The Best Grilling Accessories
These top grilling accessories will make barbecuing easier, more efficient, and more exciting.
The Drive and its partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links. Read more.
BY Heather Fishel / LAST UPDATED ON July 6, 2021
Grilling doesn’t have to be complicated, but it can be enhanced and improved upon constantly. While all you need to get grilling is a grill and a few handy tools like tongs, a spatula, and the right type of fuel, there’s so much more that you can add to make both your food and your grilling experience better. From tools that make barbecuing different foods easier to accessories that make both your cooking and cleanup easier, there are a ton of different items you can incorporate into your BBQ routine. Some grilling accessories quickly become necessities, like cooking utensils and heat-safe gloves and mitts. If you'd like to know what accessories are the most helpful, check out our choices for the best grilling accessories and add them to your home barbecue arsenal.
A quick and easy durable, food-safe mat that’ll keep your grill free of messes and residue.
- Eliminates the need for non-stick spray
- Easily wipes clean
- Can be used on any grill
- Can cause grease to collect
A safe, bristle-free grill brush that scrapes away even tough messes.
- No bristles and no bristle loss
- 120 percent more rigid than other brushes
- Covers more surface area
- May not penetrate all grill grates or slats
A complete 20-piece set of essential grilling tools constructed out of quality materials.
- Includes basic and high-tech tools
- Tools are durable
- Hard storage case keeps everything portable and protected
- Pieces may not stay in place inside the case
Why Trust Us
Our reviews are driven by a combination of hands-on testing, expert input, “wisdom of the crowd” assessments from actual buyers, and our own expertise. We always aim to offer genuine, accurate guides to help you find the best picks.
Benefits of Grilling Accessories
- Easier grilling. Most grilling accessories make the process of barbecuing food a whole lot easier. From tools that allow you to easily grab, flip, and handle food to protective oven mitts and mats, these accessories can save you time and simplify your work.
- Quicker cleanup. Many grilling accessories, like grill brushes, mats, and even baskets, prevent or quickly eliminate stuck-on food, residues like grease, and other types of debris or dirt. They can take the hard work out of cleaning up after grilling, helping you get the job done faster and more efficiently.
- New cooking techniques. With the right grilling accessories, you can try out different barbecuing and grilling tricks or methods. For example, grilling baskets give you the chance to cook smaller, more delicate foods right on your grill without worrying about your grates.
Types of Grilling Accessories
Cleaning Brushes and Tools
One of the most popular grilling accessories is the grill brush. Cleaning brushes and tools are just one type of accessory, but they’re essential. You use these items when you’re finished grilling to remove any stuck-on food, residue, and other grime like grease. They ensure you can properly maintain your barbecue, keeping it in good working condition (and looking its best) throughout many grilling sessions.
Cooking utensils are another very popular variety of grilling accessory. In fact, it’s the largest category of grill accessories — it includes everything from tongs and brushes to spatulas and meat thermometers. Grilling-specific cooking utensils are designed with long handles for good reach over the hot surface of your barbecue, and they make it easier to handle whatever it is you’re cooking. They also help you perfect any recipe; for example, thermometers ensure you’re hitting just the right temperature.
A slimmer category of grill accessories is grill baskets. These metal baskets, which are typically made out of materials like stainless steel, make it easier to grill items that might otherwise slip through a grill’s grates. They’re handy for those who want to grill vegetables, seafood, and other items beyond your basic cuts of beef, chicken, and pork. Grill baskets are also portable and can be used to carry food right from the grill to the table.
You probably don’t think about protection when you’re grilling, but you do think about heat. And protective accessories, which include items like grill gloves, aprons, and heat-resistant mitts, help you avoid serious injuries like burns. These grill accessories are must-haves for new and experienced BBQ fans alike, and they ensure you can safely cook without accidents that land you in the doctor’s office.
First introduced to home chefs in the U.S. by Julia Child in 1973, Cuisinart changed cooking with the invention of the food processor. Since that first innovative appliance, Cuisinart has become one of the most trusted names in home cooking and grilling, with items like the Cuisinart Deluxe Grill Set and the Cuisinart Wooden Handle Tool Set just for BBQ enthusiasts.
There’s no better brand to trust when it comes to grilling tools and equipment than one that’s all about grilling. And that’s GrillArt. This brand offers a wealth of different grilling accessories, from cleaning tools like the GrillArt Grill Brush and Scraper to utensils and so much more. If there’s an extra you need for your BBQ, you can believe GrillArt will have it.
Grilling Accessories Pricing
- Under $25: Many great grilling accessories are priced at less than $25, giving you an affordable selection of tools, utensils, and even complete sets.
- $25 to $50: Higher-quality and more premium grilling accessories can be found in the $25 to $50 price range. You’ll also find a lot of extensive grilling utensil kits with many items at these prices.
Whether you’re picking out a pair of tongs or a new grill cleaning brush, you want to make sure all of your accessories feature long handles. A long handle is absolutely critical when you’re reaching over the open flames of your grill — or even when you’re working with a still-warm grill surface while you’re cleaning. The longer the handle, the more reach you’ll have. Extra length also helps you keep your hands and arms from accidentally touching scalding hot surfaces.
Durable Metal Material
You want grill accessories that’ll last you for a long time to come. Most accessories are constructed with metal and wood parts — but all metal is the way to go. Metal tends to be more durable than wood, and it holds up better when introduced to water and other outdoor elements. Look for extra-tough metals, like stainless steel, or metals that have been treated to resist rust and corrosion.
High Heat Tolerance
When you’re barbecuing, you’re exposing your food and your tools to some pretty high heat. That’s why it’s important to choose items that can withstand the heat from your grill. Plastic, for example, will likely melt if exposed. Instead, look for metal or other tough materials that can survive coming into contact with very hot surfaces or items. You’ll be able to trust your accessories can survive little accidents or missteps.
- Think About Your Grill Surface. Some grills have more delicate cooking surfaces than others — for example, infrared, porcelain, or ceramic — and can’t handle tough accessories. When you’re considering items for these types of cooking surfaces, you want to choose pieces that won’t cause scratches or other damage. For example, metal scrapers or grill brushes can cause visible marks.
- Consider What You Cook Most Often. Different grilling accessories have different purposes, and you may not need to own every single BBQ tool out there. For example, if you don’t plan to grill foods on skewers, do you need a set of metal skewers? If you don’t cook anything other than meat, you likely don’t need a grill basket. Curate your selection of accessories rather than buying everything you find.
- Cleaning Accessories Always Come in Handy. If you’re just starting out barbecuing or grilling, consider getting cleaning tools and accessories first. These items are critical no matter what or how you’re grilling, as you need them to get your grill and its grates ready for next time. You’ll get great value out of any cleaning accessories that help you maintain your grill.
Best Grilling Accessories Reviews & Recommendations 2021
- If you’re just starting to grill, consider investing in a grilling accessories kit. These kits typically include the basics, which means you can get great bang for your buck with a single kit.
- Most grill accessories are designed to be used with any type of grill — propane, charcoal, and even smokers can all utilize the same tools, utensils, and gadgets.
- Heading somewhere to cook on a public grill? Many grill accessories come with cases or carrying bags so you can easily bring your whole kit of utensils and tools along with you. It’s a great way to keep your favorite tools with you wherever you might go.
Q: What are the best grilling accessories?
Our favorite grilling accessories are all of the products listed here. Our top choice, the Grillaholics Grill Mat, is a great investment for any grill or any barbecue needs.
Q: What grill accessories do I need?
You’ll want to start with the basics: some grilling utensils, a thermometer, and a grill brush for cleaning. These items should have you covered when it comes to cooking foods safely (and at the right temperatures) and cleaning your grill after every use.
Q: Is it best to grill with the lid open or closed?
This is a hotly debated question, and every grill enthusiast has a different opinion. However, you want to think about your grill like your oven: every time the lid is open, heat is lost and moisture can also disappear. So, once you sear your food, it’s a good idea to close the lid to lock in the heat and moisture.
Our pick for the best grilling accessory is the Grillaholics Grill Mat, which works to keep your grill sparkling clean while you cook. However, the GrillArt Grill Brush and Scraper is another excellent tool, and it’s an affordable one too. Which grilling accessories do you consider your must-haves?