Best Cordless Weed Eaters (Review & Buying Guide) in 2022
Consider these cordless weed eaters for a convenient, efficient way to trim your yard.
The Drive and its partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links. Read more.
If you own a home with a large yard or lawn, one problem that can really ruin your curb appeal is overgrown grass and weeds. A high-quality, efficient weed eater is a reliable way to trim overgrown grass along a sidewalk, driveway, side of your home, or fence line. Cordless weed eaters are convenient because they allow you to clean up the most difficult areas to reach on your property without the need for an extension cord or a plug nearby. In most cases, cordless weed eaters operate using a rechargeable battery and are easier to use than gas-powered options. Whether you are looking for great value, durability, reliability, or a user-friendly option, we look at the best cordless weed eaters available. Read on to find the best option for your needs.
Worx WG163 Cordless String Trimmer
This cordless weed eater converts easily from a trimmer to an edger. The command feed feature allows you to get more with the push of a button.
- Fully adjustable ergonomic handle with seven different positions
- Adjustable spacer guard will protect you from accidentally trimming flowers, plants, outdoor furniture, or other personal items
- Lightweight at just 6 pounds
- Charger will take over three hours to fully charge the battery, so make sure that you keep both included batteries charged
Earthwise Cordless String Trimmer
It has three adjustable cut head positions. This cordless weed eater is extremely useful for cutting irregular edges or getting rid of weeds in between plants.
- 20 volt 2.0Ah battery and charger included
- Telescopic shaft allows you to adjust length
- Features comfortable, non-slip grip handle
- Has trigger and safety switch
- Some customers have reported issues with battery holding a charge
Makita Lithium-Ion Brushless Cordless
This cordless weed eater includes four batteries, so you won't ever have to worry about running out of power while operating for long periods of time. It is extremely easy to use and operate.
- Three speed options: low speed at 500 revolutions per minute (RPM), medium speed at 5,300 RPM, and high speed at 6,500 RPM
- Very quiet while operating
- Bump and feed trimmer head contains tangle-free line that is pre-loaded
- Some customers have reported that their products have shipped damaged or with missing parts
Benefits of Cordless Weed Eaters
- Eco-friendly. One of the main benefits of cordless weed eaters is that they are environmentally friendly. This lawn care tool does not require any fuel or a power outlet, as it typically runs on a rechargeable battery.
- Extended reach. Since cordless weed eaters do not require an electrical outlet, they allow you to reach the most difficult areas of your property without having to use an extension cord.
- User-friendly. Cordless weed eaters are usually extremely easy to operate compared to gas-powered options. They require less maintenance and are more lightweight than gas-powered weed eaters.
Types of Cordless Weed Eaters
Why Trust Us
Our reviews are driven by a combination of hands-on testing, expert input, “wisdom of the crowd” assessments from actual buyers, and our own expertise. We always aim to offer genuine, accurate guides to help you find the best picks.Learn more
Curved shaft weed eaters are the best type of weed eater for open spaces or larger yards. This type of cordless weed eater is not as efficient for use in tight spaces like under fences, bushes, or hedges due to the curved design. Curved shaft weed eaters are generally the easiest to operate of all types of cordless weed eaters.
Straight shaft weed eaters are more versatile than curved shaft weed eaters. This type of cordless weed eater can be used in open spaces, but the design is specifically intended for use in tight spaces or hard-to-reach areas of your property. The straight shaft can reach under fences, bushes, or hedges.
Telescopic shaft weed eaters are the most user-friendly type of cordless weed eater. The shaft is fully adjustable and can be customized to fit your height. This allows you to be completely comfortable while operating your weed eater, and you don't have to worry about any unintended stress or fatigue while working on your lawn.
This company has built a reputation for manufacturing high-quality power tools, as well as lawn and garden products. In addition to cordless weed eaters, Worx produces pressure washers, rotary tools, rechargeable batteries, and more.
Founded in 1915 and headquartered in Anjō, Japan, Makita is one of the most reputable manufacturers of power tools in the world. The company has grown into a huge power tool manufacturing chain with factories in Brazil, China, Japan, Mexico, Romania, the United Kingdom, Germany, Dubai, Thailand, and the United States. In addition to cordless weed eaters, Makita produces lawn mowers, power saws, power vacuums, and more.
Founded in 1910 and headquartered in Towson, Md., Black+Decker Inc. is one of the biggest American manufacturers of power tools and home improvement products. In addition to high-quality cordless weed eaters, Black+Decker also produces power tools, lawn equipment, car accessories, home appliances, and more.
Cordless Weed Eater Pricing
- Under $100: Cordless weed eaters in this price range are available at an excellent value. They may not have a battery included, so make sure that there is both a rechargeable battery and charger before making your final purchase.
- $100-$200: This is the most common price range for cordless weed eaters. Products in this price range are available to purchase in various types, and they are typically able to cover anything from larger properties to smaller lawns.
- $200 and up: Cordless weed eaters in this price range are priced at a premium. These cordless weed eaters are typically the highest quality products, and they will often come with several special features, extra batteries, accessories, and more.
The battery run time is one of the critical features of cordless weed eaters. You'll want to make sure to purchase a second battery as a backup option if your battery does not have a long enough run time to work for extended periods on your lawn. Another essential factor that coincides with battery run time is the charge time of your battery and charger. In most cases, you will not be able to operate your weed eater while your battery is charging.
The weight of your cordless weed eater is another factor to consider. Most cordless weed eaters are relatively lightweight, and that can be important so that you do not become too stressed or tired while working on your lawn. You will also want to make sure that the battery does not add weight to your weed eater once it is charged and installed.
The cordless weed eater's design is a crucial factor depending on the size of your property and the landscape that surrounds it. Straight shaft weed eaters are best for trimming hard-to-reach areas like fence lines or under hedges. Curved shaft weed eaters are best for trimming open spaces or large properties.
- Battery. The type of battery included with your cordless weed eater can be an important factor that influences the overall operation of your product. Lithium-ion batteries are the most common because they are the most lightweight and feature a long run time on just a single charge. Nickel Cadmium batteries are less common, but they are much cheaper than lithium-ion batteries. The advantage of this type of battery is that it is affected less by extreme temperatures.
- Power. The power produced by your cordless weed eater is another essential factor to consider. Make sure to find a product that is the best fit for your specific property and has a sufficient amount of power to trim your lawn properly. Depending on the size of your yard, you may need a different type of weed eater with a larger power output.
- Warranty. The length and type of warranty are important considerations when contemplating the best cordless weed eater to fit your lawn care needs best. Most reputable manufacturers will include some kind of warranty with their cordless weed eater. Look to purchase a weed eater with a limited warranty that will cover any manufacturing defects or issues with your product for its first few uses.
Best Cordless Weed Eaters Reviews & Recommendations 2021
This versatile product can convert easily from a trimmer to an edger, so you don't have to purchase two separate tools. The command feed feature allows you to get more with the simple push of a button. The ergonomic handle is also fully adjustable with seven different positions to maximize handling and comfort. An adjustable spacer guard will protect you from accidentally trimming any flowers, plants, outdoor furniture, or other personal items. With a lightweight of just six pounds, this cordless weed eater is extremely easy to use, and you don't have to worry about any fatigue or stress while working. Two powerful 20-volt Power Share MaxLithium batteries are included with this product. One downside is with the included charger. The charger will take over three hours to charge the battery fully, so make sure that you keep both batteries charged and with you at all times
This cordless weed eater has three adjustable cut head positions. It is extremely useful for cutting irregular edges or getting rid of weeds in between plants in your garden. This cordless weed eater is easy to assemble, and it does not require any special tools. There is a 20 volt 2.0Ah battery and a charger included, but you may have to fully charge the battery before using this trimmer for the first time. A telescopic shaft allows you to adjust the length based on your preference and comfort level. A comfortable, non-slip grip handle is included, along with a trigger and safety switches. A two-year warranty is included with the tool, and a one-year warranty is included with the battery. Unfortunately, some customers have reported issues with the battery holding a charge. If you have any problems with your battery, reach out to the company about a potential replacement.
This trimmer kit includes four batteries, so you won't ever have to worry about running out of power while operating your weed eater for long periods. This cordless weed eater is extremely easy to use and operate, featuring three-speed options: low speed at 500 revolutions per minute (RPM), medium speed at 5,300 RPM, and high speed at 6,500 RPM. Despite its high power, this product is very quiet while operating. The bump and feed trimmer head contain a tangle-free line that is completely pre-loaded for added convenience. The efficient, brushless motor is designed to optimize battery life for up to a 50 percent longer run time per battery. However, this cordless weed eater has been known to ship damaged or with missing parts. Be sure to inspect your product upon its arrival and reach out to the manufacturer if it is damaged or has missing pieces.
The Black+Decker String Trimmer is perhaps the most adjustable product on the market, featuring fully adjustable speed settings and a fully adjustable length. This cordless weed eater can easily be converted from a trimmer to a wheeled edger in a matter of minutes. The easy feed feature allows you to advance your line with the push of a button. It features two-speed control, which will enable you to choose between added power or an extended run time. A micro texture soft grip handle provides comfort and control while operating the weed eater. Both the handle and height of the shaft are fully adjustable to fit your preferences and size. Two fully rechargeable lithium-ion batteries are included with the purchase of this cordless weed eater. While faster chargers are available for purchase, the included charger can take up to three hours to fully charge the battery.
This cordless weed eater features a brushless motor to maximize motor efficiency and durability. There is a variable trigger with speed control and a powerful speed of up to 6,000 revolutions per minute. A 20-volt 5.0Ah lithium-ion battery is included with each purchase, along with a charger. This lightweight model weighs just over eight pounds, so you don't have to worry about stress or fatigue while working. The cordless weed eater includes an effortless start-up and emergency stop with just one pull of the trigger. The straight shaft design allows you to trim large areas, as well as hard-to-reach places around your property like fence lines or under bushes. Keep in mind that there is only one battery included with this cordless weed eater. You should consider purchasing a second battery for backup, or if you have other DeWalt tools, most use the same 20-volt 5.0Ah lithium-ion battery.
This product includes two 20-volt lithium-ion batteries to double the run time and allow you to work on your lawn for extended periods. The command feed technology will enable you to access a new trimmer string with the simple push of a button. Variable speed control can be turned up for use in wet or dense grass or turned down to extend battery usage. A separate button transforms this trimmer into an in-line wheeled edger. This saves you from purchasing two different tools, and it allows you to trim neatly along driveways, sidewalks, or fence lines. An adjustable D-grip front handle and pivoting head maximizes comfort and performance while operating this weed eater. Unfortunately, at its maximum speed, this trimmer may only last up to 30 or 45 minutes. It is recommended only to use the highest speed setting when needed to preserve battery life.
This cordless weed eater features up to 60 minutes of battery life per use, which is enough to trim a yard up to one acre in size. It utilizes an 80-volt lithium-ion battery for one of the most powerful products available. This model is relatively lightweight and easy to use, with a variable speed trigger. In addition to the powerful battery, a high-quality charger is included. The quick charger allows you to charge one battery with ease while a second battery is in use. The front mount motor consists of an impressive 16-inch cutting path, which means this product is built for heavy-duty jobs or large areas. Some users have reported that the head of this weed eater begins to wear out after a few heavy uses. If there are any immediate issues with your product, reach out to the company regarding a potential refund or replacement.
This cordless weed eater is extremely easy to operate, with a rapid reloading head and variable speed control: simply line up the arrows on the head, insert the line, and twist to lock it into place. The 15-inch cutting swath can easily be controlled with the touch of a button. The high-efficiency brushless motor delivers a long run time, with low noise and extended durability. It has universal battery compatibility, and it does include one rechargeable lithium-ion battery. The included charger can charge your battery from empty to full power in as little as 100 minutes. This model is entirely weather-resistant, designed for use in all types of weather conditions. Keep in mind that this cordless weed eater is difficult to assemble: make sure to read the instruction manual or watch any relevant videos before beginning the assembly process.
- Some cordless weed eaters are sold as "bare tool only," which means they do not come with a battery and charger. You will need to purchase the rechargeable battery and charger separately.
- Most cordless weed eaters are not able to charge the battery while in use. If you have a larger yard or will be working for extended periods, make sure to purchase a second battery to use as a backup option.
- Consider the type of battery before making your purchase. The highest quality batteries will equate to longer durability and longer run time for your weed eater.
- If you are using your cordless weed eater on a large area or for extended periods, make sure that it is lightweight enough not to cause you any stress, fatigue, or injury. Even though it is lightweight, make sure that it has enough power to trim your lawn.
- If you are deciding between a couple of different models, always make sure to check the length and type of warranty included with your weed eater. The most reputable companies will typically offer a longer and better warranty.
Q: What is the best brand of a battery-powered weed eater?
There are several reputable brands of battery-powered weed eaters on the market today. Our top-rated brands include Worx, Makita, and Black+Decker. Make sure to read all of our reviews to choose the right brand for you.
Q: How does a battery-powered weed eater work?
Battery-powered weed eaters operate on rechargeable batteries, typically lithium-ion batteries. The battery will need to be charged via a separate charger once drained to power the weed eater.
Q: What is the best cordless weed eater?
Our top-rated cordless weed eater is the Worx WG163 Cordless String Trimmer, but several other great options are available on the market. Make sure to read all of our reviews to determine which cordless weed eater is the best fit for your lawn care needs.
For a high-quality cordless weed eater, consider the Worx WG163 Cordless String Trimmer, which easily converts from a trimmer to a lawn edger, or the Earthwise Cordless String Trimmer, featuring three adjustable cut head positions.
MORE TO READ
Best Cordless Car Vacuums: Keep Your Floorboards and Upholstery Clean
Keep your car clean with one of these cordless car vacuums
The Best Cordless Jigsaws (Review & Buying Guide) in 2022
Consider these cordless jigsaws for professional use or DIY projects
Best Cordless Drills: Complete Projects with Speed and Power
Work smarter not harder with these high-quality cordless drills
Best Cordless Electric Chainsaws: Cut Wood Quickly and Efficiently
Cut wood quickly and easily with these high-quality cordless electric chainsaws