Best Mosquito Zappers: Get Rid of Annoying Bugs
These tough mosquito zappers will make sure you’re not held hostage inside on the nicest nights of the year.
The Drive and its partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links. Read more.
BY Lisa Conant / LAST UPDATED ON September 30, 2021
Some people wait all year to be able to enjoy fun family cookouts in their backyards or relaxing evenings at the cottage, only to be held hostage inside by swarms of annoying and possibly dangerous mosquitoes. Let’s face it, covering yourself in toxic bug sprays or constantly slapping at persistent mosquitoes can really put a damper on your enjoyment.
That’s when a reliable mosquito zapper can be a huge game-changer. A good one allows you to really relax and enjoy that much-deserved family time and help you extend your time outdoors. If you’re in the market for a new mosquito zapper, we’ve got your back with our list of top favorite zappers on the market today.
Trust this hanging zapper to protect you from mosquitos, flies, gnats, and other flying pests. It uses non-toxic UV light to attract insects in a 1-acre coverage area.
- Easy clean tray
- Plug-in power supply
- Very small holes surrounding the light
- Not programmable
This inconspicuous, lightweight, tabletop mosquito zapper will go anywhere you want and protect you against a variety of flying pests.
- Affordable and compact
- Uses a three-part system to attract and kill bugs
- Octenol lures need to be replaced monthly
- Doesn’t cover as much area as larger zappers can
This efficient hanging zapper has a high voltage transformer for instant insect killing. It has a 15-watt high-intensity UV light.
- Weatherproof construction
- Easy bulb replacement
- Stops working when full
- Short cord
Why Trust Us
Our reviews are driven by a combination of hands-on testing, expert input, “wisdom of the crowd” assessments from actual buyers, and our own expertise. We always aim to offer genuine, accurate guides to help you find the best picks.
Benefits of Mosquito Zappers
- Fewer bugs. The obvious benefit of a bug zapper is that it will kill the insects and bugs flying around your property. The zapper even does all the work for you so you don’t waste valuable time tracking and swatting mosquitoes. It’s a great passive method that lets you sit back, relax, and enjoy your time outside. It’s also a more permanent solution than merely repelling them, which eventually wears off and allows the bugs to come back and attack you numerous times.
- Reduced use of chemicals. Another huge benefit of a mosquito zapper is that it drastically reduces, or even completely removes, your reliance on toxic chemicals that are bad for your health and the health of your friends, family, and pets. Mosquito zappers are also much better for the environment than harsh chemical killers or repellents, making them a no-brainer option for people who truly love the outdoors.
- Reusable. Some solutions are one-time use or require repeated applications. A zapper is a single unit that you can continually run or use repeatedly. Many only require an occasional light bulb or battery change to keep using the unit.
- Versatile. Most mosquito zappers on the market today aren’t just for killing mosquitoes, but will attract and eliminate a number of other flying pests, including flies, wasps, moths, and more. This helps keep the air around your favorite outdoor space completely clear and enjoyable.
- Portable. Certain models of mosquito zappers are surprisingly compact, lightweight, and portable. You can take them inside, outside, to the RV, campsite, workshop, office, and much more. This allows you to save money by purchasing fewer units to handle multiple spaces.
Types of Mosquito Zappers
If you have a place to hang your mosquito light, then consider a lantern-style light. Some of these zappers are styled to look like actual lanterns and can be decorative. Others are more commercial-looking and have a flat rectangular style. If you choose this zapper style, make sure the cord is long enough to reach a power outlet. Also be sure to check to see if your lantern is rated for indoor or outdoor use, or both, depending on your needs.
Instead of hanging your mosquito zapper, you could choose to have a tabletop one. These are nice if you don’t have a place to hang your zapper that’s also near a power outlet. You could put one on your patio table for nearby protection. These zappers come in a range of sizes, so you can customize the protection level you need. Since they’re so portable, they can easily go between your outdoor dining table to a side table for lounging or a prep table near your barbecue.
Sometimes you want a little extra personal protection. This could be in your backyard or when you go other places. A handheld mosquito zapper is the perfect portable solution. These are small units that are often shaped like a paddle. They will run on batteries or have a USB charging system. You’ll find that this type of zapper has the smallest radius and isn’t as powerful as the other types.
Plug-in mosquito zappers, as the name would imply, plug directly into your home, camper, cottage, garage, or RV’s AC outlets. They’re the perfect solution if you’re looking to keep a small area bug-free and don’t want an obnoxiously large lantern that will be overpowered or detract from your home’s décor.
Founded in Baltimore in 1910, BLACK+DECKER has become a household name. It’s known for manufacturing high-quality tools and household appliances. Its product may not be cutting edge, but they’re durable and reliable. The BLACK+DECKER Outdoor Bug Zapper will give you the insect clearing power you need in your backyard.
Founded in 1920, Flowtron has made a name for itself by producing high-quality outdoor heaters and mosquito traps. Its line of products is distributed throughout the world to several countries. The Flowtron Residential Bug Fighter stands out with its attractive green design.
When it comes to eliminating household pests, few companies have the experience or reputation of Black Flag. Founded in 1833, Black Flag products like the Black Flag Foaming Wasp and Hornet Killer and the Black Flag Concentrated Fogger2 have killed more household pests than any other brand in the industry.
Mosquito Zapper Pricing
- Under $35: If you need a small and simple-to-operate mosquito zapper, you’ll find one in this price range. These are typically tabletop designs that run on batteries or USB charging.
- $35 to $45: The majority of mosquito zappers fall in this price range. They are of various sizes and have one or two bulbs with a voltage grid and collection tray.
- $45 and up: The mosquito zappers in this price range come with extra features. They could have multiple setup options, including cleaning brushes and scent attractants.
The construction of your zapper needs to be durable enough to withstand the changing seasons. If it's made of metal, it should be corrosion and rust-resistant. If it’s made of plastic, it should be UV resistant and capable of withstanding extreme hot and cold temperatures.
The zapping mechanisms should also be durable. The light bulbs shouldn’t die out quickly. The entire housing should also be waterproof. Otherwise, you risk it leaking and shorting.
High-quality mosquito zappers will list a coverage area. This is the range around the zapper that it can effectively draw insects in from. This can range from a few feet to several acres. A bigger range doesn’t always mean better. You don’t want to attract insects onto your property unnecessarily. However, the range should be large enough to provide you with protection over the entire area of your property that you plan to use.
How will your mosquito zapper operate? Some run on battery power, which is convenient but also requires you to buy batteries continually. Others run on solar power, but these are reliable and can lack power when the sunlight doesn’t charge it enough. The most reliable option is electrically powered. It will have a cord that you plug into an outlet.
- Price. You don’t have to spend a fortune on your mosquito zapper, but you shouldn’t try to buy the cheapest one you can find. Pay for quality so that you buy an effective zapper and will last. Often, the price reflects the quality of the zapping mechanism and how durable the unit will be when left outside for long periods.
- Design. Some zappers are effective but ugly. Others are beautifully designed but not very effective. If you plan to have yours in a place where it’s easily seen, then you’ll want one that’s both effective and attractive to look at. Consider the materials it’s made out of, the size, shape, and design of the outer shell.
- Durability. Your mosquito zapper will get left outside day and night for months on end. It needs to withstand the sun’s harsh UV rays in the summer, winter winds, cold temperature, and possibly even ice and snow. It should be waterproof, UV resistant, and shockproof. The more durable your zapper is, the more likely it will last and continue to give you reliable service.
Best Mosquito Zappers Reviews & Recommendations 2021
- Regularly check your mosquito zapper and clean it when needed. This will remove the dead bugs and make room for more bugs. It will also keep your zapper looking nice and prevent dead bugs from accidentally spilling out. It also prevents your bug zapper from collecting a bunch of gross-looking bug guts and debris, which can be kind of a turn-off for guests and family who might be trying to enjoy a meal near it.
- Consider using more than one bug zapper. While they may have large coverage areas, having two zappers on either side of your patio or deck prevents insects from flying across your path on their way to the zapper.
- Consider the placement of your bug zapper. It should be out of reach of pets and small children that could get accidentally injured or knock the zapper over.
Q: Are mosquito zappers effective?
Yes, a high-quality mosquito zapper is effective at attracting and killing mosquitoes. For the most success, place your zapper outside where you have the greatest problem with mosquitoes.
Q: What is the best mosquito zapper?
The best mosquito zapper is one that works with your property, whether it hangs, sits on a table, or is handheld. It also has a large enough coverage area to protect your entire area. It should have a durable build and reliable function. Some of the best mosquito zappers on the market are also backed by a warranty that protects your investment from any unforeseen manufacturer’s defects.
Q: Do electric mosquito zappers work?
Yes, the light emitted from these zappers is effective at attracting insects and bugs. Then they emit a strong shock that kills the bugs upon contact. Electric models are more dependable because they are powered by a steady supply of electricity.
Q: Does UV light attract mosquitoes?
Black light attracts night-flying insects and those that see in shorter wavelengths. So while mosquitoes may get attracted, it isn’t the best solution. A zapper that emits the pheromone octanol will be more effective. Better yet, consider a mosquito zapper that combines both, like the Black Flag 2000 Volt Electronic Insect Killer, for maximum effectiveness.
For the ideal combination of power, appearance, durability, and price, our top pick is the Black+Decker Bug Zapper. This modern-looking, non-toxic mosquito zapper is versatile and can cover a large area, making for a highly effective and efficient bug killer.
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option that doesn’t sacrifice functionality and reliability, consider the Black Flag 2000 Volt Electronic Insect Killer. You won’t be disappointed.