The Best 2-Piece Spinning Rods (Review & Buying Guide) in 2021
Consider these 2-piece spinning rods to make the most of your fishing trip.
The Drive and its partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links. Read more.
BY Zach Faulds / LAST UPDATED ON June 25, 2021
Whether you're an avid fisherman or simply enjoy casual fishing trips, one necessity is a high-quality fishing rod. Spinning rods are a user-friendly, versatile, and convenient tool for your fishing excursion. A 2-piece spinning rod is convenient because you can easily break the pole down into two sections to fit it in your backpack, luggage, or within your vehicle or boat when it's not in use. Two-piece spinning rods are available in several different types to best fit your fishing needs. These fishing rods are great for beginners, but they are also an excellent option for experienced fishermen. Whether you are looking for great value, durability, versatility, or a user-friendly design, we look at the best 2-piece spinning rods available on the market. Read on to determine which 2-piece spinning rod is the best fit for your fishing needs.
Made from carbon matrix KastFlex graphite, which is incredibly durable and sensitive. Extremely versatile and built to fit a variety of styles.
- Fuji line guides allow for superior casting distance and extreme accuracy
- Reel seats are made from high-strength nylon for a stable base and all-day comfort
- Performs just as well and with as much sensitivity as a one-piece spinning rod
- Issues with the tip of the rod
- Tip can easily break off if you are not careful with it
Constructed from IM6 Carbon matrix technology to maximize durability, performance, and sensitivity. Non-slip EVA and cork handle for an excellent grip.
- Stainless steel guides with ceramic inserts allow for smooth performance, minimizes friction, and prevent lines from sticking into the guides
- Tip of rod designed to prevent the fishing line from twisting
- Durable plastic reel seat with double locking structure easy to assemble and disassemble
- Issues with its durability
- Has snapped on some customers, but it does come with a great warranty. If your rod does break, reach out to the company
Extremely reliable product. The 2-piece spinning rod is one of the most lightweight rods available. Incredibly durable and comfortable.
- TAC handle provides excellent grip for all types of fishing conditions
- More durable than cork
- Provides excellent grip, even in wet conditions
- Titanium guides help to eliminate tangles in your fishing line, as well as insert pop-outs
- Comes with a limited lifetime warranty
- An issue with ease of use
- Not as user-friendly as some other models, so it is not the best fishing rod for beginners or casual fishermen
Why Trust Us
Our reviews are driven by a combination of hands-on testing, expert input, “wisdom of the crowd” assessments from actual buyers, and our own expertise. We always aim to offer genuine, accurate guides to help you find the best picks.
Benefits of 2 Piece Spinning Rod
- Portable. Perhaps the most obvious benefit of 2-piece spinning rods is that they can be broken down into two parts to easily fit within your backpack or luggage while traveling. It also is extremely convenient for storage purposes to be able to store your pole in your vehicle or boat without taking up much space.
- Sensitive. Another major benefit of 2-piece spinning rods is their sensitivity. Although some may argue that a one-piece rod is more sensitive, most modern 2-piece spinning rods are quite sensitive to allow you to notice any bite on your line.
- Durable. Two-piece spinning rods can be made from a variety of materials, but no matter what they are constructed from, most rods are quite sturdy and reliable. High-quality spinning rods are rust-resistant and built to withstand the test of time.
Types of 2 Piece Spinning Rods
Heavy spinning rods weigh the most of the three types of spinning rods. This type of spinning rod will bend the least. A heavy spinning rod is needed if you will be using heavy bait rigs and lures. This type of rod is usually of an average length, but heavy rods can be shorter or longer length rods, depending on your style and preferences.
Medium spinning rods are the most common type of spinning rod. This type of spinning rod has some bend, but it is still a great option for many types of bait rigs and lures. Medium spinning rods can be both shorter or longer, depending on your fishing style and individual preferences.
Light spinning rods are the lightest of the three types of spinning rods. This type of spinning rod has the most bend of any type of spinning rod. A light spinning rod is meant to be used for the lightest bait rigs and lures. Light spinning rods are typically shorter length or average length, so if you prefer a longer rod you may want to consider one of the other types of spinning rods.
Founded in 2011 by a group of friends in Syracuse, N.Y., KastKing has developed into a reputable, household name for fishing reels, rods, lines, and accessories. The company distributes fishing products throughout the entire United States and over 150 countries. In addition to 2-piece spinning rods, KastKing manufactures casting reels, ice fishing rods, fly fishing lines, gloves, fillet knives, and more.
Founded in 2011, Plusinno has become one of the most reliable, affordable, and quality manufacturers of fishing gear and accessories. The company ships fishing products throughout the United States. In addition to 2-piece spinning rods, Plusinno produces tackle boxes, fishing nets, fishing reels, fishing tools, and more.
Fenwick is one of the extremely reputable brands of Pure Fishing, a collection of angler brands, known for shipping modern fishing products around the globe. In addition to 2-piece fishing rods, Fenwick produces fly fishing rods, rod and reel combos, ice fishing rods, apparel, and more.
2 Piece Spinning Rod Pricing
- Under $50: Two-piece spinning rods in this price range are available at an excellent value. Make sure to read all of the reviews to ensure that your spinning rod is properly sized and fits your fishing preferences before making your final purchase.
- $50-$100: This is the most common price range for two-piece spinning rods. Products in this price range are available in a variety of types, lengths, and they are typically quite reliable and durable.
- $100 and up: Two-piece spinning rods in this price range are priced at a premium. These spinning rods are typically the highest quality, most durable, and sometimes even come with several special features or accessories.
The length of your 2-piece spinning rod is one of the most important features to consider. Whether your rod is heavy, medium, or light, it typically is available to purchase in a variety of lengths, ranging from six feet to eight feet long. Longer poles are typically meant for professionals but choose a size that is the best fit for your needs. Most rods can be compacted to a size between three and four feet when taken apart.
The type of material that your 2-piece spinning rod is made from is another important consideration. Two-piece spinning rods can be made from fiberglass, graphite, carbon fiber, and more. Fiberglass is a more heavy-duty material, while carbon fiber is more lightweight. Carbon fiber rods are more expensive, but they are generally easier to use due to the smaller weight of the rod.
It is essential when shopping for a 2-piece spinning rod to find one that is easy to operate. Most 2-piece spinning rods are known for being user-friendly, and they can easily be used by both casual fishermen and professional anglers. Make sure to read all of the reviews or test out your rod before using it if possible to make sure it is a proper fit for your specific needs.
- Reliability. The reliability of your 2-piece spinning rod is another important consideration. The most reliable spinning rods are typically the most durable products built to withstand years of extensive use. Finding a reliable rod is important because it can also affect the stability of your pole while fishing, and a reliable rod is usually made from a high-quality, rustproof, and weather-resistant material.
- Price. The price of your 2-piece spinning rod is something that needs to be considered. If you are shopping on a budget, you can still find a quality product. If you are a professional fisherman or price is not a factor, you may want to consider a higher-priced rod with quality construction and many special features.
- Warranty. The length and type of warranty are important considerations when shopping for a 2-piece spinning rod. Most reputable outdoor or fishing equipment manufacturers will include some type of warranty with their product. Make sure to purchase a 2-piece spinning rod with a warranty that will at least cover any manufacturing defects or immediate issues with your product after its first few uses.
Best 2 Piece Spinning Rod Reviews & Recommendations 2021
- Although a braided line is generally best to use with a spinning rod, most modern spinning rods are capable of handling any type of fishing line.
- Familiarize yourself with how to fill your spinning reel spool before using your rod for the first time. Underfilling your spool can cause friction issues while overfilling it can result in an overflow when casting.
- You can reduce tangles in your line and knots caused by the wind by always making sure to close your bail by hand after a cast.
- Learn how to feather your line with your forefinger to maximize the efficiency of your spinning rod.
- If your spinning rod is reeled against the drag, it will result in a twisted line. If you can hear drag on your line, do not reel or it will result in a tangled line.
Q: Are 2 piece fishing rods good?
Yes, there are several great 2-piece spinning rods available on the market today. Make sure to read all of our reviews to determine which rod is the best fit for your style and individual preferences.
Q: What is the best all-around spinning rod?
Our choice for the best all-around spinning rod is the KastKing Royale Select Fishing Rod, but there are several other great options available.
Q: What is the best length for a spinning rod?
There are several different lengths available for a 2-piece spinning rod. A short spinning rod of six feet or less is ideal if you want to make short, accurate casts. When pinpoint accuracy is not as critical, a longer spinning rod of over 7 feet is the better choice.
For a high-quality 2-piece spinning rod, consider the KastKing Royale Select Fishing Rod, made from a durable carbon matrix KastFlex graphite, or the Plusinno Elite Hunter Fishing Rod, which includes stainless steel guides with ceramic inserts for a smooth performance.
Drop us a comment and let us know what your favorite 2-piece spinning rod is and what you love about it.