LAST UPDATED: March 26, 2021
Best Electric Hedge Trimmers (Review & Buying Guide) in 2021
Consider these electric hedge trimmers for an efficient way to maintain your shrubs and landscaping.
The Drive and its partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links. Read more.
PUBLISHED ON March 26, 2021
If you own a home, one thing that can increase the curb appeal is adding some shrubs or bushes around the property. Over time, these hedges will become overgrown and can ruin your clean landscaping. An electric hedge trimmer is an efficient, reliable tool that can easily help you trim and maintain the landscaping around your property. The best electric hedge trimmers are available to purchase in a variety of types, sizes, and power options.
Depending on the size of your property and how many shrubs you will be trimming, you may want to consider a different type of hedge trimmer to get the job done. Whether you are looking for great value, versatility, durability, or a user-friendly option, we took a look at the best hedge trimmers currently available on the market. Read on to see which trimmer is the best fit to maintain your property's shrubbery.
Cordless option, featuring long-lasting lithium-ion battery. 22-inch trimmer has great reach and is designed to cut through branches up to ¾ inch thick.
- Extremely easy to operate, featuring a full-length trigger and comfortable, wraparound auxiliary handle
- You can use the same lithium-ion battery interchangeably in all Black+Decker power tools and products
- Some customers have reported issues with battery charger after extensive use
The corded trimmer features a powerful, 2.7-amp electric motor. Has 18-inch dual-action steel blade to reach tall shrubs and cut through thick branches.
- Perfect for cutting through branches up to ¾ inch thick
- Light weight of just over 6 pounds will not provide any added stress and allows you to work for extended periods
- Full four-year warranty is included
- Issue with its reach
- If you have a large property, you may want to consider purchasing a quality extension cord
Cordless variety, featuring rechargeable lithium-ion battery. Can provide up to two hours of run time. The powerful blade can cut through even the thickest branches, up to 3/4 inch thick.
- Great reach, with a 24-inch dual-sided steel blade that can provide up to 3,400 cuts per minute
- Utilizes a powerful 18-volt battery, which is more powerful and has a longer operating time than standard lithium-ion batteries
Why Trust Us
All of our reviews are based on market research, expert input, or practical experience with most products we include. This way, we offer genuine, accurate guides to help you find the best picks.
Benefits of Electric Hedge Trimmer
- Eco-friendly. One of the main benefits of electric hedge trimmers is that they are environmentally friendly. This tool does not require any type of fuel, and it can be operated via a power outlet or rechargeable battery.
- User-friendly. Electric hedge trimmers are generally quite easy to operate. They are lightweight and do not require as much maintenance as gas-powered tools.
- Efficient. Efficient: Electric hedge trimmers do a great job of trimming and maintaining your shrubs. Depending on your property size and the number of bushes around your property, make sure that your trimmer has enough power and speed to finish the job.
Types of Electric Hedge Trimmers
Corded hedge trimmers are the most popular and common type of electric hedge trimmer. This type of trimmer requires a power outlet for proper use. Corded hedge trimmers generally have the most power, but the major downside is the length of the cord. If the cord included with your hedge trimmer is not long enough, you may have to use a heavy-duty extension cord to reach some of the shrubbery around your property.
Battery-powered electric hedge trimmers are a more versatile and flexible type of hedge trimmer. This type of hedge trimmer uses a rechargeable battery and charger. Battery-powered hedge trimmers generally do not offer as much power as corded trimmers, and they may run out of power if working on a large property. Make sure to purchase a backup battery and keep it charged so that you can complete your landscaping work without running out of power.
Founded in 1910 and headquartered in Towson, Md., Black+Decker Inc. is one of the biggest American manufacturers of power tools and home improvement products. In addition to high-quality electric hedge trimmers, Black+Decker also produces power tools, lawn equipment, car accessories, home appliances, and more.
Founded in 2007, Greenworks is a leading manufacturer of battery-operated power tools and equipment. The company has quickly become one of the more trustworthy producers and distributors of eco-friendly power tools throughout the United States. In addition to electric hedge trimmers, Greenworks also manufactures string trimmers, leaf blowers, pressure washers, and more.
Founded by Albert J. Dremel in Racine, Wis. in 1932, Dremel has developed into one of the most trustworthy and quality manufacturers of power tools, specializing in the Dremel rotary tool. In addition to high-quality hedge trimmers, Dremel also produces power saws, laser cutting materials, pet accessories, merchandise, and more.
Electric Hedge Trimmer Pricing
- Under $100: Electric hedge trimmers in this price range are available at an excellent value. Make sure that you do not need an extension cord or a separate battery before purchasing this price range.
- $100-$150: This is the most common price range for electric hedge trimmers. Products in this price range are available to purchase as a variety of types that can maintain anything from large properties or just a few shrubs.
- $150 and up: Electric hedge trimmers in this price range are priced at a premium. Products in this price range are typically the highest quality and feature several special features, accessories, spare batteries, and more.
The blade size is one of the most important features of electric hedge trimmers. Most blade lengths can vary anywhere from 16 inches to 24 inches. Inspect your property and measure the height to the top of your shrubbery before making your final purchase. You want to make sure that you have a large enough blade size so that you do not have to reach awkwardly or use a ladder to trim your hedges.
The overall reach of your electric hedge trimmer is another important feature. You want to make sure that your electric hedge trimmer can reach both the sides and the top of your shrubs. In addition to the reach, ensure that your trimmer has a large enough cutting width to cut through the thickness of the branches on the hedges around your property.
The weight of your electric hedge trimmer is another key feature to consider. Most electric hedge trimmers are fairly lightweight, but you want to make sure that it is not too heavy to cause you any issues while operating it. If your model contains a battery, you want to make sure that the battery does not provide too much-added weight to your hedge trimmer once it is installed.
- Power. The power produced by your hedge trimmer is another important factor to consider. You'll want to ensure that your electric hedge trimmer has enough power to cover your property and easily cut through any thicker branches of your shrubbery. Depending on the size of your property and the number of hedges around it, your hedge trimmer may require a higher power rating to operate properly.
- Battery. Whether or not your hedge trimmer is battery operated is another important feature. If your trimmer is battery-powered, lithium-ion batteries are the most common type of battery used. Just make sure that the battery included with your trimmer will hold a charge long enough to complete your daily landscaping work. If not, then you may want to consider purchasing a backup battery so that you do not run out of power while working.
- Warranty. The length and type of warranty are important considerations when contemplating the best electric hedge trimmer to best fit your lawn care needs. Most reputable manufacturers will include some type of warranty with their electric hedge trimmer. Look to purchase a hedge trimmer with a limited warranty that will at least cover any manufacturing defects or issues with your product for its first few uses.
Best Electric Hedge Trimmers Reviews & Recommendations 2021
If you're looking for a product to trim your shrubbery with ease, the Black+Decker 20V Max Cordless Hedge Trimmer may be the best hedge trimmer on the market. This electric trimmer is a cordless option, featuring a long-lasting lithium-ion battery. This 22-inch trimmer has great reach, and it is designed to cut through branches up to 3/4 inch thick. It is extremely easy to operate, featuring a full-length trigger and a comfortable, wraparound auxiliary handle with multiple grip options. As a bonus, if you own any additional Black+Decker power tools or equipment, you can use the same lithium-ion battery interchangeably in all of the products. The steel dual-action blade of this hedge trimmer reduces vibration while working, even when trimming larger hedges, bushes, or shrubs around your property.
One downside of the Black+Decker 20V Max Cordless Hedge Trimmer is with the charger. Some customers have reported issues with their battery charger after extensive use. If you have any issues with the charger, reach out to the company regarding a potential refund or replacement.
Get the best bang for your buck with the Greenworks Corded Hedge Trimmer. This corded trimmer features a powerful, 2.7-amp electric motor. It has an 18-inch dual-action steel blade to reach tall shrubs and cut through thick branches. This hedge trimmer is perfect for cutting through branches up to 3/4 inch thick. With a lightweight of just over 6 pounds, this product will not provide any added stress to allow you to work for extended periods at a time. A full four-year warranty is included by Greenworks to allow you peace of mind while working, and a full refund or replacement should there be any manufacturing defects. This trimmer has an extremely quiet operating system, so you don't have to worry about harming your ears or disturbing your neighbors while working.
One issue with the Greenworks Corded Hedge Trimmer is with its reach. If you have a large property, you may want to consider purchasing a quality extension cord to reach shrubs that are located far from your home.
Although it is priced at a premium, you can't go wrong with the Milwaukee Electric Tools Hedge Trimmer. This hedge trimmer is of the cordless variety, featuring a rechargeable lithium-ion battery. On a full charge, this electric trimmer can provide up to two hours of run time. The powerful blade can cut through even the thickest branches, up to 3/4 inch thick. This product has great reach, with a 24-inch dual-sided steel blade that can provide up to 3,400 cuts per minute. This hedge trimmer utilizes a powerful 18-volt battery, which is more powerful and has a longer operating time than standard lithium-ion batteries. It includes a three-year limited warranty, which covers any potential manufacturing defects or issues with your trimmer.
One downside of the Milwaukee Electric Tools Hedge Trimmer is its price point. If you are shopping on a budget, this product may be out of your price range. It is well worth the money if you are looking for a powerful product that will allow you to work for extended periods on a single battery charge.
The DeWalt 20V Max Cordless Hedge Trimmer is a heavy-duty product that is built to withstand the test of time. This product is extremely powerful, featuring a 22-inch reach and a minimum cutting speed of 2,800 strokes per minute. It is designed to cut branches up to 3/4 inch thick. It is fully operational with a rechargeable lithium-ion battery. Best of all, the battery can be used to operate several compatible outdoor equipment and products made by DeWalt. When fully charged, this hedge trimmer can provide enough power to work for extended periods around your property. This hedge trimmer can cut through even the toughest landscaping, bushes, hedges, or shrubs. It is a user-friendly model, featuring little vibration and less noise than other trimmers of equal power.
One issue with the DeWalt 20V Max Cordless Hedge Trimmer is that it is sold as a bare tool only. This product does not come with a lithium battery and charger, so you will need to purchase them separately. If you already own a compatible DeWalt product, then you can likely use that battery and charger to operate this hedge trimmer.
The Worx 20V Cordless Hedge Trimmer is one of the most lightweight, user-friendly options on the market. With a weight of just 5.5 pounds, this product is extremely easy to operate and comfortable to use. The 22-inch long cutting blade allows you to reach the sides and the top of almost any piece of shrubbery. Despite its lightweight, this trimmer is quite powerful, capable of a cutting speed of up to 2,600 revolutions per minute. The dual-action steel blade can slice through branches up to 3/4 inch thick with reduced vibration. A 2.0Ah lithium-ion battery and charger are included with each hedge trimmer, and it can be used to power almost any compatible Worx power tool.
One downside of the Worx 20V Cordless Hedge Trimmer is its battery. Some customers have had issues with the run time of their included battery. If your product has any problems, reach out to the company regarding a potential replacement battery.
The Sun Joe Electric Telescoping Hedge Trimmer is another extremely reliable product with enough power to trim bushes, hedges, and shrubbery on properties of all sizes. The 21-inch hardened steel blade is extremely durable and has enough power to cut through thick branches. Despite its lightweight of 7.5 pounds, this model includes a powerful 4-amp motor. There is even a multi-angle pivoting head for precise trimming of the most difficult angles. It features a telescoping shaft to trim bushes of varying heights. The model can easily reach hedge heights of up to 13 feet. This electric hedge trimmer includes a retractable cord that can be expanded or collapsed at your convenience. The steel blade is completely rustproof and weather-resistant to hold up in all types of hazardous or wet weather conditions.
One issue with the Sun Joe Electric Telescoping Hedge Trimmer is with the cord length. While the retractable cord is convenient, it is not able to reach areas far away from your outlet. If you have a larger property, you will want to purchase a heavy-duty extension cord for use with this trimmer.
The Makita Lithium-Ion Cordless Hedge Trimmer is an extremely powerful product, featuring a cutting speed of 1,350 cuts per minute. The 22-inch steel blade can cut both the sides and the top of most shrubbery around your home. Despite its powerful design, this electric hedge trimmer weighs just 7.4 pounds to reduce stress and fatigue while working. It operates at a low decibel level compared to many other models, and the heavy-duty charger can charge lithium-ion batteries from empty to full power in under an hour. This hedge trimmer can operate for up to two hours on a full battery on the lowest power setting. The cordless design allows you to reach any area of your property with ease.
One downside of the Makita Lithium-Ion Cordless Hedge Trimmer is its reliability. Some customers have received defective batteries or chargers, so make sure that everything is working properly before using the trimmer for the first time. If there are any issues, reach out to the company regarding a refund or replacement product.
The EGO Power+ Lithium-Ion Cordless Hedge Trimmer is another premium-priced product, but it is one of the most powerful electric hedge trimmers on the market. This model includes 24-inch hardened steel reciprocating blades for user-friendly, precise cuts on your bushes, hedges, or shrubbery. It is designed to cut through branches up to 3/4 inch thick. This hedge trimmer operates on a powerful, rechargeable lithium-ion battery. If you own any additional EGO Power+ tools, the battery is compatible with most other models. The hedge trimmer is rustproof and completely weather-resistant, so you can use it in any hazardous or wet weather conditions without having to worry about potential damage. The tool itself comes with a limited five-year warranty, while a three-year limited warranty is included with the battery and charger.
One issue with the EGO Power+ Lithium-Ion Cordless Hedge Trimmer is its durability. Some customers have reported charging issues after just a few months. If your product is still covered under warranty, simply reach out to the company regarding a refund or replacement charger.
- Make sure to keep the blades of your hedge trimmer sharpened, or you may run into issues with uneven cutting.
- Another reason for uneven cuts is due to your hedges being too large for your trimmer. Make sure you purchase a large enough trimmer to trim the shrubbery on your property.
- Make sure to perform routine maintenance on your hedge trimmer, including the motor, blades, handle grips, and air filter, to preserve the lifespan of your tool.
- Purchasing a case to store your hedge trimmer can also be a good idea to preserve its lifespan. Make sure to keep your trimmer stored in a UV-resistant dry area to prevent prolonged wear and tear.
- If you have a large property or need to reach shrubbery far from your home, make sure to purchase a cordless option or consider purchasing a heavy-duty extension cord to use with your hedge trimmer.
Q: What is the best electric hedge trimmer?
Our top-rated electric hedge trimmer is the Black+Decker 20V Max Cordless Hedge Trimmer, a 22-inch trimmer with great reach. There are many other great options available, so make sure to read all of our reviews before making your final purchase.
Q: How much does a hedge trimmer cost?
The cost of hedge trimmers can vary from as low as under $100 for a great value purchase, to over $150 for a premium-priced product.
Q: What is the difference between a hedge trimmer and a hedge cutter?
Hedge cutters are designed to handle more heavy-duty work, while hedge trimmers are designed to handle more intricate jobs and landscaping maintenance.
Q: Can I sharpen my electric hedge trimmer?
Yes, you can sharpen the blades of your electric hedge trimmer in most cases. Consult with your owner’s manual before attempting to sharpen them yourself. You may want to consider having a professional sharpen your blades.
For a high-quality electric hedge trimmer, consider the Black+Decker 20V Max Cordless Hedge Trimmer, featuring a full-length trigger and comfortable, wraparound auxiliary handle, or the Greenworks Corded Hedge Trimmer, featuring a powerful, 2.7-amp electric motor. Drop us a comment and let us know what your favorite electric hedge trimmer is and what you love about it.