style hatchbacks, complete with a lower profile, wider stance, and more storage space- more than 25 cubic feet to be exact.
The Elantra GT will make 161 horsepower from its 2.0-liter GDI engine and can be had with either a manual or automatic transmission. Move up the GT Sport and you get turbocharged 1.6-liter GDI engine making 201 horses, plus a more pricey seven-speed dual-clutch transmission option if you don't want the manual. The Elantra GT Sport also gets bigger brakes to complement its 18" alloy wheels.
Its interior gets a technology overload with smartphone integration features like wireless charging and Apple CarPlay/Android Auto, as well as Hyundai's innovative Blue Link smart features. It also receives a suite of Hyundai's driver assists such as Smart Cruise Control, Lane Keep Assist, and Automatic Emergency Braking.
The 2018 Elantra GT starts at $19,350 and its sportier sibling at $23,250, which is a bargain for those in need of a family car with some punch. A release date still hasn't been announced, but the Elantra GT is itching to get out on the roads as soon as possible.
- RELATEDThe Hyundai Elantra Sport and Matt LeBlanc’s New Focus RS: The Evening RushPlus, huge discounts on Marmot jackets and waterproof backpacks from Overboard.READ NOW
- RELATEDThe Hyundai Elantra Is An Eager PuppyIt's diligent and it's priced to move, but will it move you?READ NOW
- RELATEDHyundai Promotes 2018 Sonata's Daily Drivability in New TV SpotHyundai says the new Sonata will make the daily commute a lot less dreary.READ NOW
- RELATEDThe i30 N Will Make All Future Hyundais More FunWith the advent of Hyundai's first N car, the company says future cars across its line will be more entertaining.READ NOW
- RELATEDHyundai Unveils the Kona Compact SUVHyundai has revealed everything you need to know about its sporty new crossover.READ NOW