Best Electric Hedge Trimmers (Review & Buying Guide) in 2021
Consider these electric hedge trimmers for an efficient way to maintain your shrubs and landscaping.
The Drive and its partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links. Read more.
BY Zach Faulds / LAST UPDATED ON July 14, 2021
If you own a home, one thing that can increase the curb appeal is adding some shrubs or bushes around the property. Over time, these hedges will become overgrown and can ruin your clean landscaping. An electric hedge trimmer is an efficient, reliable tool that can easily help you trim and maintain the landscaping around your property. The best electric hedge trimmers are available to purchase in a variety of types, sizes, and power options.
Depending on the size of your property and how many shrubs you will be trimming, you may want to consider a different type of hedge trimmer to get the job done. Whether you are looking for great value, versatility, durability, or a user-friendly option, we took a look at the best hedge trimmers currently available on the market. Read on to see which trimmer is the best fit to maintain your property's shrubbery.
Cordless option, featuring long-lasting lithium-ion battery. 22-inch trimmer has great reach and is designed to cut through branches up to ¾ inch thick.
- Extremely easy to operate, featuring a full-length trigger and comfortable, wraparound auxiliary handle
- You can use the same lithium-ion battery interchangeably in all Black+Decker power tools and products
- Some customers have reported issues with battery charger after extensive use
The corded trimmer features a powerful, 2.7-amp electric motor. Has 18-inch dual-action steel blade to reach tall shrubs and cut through thick branches.
- Perfect for cutting through branches up to ¾ inch thick
- Light weight of just over 6 pounds will not provide any added stress and allows you to work for extended periods
- Full four-year warranty is included
- Issue with its reach
- If you have a large property, you may want to consider purchasing a quality extension cord
Cordless variety, featuring rechargeable lithium-ion battery. Can provide up to two hours of run time. The powerful blade can cut through even the thickest branches, up to 3/4 inch thick.
- Great reach, with a 24-inch dual-sided steel blade that can provide up to 3,400 cuts per minute
- Utilizes a powerful 18-volt battery, which is more powerful and has a longer operating time than standard lithium-ion batteries
Why Trust Us
Our reviews are driven by a combination of hands-on testing, expert input, “wisdom of the crowd” assessments from actual buyers, and our own expertise. We always aim to offer genuine, accurate guides to help you find the best picks.
Benefits of Electric Hedge Trimmer
- Eco-friendly. One of the main benefits of electric hedge trimmers is that they are environmentally friendly. This tool does not require any type of fuel, and it can be operated via a power outlet or rechargeable battery.
- User-friendly. Electric hedge trimmers are generally quite easy to operate. They are lightweight and do not require as much maintenance as gas-powered tools.
- Efficient. Efficient: Electric hedge trimmers do a great job of trimming and maintaining your shrubs. Depending on your property size and the number of bushes around your property, make sure that your trimmer has enough power and speed to finish the job.
Types of Electric Hedge Trimmers
Corded hedge trimmers are the most popular and common type of electric hedge trimmer. This type of trimmer requires a power outlet for proper use. Corded hedge trimmers generally have the most power, but the major downside is the length of the cord. If the cord included with your hedge trimmer is not long enough, you may have to use a heavy-duty extension cord to reach some of the shrubbery around your property.
Battery-powered electric hedge trimmers are a more versatile and flexible type of hedge trimmer. This type of hedge trimmer uses a rechargeable battery and charger. Battery-powered hedge trimmers generally do not offer as much power as corded trimmers, and they may run out of power if working on a large property. Make sure to purchase a backup battery and keep it charged so that you can complete your landscaping work without running out of power.
Founded in 1910 and headquartered in Towson, Md., Black+Decker Inc. is one of the biggest American manufacturers of power tools and home improvement products. In addition to high-quality electric hedge trimmers, Black+Decker also produces power tools, lawn equipment, car accessories, home appliances, and more.
Founded in 2007, Greenworks is a leading manufacturer of battery-operated power tools and equipment. The company has quickly become one of the more trustworthy producers and distributors of eco-friendly power tools throughout the United States. In addition to electric hedge trimmers, Greenworks also manufactures string trimmers, leaf blowers, pressure washers, and more.
Founded by Albert J. Dremel in Racine, Wis. in 1932, Dremel has developed into one of the most trustworthy and quality manufacturers of power tools, specializing in the Dremel rotary tool. In addition to high-quality hedge trimmers, Dremel also produces power saws, laser cutting materials, pet accessories, merchandise, and more.
Electric Hedge Trimmer Pricing
- Under $100: Electric hedge trimmers in this price range are available at an excellent value. Make sure that you do not need an extension cord or a separate battery before purchasing this price range.
- $100-$150: This is the most common price range for electric hedge trimmers. Products in this price range are available to purchase as a variety of types that can maintain anything from large properties or just a few shrubs.
- $150 and up: Electric hedge trimmers in this price range are priced at a premium. Products in this price range are typically the highest quality and feature several special features, accessories, spare batteries, and more.
The blade size is one of the most important features of electric hedge trimmers. Most blade lengths can vary anywhere from 16 inches to 24 inches. Inspect your property and measure the height to the top of your shrubbery before making your final purchase. You want to make sure that you have a large enough blade size so that you do not have to reach awkwardly or use a ladder to trim your hedges.
The overall reach of your electric hedge trimmer is another important feature. You want to make sure that your electric hedge trimmer can reach both the sides and the top of your shrubs. In addition to the reach, ensure that your trimmer has a large enough cutting width to cut through the thickness of the branches on the hedges around your property.
The weight of your electric hedge trimmer is another key feature to consider. Most electric hedge trimmers are fairly lightweight, but you want to make sure that it is not too heavy to cause you any issues while operating it. If your model contains a battery, you want to make sure that the battery does not provide too much-added weight to your hedge trimmer once it is installed.
- Power. The power produced by your hedge trimmer is another important factor to consider. You'll want to ensure that your electric hedge trimmer has enough power to cover your property and easily cut through any thicker branches of your shrubbery. Depending on the size of your property and the number of hedges around it, your hedge trimmer may require a higher power rating to operate properly.
- Battery. Whether or not your hedge trimmer is battery operated is another important feature. If your trimmer is battery-powered, lithium-ion batteries are the most common type of battery used. Just make sure that the battery included with your trimmer will hold a charge long enough to complete your daily landscaping work. If not, then you may want to consider purchasing a backup battery so that you do not run out of power while working.
- Warranty. The length and type of warranty are important considerations when contemplating the best electric hedge trimmer to best fit your lawn care needs. Most reputable manufacturers will include some type of warranty with their electric hedge trimmer. Look to purchase a hedge trimmer with a limited warranty that will at least cover any manufacturing defects or issues with your product for its first few uses.
Best Electric Hedge Trimmers Reviews & Recommendations 2021
- Make sure to keep the blades of your hedge trimmer sharpened, or you may run into issues with uneven cutting.
- Another reason for uneven cuts is due to your hedges being too large for your trimmer. Make sure you purchase a large enough trimmer to trim the shrubbery on your property.
- Make sure to perform routine maintenance on your hedge trimmer, including the motor, blades, handle grips, and air filter, to preserve the lifespan of your tool.
- Purchasing a case to store your hedge trimmer can also be a good idea to preserve its lifespan. Make sure to keep your trimmer stored in a UV-resistant dry area to prevent prolonged wear and tear.
- If you have a large property or need to reach shrubbery far from your home, make sure to purchase a cordless option or consider purchasing a heavy-duty extension cord to use with your hedge trimmer.
Q: What is the best electric hedge trimmer?
Our top-rated electric hedge trimmer is the Black+Decker 20V Max Cordless Hedge Trimmer, a 22-inch trimmer with great reach. There are many other great options available, so make sure to read all of our reviews before making your final purchase.
Q: How much does a hedge trimmer cost?
The cost of hedge trimmers can vary from as low as under $100 for a great value purchase, to over $150 for a premium-priced product.
Q: What is the difference between a hedge trimmer and a hedge cutter?
Hedge cutters are designed to handle more heavy-duty work, while hedge trimmers are designed to handle more intricate jobs and landscaping maintenance.
Q: Can I sharpen my electric hedge trimmer?
Yes, you can sharpen the blades of your electric hedge trimmer in most cases. Consult with your owner’s manual before attempting to sharpen them yourself. You may want to consider having a professional sharpen your blades.
For a high-quality electric hedge trimmer, consider the Black+Decker 20V Max Cordless Hedge Trimmer, featuring a full-length trigger and comfortable, wraparound auxiliary handle, or the Greenworks Corded Hedge Trimmer, featuring a powerful, 2.7-amp electric motor. Drop us a comment and let us know what your favorite electric hedge trimmer is and what you love about it.