The Best Collapsible Wagons (Review & Buying Guide) in 2021
Conveniently transport your children and cargo with these durable collapsible wagons.
The Drive and its partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links. Read more.
BY Noelle Talmon / LAST UPDATED ON February 18, 2021
Folding or collapsible wagons are very convenient to have on hand, particularly when you're planning on visiting the beach or doing other activities that involve a lot of equipment, such as camping. These outdoor utility wagons are easy to pack and eliminate the need to travel back and forth to your vehicle several times to carry gear and supplies from one spot to another.
Collapsible wagons can accommodate a lot of equipment from coolers and chairs to portable grills and beach towels. Some are even designed to hold children who are unable to walk long distances. The best thing about these wagons is that they are easy to store and pack into your trunk or garage. Check out our list of the best collapsible wagons currently available.
This collapsible wagon can transport cargo as well as children and can be turned into a bench seat. It is 39.37 x 18.5 x 32.68 inches when in use.
- Includes a canopy
- Can accommodate two small kids
- Has two cup holders and storage pockets
- Doesn’t have brakes or a way to lock the wheels
- Can tip when moved over steep turns
This wagon is 35 x 20 x 23 inches when in use, weighs 22.5 pounds, and has a 150-pound weight capacity. It also comes with a carrying case.
- Easy to clean
- UV- and mildew-resistant
- Sturdily built
- Easy to fold
- Not meant to carry children
- Wheels don’t work well in deep sand
This wagon measures 35.5 x 18.4 x 12 inches and has four large wheels that can tackle a variety of terrain. It can accommodate up to 150 pounds.
- Front wheels rotate 360 degrees
- Retractable handle is easy to adjust
- Rolls easily through deep dry sand
- Steering it can be a little tough
- Wheels aren’t the best quality
Why Trust Us
All of our reviews are based on market research, expert input, or practical experience with most products we include. This way, we offer genuine, accurate guides to help you find the best picks.
Benefits of Collapsible Wagons
- Convenient. Collapsible wagons make it a lot easier to transport items from your vehicle to your destination. Instead of making two or three trips to your car and back, you can do it in one.
- Easy to store. You could always use a traditional wagon, but it will not be as easy to put in and remove from your vehicle and/or store in your garage or home. Folding wagons take up much less space.
- Versatile. You can use a collapsible wagon for a variety of activities. You can take one with you to the farmer's market. You can bring one to the beach. You can use one while attending one of your children's sporting activities. Essentially, you have carte blanche when it comes to their purpose.
Types of Collapsible Wagons
Kid-Friendly Versus Non-Kid-Friendly
Before purchasing a collapsible wagon, it's important to determine whether you plan on using it to carry children. Some are designed to accommodate kids, while others are not and specifically say so in the description. Even if a collapsible wagon can carry 150 pounds or more, it may not be built with safety features for children, i.e., seat belts.
Most people are familiar with Radio Flyer's red wagon. The company got its start in 1917 and is based in Chicago, Ill. Radio Flyer also makes a variety of other products for children, including tricycles and scooters. We recommend the Radio Flyer 3-In-1 EZ Folding, Outdoor Collapsible Wagon.
Based in La Verne, Calif., Mac Sports produces a wide variety of wagons for outdoor recreational use, including the Mac Sports WTC-111 Outdoor Utility Wagon or the Mac Sports Heavy Duty Collapsible Folding All Terrain Utility Beach Wagon. The company also sells camping chairs, folding stools, and other equipment for outdoor adventures.
Collapsible Wagon Pricing
- $70-$140: Collapsible wagons vary in price based on the features they provide, their size, and their intended purpose. Smaller, lightweight options will cost less, while those with larger wheels, more cargo area, etc., will be more expensive.
Many collapsible wagons are made with steel frames and some type of fabric in the cargo area. The materials are directly correlated to how durable the wagon is and whether it provides a smooth ride, which is particularly important if it's used to carry children. It's a good idea to choose a product that is easy to clean and maintain.
Collapsible wagons are designed to carry a good amount of cargo. The larger the capacity, the more items it can carry. Whether you choose to use one to transport your children or just need it for beach chairs, groceries, or other items, make sure you choose a model that is big enough to do so.
If you plan on using the wagon on smooth surfaces, smaller wheels will work just fine. However, you may need more clearance for other types of terrain. Larger wheels are a better option if you plan on tackling sand and mud or small curbs. They're also more ideal if you plan on using the wagon for gardening.
Ease of Use
Some folding wagons are easier to operate than others. For example, some models work well on paved surfaces but don't do as well on sand and dirt. Plus, you have to consider how easy it is to steer and pull or push when it's filled with equipment. The length of the handle is also important.
Ideally, you want a collapsible wagon that is quick and easy to fold up and store. Those that are a little heavier duty with additional features may be slightly more challenging to collapse into a smaller unit. Make sure to check folded dimensions to see if the wagon will be small enough for your storage space.
- Extras. Some collapsible wagons have extras such as canopies, which are great if you plan on using one to carry children or pets. A canopy can provide shade and keep harmful UV rays at bay. Other nice extras include cup holders and storage pockets, which can be used to hold a variety of different items.
Best Collapsible Wagon Reviews & Recommendations 2021
- If you carry a child in a collapsible wagon, make sure he or she wears a safety belt. You want to keep them protected in case there's an accident.
- Don't let young children use a collapsible wagon without supervision. They may enjoy playing with it, but you want to make sure they do so safely and don't hurt themselves.
- Don't overload the wagon and put in gear that exceeds the weight capacity. You can strain the wheel axles and inadvertently break the wagon.
Q: What is the best collapsible wagon?
There are a variety of excellent collapsible wagons available online and in stores. We feature many options in this buying guide.
Q: Does Home Depot sell wagons?
Yes, Home Depot sells several wagons and collapsible wagons.
Q: Which is the best beach wagon?
A folding wagon with large wheels is a better option than a traditional wagon, which does not roll very well through sand. We include many examples in this guide.
Q: Does Walmart sell wagons?
Yes, Walmart sells many different types of wagons for use at home or when you’re on the go.
Our pick for the best collapsible wagon is the Radio Flyer 3-In-1 EZ Folding, Outdoor Collapsible Wagon. It's safe for use with children, or you can use it to haul gear and equipment. It can also be turned into a convenient bench. For a more budget-friendly choice, consider the Mac Sports WTC-111 Outdoor Utility Wagon.