This Guy Is Driving a McLaren F1 from London to Spa
Can you think of a better road trip?
Traveling across Europe is a dream for many. Key points from the New and Old World are trickled across the mountainous landscape, providing the ideal scenery for a day or week's journey. While most simply rent a compact and drive through the continent, this YouTuber is taking God's chariot—a McLaren F1—from London to Spa Francorchamps. Surveying countryside roads in the ultimate grand tourer sounds more like a page from a gentleman driver's favorite fiction novel, but in this case, it's being made into a reality.
Starting in England's capital, Mr JWW got together with a small crew and met his machine, a violet F1 that once belonged to Rowan Atkinson. He purchased the car for £640,000 in 1997, crashed it twice throughout his 18 years of ownership, then sold it for a £7.3m profit. From there, the small group moving out through the rest of Europe including legendary pit stops like the Nurburgring and Stuttgart. That last bit seems like a route straight from every gearhead's bucket list.
Through day one, they've covered a decent amount of ground on the near week-long journey. There's plenty of action to follow still, as most of the first stint was used to foreshadow the trip and what the crew will be doing.
Is there a better road trip out there? It's hard to imagine a better combination of location and transport considering the history wrapped up in each of them.
- RELATEDMcLaren F1 Team Will Stick With Honda Engines in 2018Honda, McLaren just can't quit you.READ NOW
- RELATEDWatch Elon Musk Take Delivery of his New McLaren F1—in 1999"I can't believe it's actually here. It's pretty wild, man."READ NOW
- RELATEDThis McLaren F1 High Downforce Is The Rarest F1 of AllThe McLaren F1 High Downforce features all kinds of one-off touches that make it extra special.READ NOW
- RELATEDIs the McLaren F1 Really the Greatest Supercar Ever?Poll picks Gordon Murray’s wondercar...in a British-based competition.READ NOW
- RELATEDWatch Pink Floyd's Drummer Wreck His McLaren F1 GTRNick Mason ran out of talent in one of his many McLarens.READ NOW