Best Backpack Blowers: Efficiently Clean Your Property
Consider these backpack blowers for convenient removal of leaves and debris from your property.
The Drive and its partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links. Read more.
BY Zach Faulds / LAST UPDATED ON March 22, 2021
If you own a large property or live in an area with many trees, one of the most tedious chores can be raking leaves. It seems as if as soon as you have your yard cleared of fallen leaves, it's time to rake them up again. One essential tool that can save you a ton of time and effort is a quality leaf blower. A backpack blower is designed to reduce stress and fatigue on your arms, and it allows you to clear your yard, deck, patio, driveway, or sidewalk of leaves and debris in a hurry.
The best backpack blowers are available in a variety of different types, sizes, and power options. Whether you are looking for great value, versatility, durability, or a user-friendly option, we look at the best backpack blowers currently available on the market. Read on to see which blower is the best fit to clean up your yard or property.
Designed to emit low noise while operating. Blows leaves and debris but also capable of collecting debris with its vacuum.
- Centrifugal air cleaning system designed to reduce wear, and extends operating time between filter cleanings
- Controls are easy to access
- Cruise control feature allows you to easily set the fan speed
- Lightweight and easy to carry around
- Issue with its reliability
- Some customers have reported issues with their blower starting
Delivers blowing speed of 200 miles per hour with an airflow capacity of 475 cubic feet per minute. Extremely durable backpack blower, featuring a heavy-duty frame.
- Features a convenient cruise control that allows you to adjust fan speed
- Features load-reducing harness to maximize comfort and reduce stress
- Designed for optimal fit, while reducing strain and fatigue.
- Shoulder straps are adjustable
- Issue with its durability
- Some customers have reported operating malfunctions after just a few uses
Features a 4-stroke engine that runs on pure gasoline. Does not require any specialized pre-mixed fuel. Large fuel tank capacity of about 61 ounces.
- Delivers maximum blower speed of 184 miles per hour
- Maximum airflow volume of 516 cubic feet per minute
- Quiet operating noise, with a maximum sound pressure of 70 decibels
- Lightweight at just under 20 pounds
- Issue with its durability
- Some customers have reported leaks with their fuel lines
Why Trust Us
All of our reviews are based on market research, expert input, or practical experience with most products we include. This way, we offer genuine, accurate guides to help you find the best picks.
Benefits of Backpack Blowers
- Efficient. One of the significant benefits of backpack blowers is that they are incredibly efficient. Most models utilize just a small amount of fuel for clearing a large number of leaves and debris.
- Economic. Backpack blowers are generally economically friendly. There are several high-quality, budget-friendly options available, and even the premium products will not cause you to break the bank to make your purchase.
- Time-saving. Backpack blowers allow you to clean large areas in just a short amount of time. In addition to saving you a lot of time, they will also save you a lot of energy and fatigue on your arms compared to regular leaf blowers.
Types of Backpack Blowers
Gas-powered backpack blowers are the most common type of backpack blowers on the market. This type of backpack blower runs on gasoline and is the most powerful of any kind of leaf blower. They operate with a manual pull start and require a particular type of fuel. They are typically the most durable and built to hold up after extensive use.
Battery-powered backpack blowers are a more economical, environmentally-friendly type of backpack blower than gas-powered blowers. This type of backpack blower is more lightweight and designed for use on smaller areas or properties. These compact blowers only last a few minutes, while others can last up to an hour or more. They typically come with a rechargeable battery, but some batteries can take quite a while to recharge. It may be a good idea to purchase two batteries, so you always have a fully charged spare battery.
Electric-powered backpack blowers are another lightweight, economical type of backpack blower. This type of blower is extremely quiet and easy to use and operate. It is best to use on small properties because a cord and outlet are needed to function properly for this type of blower. You may want to consider purchasing a heavy-duty extension cord if you have a larger yard or property. The benefit to electric-powered blowers is that you won't have to worry about the battery dying, as you do with the battery-powered blowers.
Initially founded in 1689 as a weapons foundry, Husqvarna has developed into one of the most reputable manufacturers of various products. Now, the international company specializes in lawn care and equipment products across the globe. In addition to backpack blowers, Husqvarna produces riding lawn mowers, pressure washers, vacuums, snow blowers, and more.
Founded in 1946 by veteran lumberjack Claude Poulan, Poulan Pro is known for producing high-performance, durable, and quality outdoor equipment, with a focus on development and innovation. In addition to backpack blowers, Poulan Pro manufactures chainsaws, riding lawn mowers, snowblowers, and more.
Founded in 1915 and headquartered in Anjō, Japan, Makita is one of the most reputable manufacturers of power tools in the world. The company has grown into a huge power tool manufacturing chain with factories in Brazil, China, Japan, Mexico, Romania, the United Kingdom, Germany, Dubai, Thailand, and the United States. In addition to backpack blowers, Makita produces lawn mowers, power saws, power vacuums, and more.
Backpack Blower Pricing
- Under $200: Backpack blowers in this price range are available at an excellent value. This type of blower can be of the electric or battery-powered variety, so make sure it has enough power to cover your property size.
- $200-$300: This is the most common price range for backpack blowers. Products in this price range are available in various types and typically have enough power to cover large property sizes and lawns.
- $300 and up: Backpack blowers in this price range are priced at a premium. These backpack blowers are typically the highest quality, tend to come with several special features, accessories, and are extremely high-powered and durable.
The type of engine is an important feature to consider when purchasing a backpack blower. Gas-powered backpack blowers typically feature either a 2-cycle or 4-cycle engine. A 2-cycle engine produces more power than a 4-cycle engine, but it requires a special fuel mixture of gas and oil. Four-cycle engines run strictly on gasoline and include a separate oil reservoir to lubricate the engine.
A backpack blower's performance is measured in air volume and air speed. The air speed is measured in miles per hour (MPH), while the air volume is measured in cubic feet per minute (CFM). CFM is usually the best measurement for the performance of your leaf blower. You can typically control the power settings with a trigger. To reach the maximum CFM ratings, you must run your blower on full power. Look for a blower with a rating between 500 and 700 CFM to cover larger properties with many leaves.
The weight of your backpack blower is an essential consideration since you will be carrying the product on your back while working. Gas-powered blowers are typically heavier, while battery-powered blowers can weigh as little as 15 pounds. Heavier blowers usually have more power, so you may need to purchase a more heavy-duty product if you have a large property.
- Property Size. The size of your property is an important consideration when purchasing a new backpack blower. Extremely large properties will likely require a gas-powered blower that includes a long run time and high power rating. This allows for maximum efficiency so that you do not have to stop to recharge your blower before finishing your work.
- Noise. Backpack blowers can be extremely loud, with some products reaching noise levels over 105 decibels. While operating your backpack blower, it is recommended to use earplugs or over-ear protection to protect yourself from damage or potential hearing loss. If you happen to live in a neighborhood or area with local noise ordinances, low-noise backpack leaf blowers or electric leaf blowers are a quieter option.
- Warranty. The length and type of warranty are essential considerations when contemplating the best backpack blower to fit your lawn care needs. Most reputable manufacturers will include some kind of warranty with their blower. Look to purchase a backpack blower with a limited warranty that will cover any manufacturing defects or issues with your product for its first few uses.
Best Backpack Blowers Reviews & Recommendations 2021
- If you decide to purchase a gas-powered blower, make sure you keep up with the maintenance of the spark plug: keep it clean, and replace it with a new one as needed.
- Make sure to flush the fuel lines of your blower regularly. If you are getting it out of storage for the first time of the season, it is always good to flush the old fuel and replace it with new fuel.
- Some battery-powered backpack blowers are sold as "bare tool only," meaning they do not come with a battery and charger. You will need to purchase the rechargeable battery and charger separately.
- Most battery-powered backpack blowers are not able to charge the battery while in use. If you have a larger yard or will be working for extended periods, make sure to purchase a second battery as a backup option.
- For gas-powered blowers, 2-cycle engines require a specialized mix of gasoline and oil, while 4-cycle engines run on regular gasoline. The specialized mix can usually be purchased online, as well as any automotive or hardware store.
Q: What is the best backpack blower?
Our top-rated backpack blower is the Husqvarna 350BT Backpack Blower, but several other great options are available on the market. Make sure to read all of our reviews to determine which blower is the best fit for your household needs.
Q: Is a backpack blower worth it?
If you have a large property or several trees in your yard, then a backpack blower is well worth it. Depending on your budget, there are several excellent options available to help you clear your yard of leaves, dirt, and debris in a hurry.
Q: What backpack blower has the highest cfm?
The backpack blower we reviewed with the highest cubic feet per minute (CFM) is the Schröder Industrial Backpack Blower. This powerful product features a maximum air volume of 920 CFM.
Q: How much does a backpack blower cost?
If you are shopping on a budget, some great value options are priced below $200. Premium-priced backpack blowers can cost over $300, but the most common price range is between $200 and $300.
For a high-quality backpack blower, consider the Husqvarna 350BT Backpack Blower, featuring an air injection centrifugal air cleaning system, or the Poulan Pro 2-Cycle Gas Backpack Blower, featuring an airflow capacity of up to 475 cubic feet per minute.