2018 Mercedes-Benz GLE Coupe Gets New Details
The performance-tuned SUV Coupe mix gets more power, because what else would AMG give it?
With crossovers taking the market by storm, it appears that performance crossovers are the next big enthusiast fad. While other companies struggle to put the Sport in Sport Utility Vehicle, Mercedes-AMG has been building hot versions of every SUV in its lineup for years, from the boxy G-Class to the GLK-replacing GLC. The huge M-Class finally got its much-needed performance upgrade in 2015 when the AMG-tuned GLE Coupe came out. Already proven in the field, the GLE Coupe will get some enhancements for the 2018 model year, really showing that SUVs and performance can indeed go together.
Mercedes-Benz USA announced new details about the Alabama-built 2018 GLE43 and GLE63 S Coupe models in a press release Thursday. Both cars get two new premium interior at no extra cost, and 11 paint schemes to choose from.
The engines of both cars have been upgraded, with the GLE43's 3.0-liter V-6 Biturbo now making 385 horsepower and the GLE63 S' signature 5.5-liter Biturbo V-8 making an eye-watering 577 horsepower.
Mercedes-AMG's smart 4MATIC® all-wheel drive system will be fitted in both cars, allowing for much faster cornering speeds. Combined with AIRMATIC® air suspension and the car's active anti-roll bars, owners can take turns at higher speeds with minimal body roll.
The GLE43 Coupe will get the 9-speed 9G-TRONIC automatic transmission, known for its diverse amount of driver comfort gearing settings. The GLE63 receives the 7G-TRONIC semi-automatic gearbox that offers shifting speeds and responsiveness to rival most dual-clutch transmissions.
The GLE Coupe has three available packages that include different visual customization and driver assists. Cars fitted with the visual-enhancing AMG Performance Studio Package have access to up to 6 colors that can be applied to the outside of the vehicle at once. The Premium 1 package completely focuses on safety; featuring technology like Lane Keeping Assist, Blind Spot Assist, and Automatic Braking. The Parking Assist package does what the name says and includes Park Pilot aids and a 360º camera to help maneuver the massive GLE into any space.
The $70,500 GLE43 and $111,860 GLE63 Coupes are available in US dealerships now.
- RELATED2017 Mercedes-AMG GLE43 Test Drive: 7 First ImpressionsOur initial thoughts from behind the wheel.READ NOW
- RELATEDMercedes-AMG GLC63 Packs Tons of Power in Two Different BodiesIf you want the 503-horsepower version, though, you have to go for the GLC Coupe.READ NOW
- RELATEDThe 2018 Mercedes-AMG GT C Roadster Scorches ArizonaConvertible version of GT Coupe maximizes the view, maxes out at 196 mph.READ NOW
- RELATEDThe Mercedes-AMG GT Concept May Destroy the Porsche PanameraREAD NOW
- RELATEDA Raptor-Fighting Mercedes-AMG X-Class Probably Isn't HappeningYour dreams of a German Raptor will likely be crushed.READ NOW