Next Generation Jeep Wrangler Could Offer 6 Engine Options
Including two diesel choices.
Speculations have been whirling about the next-generation Jeep Wrangler. The JL iteration is said to be a huge leap forward in terms of customization and interchangeability, making it a potential hit for offroaders around the world. It's rumored to sport a diesel engine option for the first time in model history, and according to an anonymous Jalopnik tipper, it'll have even more choices to pick from.
The report from Jalopnik claims that the Wrangler could have up to six engine options, blowing the current generation JK, which only offers one, out of the water. The list of potential powerplants goes as follows:
- Two versions of the 3.6L Pentastar V6
- 3.0L and 2.2L diesel engines
- Two versions of the 2.0L four cylinder.
All of this would make for a plug-and-play Wrangler that's suitable for everyone. We've seen Jeep testing diesel prototypes out in the open, and fans have long been begging for a combustion-ignition model; as it seems, they could even get two.
The current 3.6L Pentastar engine is a vast improvement over the previous 3.8L V6 found in Wranglers of old, so an updated version of it could be even better.
Lastly, the 2.0L four cylinder could help to keep the entry price for the model low in addition to providing increased fuel economy. Though we don't know many specifics, we assume that it could be sourced from somewhere else in the Fiat Chrysler parts bin.
The possible leak also claims a list of body configurations for the upcoming Jeep. Among these are:
- Both two and four door models
- Black Hard Top
- Black Soft Top
- Tan Soft Top
- Body Color Hard Top
- And a Power-Retracting Top
Each of these would further the idea of a have-it-your-way Jeep, so look out for these in the future.
FCA has declined comment on future models, so in the meantime, we'll continue to poke the hornet's nest and see what we can get out of it.
- RELATEDWatch This Jeep Wrangler Climb A Vertical Rock WallShort wheelbase for the win.READ NOW
- RELATED2018 Jeep Wrangler Interior Spy Shots Show Serious RedesignLong gone are the days where you could mop out your Jeep.READ NOW
- RELATEDJeep Wrangler Tries, Fails to Block In Badly Parked Nissan 300ZXWhen parking lot dickery backfires.READ NOW
- RELATED2018 Jeep Wrangler May Offer a Power Retractable HardtopSpy shots indicate switches on the roof, possibly for a Jeep Renegade-like MySky system.READ NOW
- RELATEDWatch This Dirt Bike Land On the Hood Of a Jeep WranglerThe Wrangler cuts in front of the rider just as he get airborne off a massive dune—and a nail-biter ensues.READ NOW