LAST UPDATED: March 23, 2021
The Best Tackle Boxes (Review & Buying Guide) in 2021
Consider these tackle boxes for a quality experience on your next fishing trip.
The Drive and its partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links. Read more.
PUBLISHED ON March 23, 2021
Whether you're an avid fisherman or simply enjoy casual fishing trips, one necessity is a high-quality tackle box. The best tackle boxes are a useful and convenient way to store your lures and fishing accessories for your fishing excursion. A high-quality tackle box allows you to keep your various fishing accessories well organized for easy access and protection from the elements. Tackle boxes are available in several different types to fit your fishing needs. Depending on your needs, you may want to consider a different-sized tackle box with several additional features. Whether you are looking for great value, durability, versatility, or a portable option, we look at the best tackle boxes available on the market. Read on to see which tackle box is the best fit for your fishing needs.
This tackle box is built from heavy-duty water-resistant 420D ripstop nylon material. It features 12 internal and external storage pockets.
- Large main section advertised to hold up to six 3600 size trays
- Molded tool holder allows for easy access to fishing pliers or other tools
- Does not come with any 3600 size trays
This tackle box is fully customizable, featuring 12 adjustable dividers that can create 24 different compartments. It is a great way to keep fishing lures and tools protected and well organized.
- Patented Zerust formula known to prevent rust and corrosion for up to five years
- Translucent plastic lid and base allow you to easily identify your lures
- Quite small compared to other tackle boxes
This tackle box has an integrated LED light system for use at any time of the day. It includes a mounted molded sunglass holder to help keep your glasses safe and protected.
- Removable plier holder makes sure pliers are easy to find
- Front pocket cover folds down to provide a handy working surface
- Lower interior compartment able to store up to four medium 3600 sized trays
- May not be as durable as some other products
- Not completely weather-resistant
Why Trust Us
All of our reviews are based on market research, expert input, or practical experience with most products we include. This way, we offer genuine, accurate guides to help you find the best picks.
Benefits of a Tackle Box
- Organization. Perhaps the most obvious benefit of tackle boxes is that they are an excellent organizational tool. Tackle boxes can be used to keep your hooks, lures, and other fishing accessories organized and easy to access as needed.
- Travel-friendly. Another important benefit of tackle boxes is that they are lightweight and portable enough to travel with you to your fishing site. You don't want a tackle box that is too heavy or can't easily be carried with you to your favorite spot.
- Weather-resistant. A key benefit to the best tackle boxes is that they are waterproof and weather-resistant, built from high-quality materials that can hold up in all types of weather conditions while fishing or boating.
Types of Tackle Boxes
Hardshell tackle boxes are the most common type of tackle box. This type of tackle box features a hard body exterior that can be made from various materials, including plastic, metal, and more. Hardshell tackle boxes provide the most protection and are typically weather-resistant in all types of conditions. The major downside of this type of tackle box is that it can be quite bulky, is on the heavier side, and tends to crack or break when used extensively.
Softshell tackle boxes are known for their flexibility, and they are typically the most portable of all types of tackle boxes. Softshell tackle boxes are lightweight, and they can fit more items due to their flexible shell. Look to find a softshell tackle box built from a waterproof material to improve its durability and protect your fishing accessories inside. This type of tackle box is usually easy to carry and can conveniently be collapsed to a small, storable size when not in use.
Luggage tackle boxes can be purchased as rollable or backpack variety. This type of tackle box can be found in both the hard and soft shell varieties. Rollable tackle boxes feature wheels to easily transport to your boat or fishing spot if you have several heavy items. Backpack tackle boxes feature two straps that can be carried around your back when your tackle box includes many fishing accessories.
Founded in 2011 by a group of friends in Syracuse, N.Y., KastKing has developed into a reputable household name for fishing reels, rods, lines, and accessories. The company distributes fishing products throughout the entire United States and more than 150 countries. In addition to tackle boxes, KastKing manufactures casting reels, fly fishing lines, gloves, fillet knives, and more.
Established in 1947, Flambeau Outdoors has developed into one of the most trustworthy hunting and fishing brands on the market. The company manufactures and distributes equipment and products throughout the United States, Canada, and Europe. In addition to tackle boxes, Flambeau Outdoors produces bait buckets, fishing rod cases, buck decoys, bird calls, and more.
Founded in 2003, Okeechobee Fats specializes in high-quality tackle boxes, tackle bags, and storage. The company was named after the popular fishing area of Lake Okeechobee in Florida. Their products are distributed throughout the United States and sold by several companies, including Amazon, Costco, and Walmart. In addition to tackle boxes, Okeechobee Fats manufactures bait binders, deluxe tackle bags, and more.
Tackle Box Pricing
- Under $50: Tackle boxes in this price range are available at an excellent value. Ensure that your tackle box is large enough and made from a high-quality, weather-resistant, durable material if purchasing in this price range.
- $50-$150: This is the most common price range for tackle boxes. Products in this price range are available in various types and sizes, and are typically quite durable and reliable.
- $150 and up: Tackle boxes in this price range are priced at a premium. These tackle boxes are typically the highest quality, most durable, and come with several special features or accessories.
The size of your tackle box is one of the most important features to consider. You want to make sure to find a tackle box that has enough space for all of your fishing lures, bait, toolsets, and accessories. At the same time, you don't want your tackle box to be so large that it is challenging to carry or transport to your favorite fishing hole.
The storage space of your tackle box is another essential feature to consider. It is possible to find a large tackle box with enough storage space or compartments inside to keep all of your lures and accessories organized. Some tackle boxes contain shelves inside, while others feature compartments that can be added or removed as needed.
The durability of your tackle box is another crucial factor to consider. No matter if you are shopping for a hard shell or softshell tackle box, you will want to find a tackle box that does not break, crack, tear, or stretch out after just a few years of use. Look to purchase a tackle box from a reputable manufacturer built to withstand the test of time, and made from entirely weather-resistant, waterproof material.
- Materials. The type of material that your tackle box is constructed from is another important consideration. Most hardshell tackle boxes are made from a durable plastic or metal material that is rust-resistant, waterproof, and built to hold up in almost any condition. Softshell tackle boxes are typically made from a flexible fabric material. Look for this type of tackle box to be waterproof, and the main benefit of this type is that it is easy to collapse and store away as needed.
- Special Features. Special features and accessories are other factors to consider when looking for a high-quality tackle box. Some tackle boxes are available as rollable options, which is a benefit for larger tackle boxes or if you have a lot of heavy items stored inside. Other tackle boxes are of the backpack variety, which allows you to carry them on your back if hiking or camping while fishing. Other special features include removable compartments and specially reinforced handles.
- Warranty. The length and type of warranty are essential considerations when shopping for a high-quality tackle box. Most reputable outdoor or fishing equipment manufacturers will include some kind of warranty with tackle boxes. Make sure to purchase a tackle box with a warranty that will cover any manufacturing defects or immediate issues with your product after its first few uses.
Best Tackle Boxes Reviews & Recommendations 2021
This fishing bag is built from a heavy-duty water-resistant 420D ripstop nylon material. It features 12 internal and external storage pockets to store your fishing lures, tools, and more conveniently. The bag's large main section is advertised to hold up to six 3600 size tackle box trays, stacked either horizontally or vertically. The molded tool holder allows for easy access to fishing pliers or other fishing tools without getting lost among the lures inside your bag. A Neo-grip shoulder strap features added padding for comfort and convenience while carrying your tackle box to your fishing spot.
One downside of the KastKing Large Saltwater Resistant Fishing Bag is that it does not come with any 3600 size trays. Make sure to purchase the trays separately if you do not already own them.
This tackle box is fully customizable, featuring 12 adjustable dividers that can create 24 different compartments. The patented Zerust formula has been known to prevent rust and corrosion for up to five years. The translucent plastic lid and base allow you to identify your fishing lures easily, so you know what compartment you are looking for in a hurry. The tackle box measures 11 inches by 7.25 inches by 1.75 inches, and it includes 12 Zerust dividers with each purchase. This product comes from a trusted manufacturer, so you won't have to worry about durability issues.
One issue with this tackle box is its size. It is relatively small compared to other tackle boxes, so it may not be able to hold all of your fishing lures. Since it is priced so cheaply and is compact, you could purchase a few to hold all of your fishing lures.
This backpack tackle box features an integrated LED light system so you can find your fishing lures and equipment at any time of the day. Some other special features include a removable plier holder, so your pliers are easy to see if you have a fish on the line. The front pocket cover on this fishing tackle backpack folds down to provide a handy working surface if needed for your fish. The lower interior compartment can store up to four medium 3600 sized trays. A protective rain cover is included that will keep your fishing equipment safe in all weather conditions.
However, this tackle box backpack is not as durable as some other products, especially for its high price point. It is also not completely weather-resistant, so make sure to use the rain cover if you are using it in any harsh weather conditions.
This tackle box features two heavy-duty wheels and a retractable handle to roll like a suitcase to your favorite fishing hole. There is also an included removable shoulder strap used to carry the tackle box as needed conveniently. This tackle box can be divided into two or three sections for storing your fishing lures and tools. There is room for five levels for 3600-size tackle trays that can be easily accessed from the bag's front. Two fishing rod holders made from PVC are located on each side of the bag to store up to four total fishing poles.
However, if you are on uneven ground, you may not be able to roll this tackle box around. It can also be quite heavy if you have to carry this product over long distances, even with the included shoulder strap.
This tackle bag includes a huge main compartment with enough space for up to eight large utility boxes. There is also an exterior sunglasses case with a hard protective shell. Two large side pockets and additional exterior pockets allow for enough space for all of your fishing tools and accessories. This bag can be carried via the adjustable padded shoulder strap or the neoprene-wrapped handle. It is made from a high-density fabric that can withstand most wear and tear, as well as nearly any inclement weather conditions. The bag measures 16.4 inches by 13.9 inches by 10.2 inches, but it is lightweight and flexible enough to carry with ease.
If you plan to use all eight utility boxes, this tackle box can be quite large for some fishermen. However, if you remove a couple of the boxes, this bag is relatively flexible and lightweight for its size.
This tackle box is constructed from ABS plastic featuring a snap-tight latch. Stainless steel hinge pins on the exterior of the box are entirely rustproof and weather resistant. This product is an ideal storage box for your fly fishing or ice fishing lures. It can easily hold and protect hundreds of fly fishing lures. The tackle box is completely waterproof to protect your lures and bait while fishing in inclement or wet weather conditions. It is built by an extremely reputable manufacturer, who can be relied on to manufacture durable, trustworthy products. If you are into fly fishing or ice fishing, then this is the ideal tackle box for your needs.
However, if you have many lures and plan to fill up both sides of the leaves, the box can be challenging to close and secure tightly.
The Plano Angled Premium Tackle Storage is one of the most reliable products on the market. This tackle box includes three 3650 Stowaway utility boxes for storage and protection of your fishing lures and bait. The utility boxes are stored at a 15-degree angle for easy access. The translucent plastic boxes allow you to easily see your lures and equipment if you need to find something in a hurry. There is bulk storage located under this tackle box's lid, and sturdy latches and a carrying handle provide added durability. There are even two side storage compartments located on each side of this box.
Keep in mind that if you need to store your box under a seat or in a tight space, this tackle box may be a bit too large. Otherwise, it is an excellent product for storage and protection of a large number of fishing lures.
This tackle box is waterproof, shock-resistant, and wear-resistant, allowing you to protect and store all types of fishing lures. It contains 12 compartments to keep your lures and bait well-organized at all times. The box can be opened very easily: simply release the latch, and the lid to the compartment space will pop open automatically. As a bonus, this tackle box will float on water if you ever drop it into the lake or body of water while fishing.
It should be noted that only the dividers on the medium or larger sizes of this tackle box can be removed to create larger storage areas for your lures. The medium and large sizes will allow for larger and more versatile storage spaces than the smaller option—if price is not a factor, you may want to consider upgrading to the larger options.
- Make sure that your tackle box features enough space and compartments for all of your fishing lures. It is always a good idea to keep your lures organized by categories.
- Ensure that you purchase a tackle box built from a durable, weather-resistant material to offer the best protection for your fishing lures inside.
- If you are carrying your tackle box long distances to your fishing location, make sure that it is lightweight and portable enough to lift.
- If you need to store your tackle box in compact spaces, make sure that it is small enough or built from a flexible material that can fit underneath your boat seat or vehicle.
- Some tackle boxes do not come with any included utility boxes. Make sure to purchase utility boxes separately if needed to organize and store your fishing lures.
Q: What is a tackle box used for?
A tackle box is a useful way to organize, store, and protect your fishing lures and equipment.
Q: What is a good tackle box?
There are several high-quality tackle boxes available. Make sure to read all of our reviews to determine the best fit for your fishing needs.
Q: How much does a tackle box cost?
Tackle boxes are available in various price ranges, ranging from under $50 for a budget-friendly purchase to more than $150 for a premium-priced option.
For a high-quality tackle box, consider the KastKing Large Saltwater Resistant Fishing Bag, featuring a total of 12 internal and external storage pockets, or the Flambeau Outdoors Tuff Tainer Tackle Box, featuring 12 adjustable dividers that can create up to 24 different compartments.