The Best Gutter Cleaning Tools: Efficiently Remove the Gunk
The best gutter cleaning tools to make quick work of cleaning up debris, gunk, and more.
The Drive and its partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links. Read more.
BY Heather Fishel / LAST UPDATED ON August 21, 2021
No one enjoys cleaning out gutters. It’s a frustrating — and frustratingly dirty — job that has to be performed rarely yet regularly. At least once a year, you need to climb up on a ladder and clear out all the gross gunk awaiting you inside your gutters, from leaves to mud to dirty debris. It’s a precarious task too, as you have to do all of this hard work while standing on a tall ladder (and that ladder can be especially tall if your home’s gutters are quite high). Yet with the right tools, you can take gutter cleaning from "major annoyance" to "easy-to-do job" in an instant. You just need gutter cleaning tools that work effortlessly and effectively. We’ve rounded up our product picks for the best gutter cleaning tools below so you can easily find the best fit for your gutter’s next cleaning.
A sturdy telescoping gutter cleaning tool with plenty of reach and convenience.
- 180-degree rotating nozzle
- Lightweight yet durable
- Padded, insulated foam grip
- Prone to breakage at the weakest point
An affordable, highly durable gutter cleaning tool with good reach.
- Adaptable and adjustable
- Makes cleaning quick
- Limits ladder movement needed
- Screws can work themselves loose with use
A high-powered quick-working gutter cleaning tool that simplifies cleanup.
- Adjustable, customizable pressure
- Attaches to any hose
- Comfortable non-slip handle
- May not have enough pressure for some gutters
Why Trust Us
Our reviews are driven by a combination of hands-on testing, expert input, “wisdom of the crowd” assessments from actual buyers, and our own expertise. We always aim to offer genuine, accurate guides to help you find the best picks.
Benefits of Gutter Cleaning Tools
- Better reach. Reaching your gutters is one of the trickiest aspects of cleaning them. Instead of wobbling atop a ladder to reach every piece of dirt or debris inside your gutters, gutter cleaning tools can offer you more reach, making it easier to thoroughly clean no matter where your ladder is placed.
- Quicker cleaning. With the best gutter cleaning tools, you no longer have to struggle and spend hours trying to get your gutters clear and clean. The right tools allow you to work more easily and more efficiently, tackling the problems with your gutters in less time so you’re finished faster.
- More thorough results. If you’ve ever tried cleaning out your gutters without a good tool in hand, you know just how difficult it is to clear away all of the different dirt and debris that collects in gutters. With a gutter cleaning tool, you can better reach, grab, and clear away all of that debris, getting a more thorough clean than you would without tools by your side.
Types of Gutter Cleaning Tools
Telescopic Hose Wand
A telescopic hose wand is a lengthy, slim attachment that connects right to your garden hose. With a fastener that connects easily to any garden hose’s threaded fitting, these tools let you use the pressure and water from your hose to spray your gutters clean. Most telescopic hose wands allow you to reach your gutters from the ground, with adjustable length and curved or angled ends that can fit right in and wash away dirt and debris. Convenient and simple, these gutter tools don’t require any special appliances or accessories to get the job done.
Gutter Cleaning Scoop
A gutter cleaning scoop is the simplest tool you’ll find. It’s a big scoop — it looks just like a serving scoop. While standing on your ladder, you use the scoop to dig into the debris present in your gutters and scoop it out. It’s a quick way to clear away accumulated debris, and gutter scoops are quite effective. However, it can be tricky to use one of these tools while you’re on a ladder. You’ll need to reposition and move your ladder frequently while you work. A gutter cleaning scoop also doesn’t offer any extended reach.
Pressure Washer Attachment
You can find gutter cleaning pressure washer attachments, which connect to your existing pressure washer. These long, slim attachments are hooked at one end, and they screw right onto any pressure washer handle so you can direct the nozzle and spray away any dirt or debris. The high-pressure spray of your pressure washer is funneled right into your getter, clearing away all the gunk that’s built up. Some pressure washer gutter attachments can be flimsy and difficult to work with, but for the most part, these attachments get the job done.
Wet Dry Vacuum Attachment
Another type of gutter cleaning attachment is the wet dry vacuum attachment. These are rigid lengths of pipe, and they attach to a wet-dry shop vacuum. Turn the vacuum on, and you can either suck up the gutter debris by vacuuming or blow it away with a high level of air pressure. Most wet dry vacuum attachments are universal and offer you several lengths to choose from. However, for this gutter cleaning tool to work well, you’ll need a vacuum that offers the right amount of suction — and it typically doesn’t work on wet debris.
Gutter Getter is a brand that’s dedicated to getting gutters clean. As part of the Working Products company, Gutter Getter offers superior-quality products — like the Gutter Getter 00-612 — that make cleaning and maintaining your home’s gutters much easier, allowing you to scoop, grab, and clean away debris in no time at all.
GutterMaster is a brand that offers just one product: the GutterMaster Classic Telescopic Water Fed Pole. It’s a slim yet highly effective telescopic (or extendable) wand that lessens your odds of falling and injuring yourself while working on your gutters. And with adjustable reach, it lets you clean up with your feet on solid ground.
Gutter Cleaning Tool Pricing
- Under $25: Most gutter cleaning tools are quite affordable, and you can find them priced at $25 or less. From attachments to specialized tools, most options fall within this price range.
- $30 and up: Only the most specialized and premium-quality gutter cleaning tools total $30 or more. While some options can top $70 or more, these products are made with high-quality materials and tend to be more unique.
Easy to Use
The best gutter cleaning tools are designed with ease of use in mind. The more challenging a tool is to use, the less likely you are to work with it (and clean your gutters). You want a tool that’s simple, straightforward, and very easy to use while you’re on your ladder. Look for details like simple operating instructions and tools that are self-explanatory to find the easiest to use.
Because gutters are placed up high along the roof of a home, they’re very difficult to reach — and that’s what makes them so hard to clean. A gutter cleaning tool that offers you plenty of reach is the perfect accessory. Long reach will give you exactly what you need to make easier work of cleaning your gutters regularly. Look for tools that offer both long reach and adjustable length, which makes getting inside the gutters quicker and simpler.
- Think About the Type of Debris Your Gutters Collect. Certain tools work better on certain types of debris — for example, a wet dry vacuum attachment works great on dry leaves but not wet leaves. To get the best bang for your buck out of the tool you choose, pick one that’s well-suited for the kind of debris you most frequently find yourself cleaning up.
- Ladder-Free Tools Can Be Safer. If you’ve ever taken a nasty fall off a ladder or are hoping to lower your risk of doing so, a gutter cleaning tool that doesn’t require the use of a ladder is a good idea. Tools that help you reach into your gutters without standing on a ladder offer increased safety with more reach, and this can make a world of difference when you’ve struggled on ladders previously.
- Check Fit Before Buying. Not all gutter cleaning tools work with all gutters. One of the biggest issues is usually the angle of the gutter; you want to make sure any attachment or tool you buy fits the shape, size, and angle of your gutter. Curved tools can be a good choice, but slim options are also usually a consistent fit.
Best Gutter Cleaning Tool Reviews & Recommendations 2021
- Make sure to clean your gutters at least twice per year. Failing to do so — or skipping cleanings — can potentially lead to significant damage to your home and its roof.
- If your gutters are sagging, you’re well overdue for a thorough cleaning. The debris and dirt that build up over time can get heavy and drag down your home’s gutters.
- Water-based cleaning tools aren’t always the best. Sometimes, it’s easier to clean up loose, dry debris; it depends on what kind of gunk you’re dealing with inside your gutters.
Q: Is there a tool to clean gutters from the ground?
The GutterMaster Classic Telescopic Water Fed Pole offers just the right amount of reach so you can clean your gutters right from the ground.
Q: How can I clean my gutters without a ladder?
You’ll need a tool that lets you clean safely — and with enough reach — from the ground. The GutterMaster Classic Telescopic Water Fed Pole is a perfect pick.
Q: How much should I pay to have my gutters cleaned?
With most gutter cleaning tools priced at $25 or less, you can clean out your gutters without spending a ton of money.
Q: How do you clean gutters that are too high?
If your gutters are too high (like those on a two-story house), you’ll need both a ladder and a cleaning tool with extendable or adjustable reach. The more length you get from a cleaning tool, the better and more safely it’ll be able to be used on your high-up gutters.
Our top product pick, the Orbit Telescoping Gutter Wand, will take gutter cleanings from rough to easy. If you’re looking for a more affordable tool, the Gutter Getter 00-612 is another great choice that simplifies your workload. Which gutter cleaning tool do you turn to for your home?