The Best Beach Carts (Review & Buying Guide) in 2021
Make your day at the beach easier with a cart for all of your gear.
The Drive and its partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links. Read more.
BY Andra DelMonico / LAST UPDATED ON April 1, 2021
Going to the beach is usually a fun and relaxing experience. However, there’s nothing fun about lugging tons of gear back and forth from your car to your spot on the sand. Items don't seem that heavy when you load them into the car. But when you’re trying to get set up, carrying it all at once makes it feel like a ton.
A beach cart will make your life easier. Load it up with towels, chairs, a cooler, and an umbrella. Then use its large wheels to roll over the sand and get to your chosen spot in one trip. No more loading up your arms and performing a balancing act. No more feeling exhausted after taking multiple trips. This guide is about to make your life easier with a guide to buying the next beach cart for your day in the sun.
This all-terrain wagon is collapsible and capable of carrying up to 265 pounds. There’s a handle on each end and four large wheels for easy steering.
- Extendable pull handle up to 43.7 inches
- Universal swivel wheels
- Foot brake
- Lacks wheel traction
- No instructions
You’ll love the bright blue design of this beach cart. It weighs 18.8 pounds and has ten-inch wheels. There are an included removable tote and heavy-duty mesh fabric cargo compartment.
- Sturdy steel frame
- Dries quickly
- Side umbrella Holder
- Hard plastic wheels
- Sinks in soft sand
This large-wheeled wagon comes in blue, red, grey, and black. It has an aluminum frame and polyester material construction. It can support a maximum weight of 150 pounds. The wheels are seven inches.
- Black powder-coated frame
- Wheels can rotate 360 degrees
- Rubber traction strip on wheels
- Short handle extension
- Plastic components
Why Trust Us
Our reviews are driven by a combination of hands-on testing, expert input, “wisdom of the crowd” assessments from actual buyers, and our own expertise. We always aim to offer genuine, accurate guides to help you find the best picks.
Benefits of a Beach Cart
- Carry more. Whether your carrying pets, children, or gear, they all start out feeling manageable and get progressively heavier as time goes on. Load your gear into a cart and have more space to carry more beach supplies. Wagons have the added benefit of carrying small children or pets.
- Less body stress. Carrying all of that gear can be heavy, stressing your muscles and putting additional pressure on your body. Putting everything into a cart means there’s less weight on you. Now you can get to your beach spot and not feel worn out.
- Go further. Since a cart makes it easier to carry more, you can walk further with fewer issues. No more fears of making multiple mile-long trips to the car. Walk further and get closer to the water or find a more secluded spot on the sand.
Types of Beach Carts
These carts look like a wagon with a long and low storage area. There are four wheels and a handle for pulling. These are perfect for carrying pets, children, coolers, or anything else that needs horizontal space. Some also come with a canopy cover to provide the interior storage with shade. For the best quality wagon, look for one with a lightweight yet durable frame, large wheels, and an adjustable handle.
These carts are vertical in shape and have two wheels on one side of the base. To use them, you’ll tilt them onto the wheels and then pull or push them where you want to go. This style is ideal for carrying skinny and tall items. You could put rolled-up towels, a surfboard, and an umbrella in them. Some are open style, so instead of having a cargo compartment, you strap your items to it. This makes them more versatile as you can use them to carry larger items like your beach chairs or cooler.
This type of cart is a crossover of the other two types. It has a vertical design for the body, making it similar to the dolly style. However, it also has four wheels, making it similar to the wagon. These carts are nice because you can easily push or pull them in any direction. However, you’ll need to be careful because they can easily tip over if they are too tall.
Beau Jardin is a go-to company for home products with a dedication to producing rich, colorful, and convenient home products. Its product line features solar lights, folding wagons, barbecues, cat trees, and doormats. Customers can trust their products to be durable and dependable. The Beau Jardin Heavy Duty Wagon is sure to impress with its 300-pound maximum weight capacity.
Life is meant for living, and that’s the philosophy that the team at MacSports follows. The company’s collection of products include everything you need to make your outdoor time more enjoyable and comfortable. This includes chairs, hammocks, wagons, and loungers. The Mac Sports Heavy Duty Collapsible Beach Cart is a strong cart that will carry everything you want to bring with you.
Founded in 1947, families have trusted Rio Brands for generations for its premium outdoor furniture. The company stands out for being a family run business that produces premium quality beach chairs and carts. The Rio Beach Wonder Wheeler is a stroller style cart that will give you plenty of cargo capacity.
Beach Cart Pricing
- Under $100: You can buy a simple and lightweight beach cart in this price range. It may not use the highest quality materials or be the most durable, but it’ll work great for the occasional beachgoer.
- $100 to $125: The majority of beach carts are in this price range. They vary in style, quality, and features. They will serve the regular beachgoer with the average amount of gear perfectly.
- $125 and up: The carts in this price range have the most features, durability, and strength. They’re perfect for someone who is at the beach almost daily or has an entire family’s worth of gear to bring with them.
The wheels of your cart need to be large, both in diameter and width. This gives them more surface area and prevents them from sinking into the sand. The wheels should also have a tread on them to give the wheels’ traction and allow them to dig in and roll. Some beach carts have inflatable wheels. These tend to be the largest style of wheels on beach carts.
Look at the amount of space that’s in the storage compartment. This will tell you what you can fit into the beach cart. Look for one that’s large enough to carry everything you want in it. Look for a weight capacity, as this can affect how the cart rolls and steers. On average, beach carts can carry 15 to 25 pounds.
The cart’s material will directly affect its durability and weight. A steel frame will be strong and durable. However, it can be susceptible to corrosion and is heavy. Aluminum is lightweight and corrosion-resistant. However, it isn’t the most durable. Plastic can be suitable for light-duty applications and is corrosion resistant. However, plastic can degrade from UV rays.
- Portability. Some beach carts fold down to make it easier to transport them. Four-wheeled wagons tend to fold in the center to become flat. A dolly style tends to fold in half to reduce its length. If you have a smaller vehicle, look for a cart that will fit in your trunk or backseat.
- Style. There are three main types of beach carts to choose from. The style that you pick will depend on what you need to carry and the type of sand you’ll want to roll it on. Some carts will do better on hard-packed sand, while others are meant for soft sugar sand.
- Handles. The handle shape, size, and placement are crucial. A wider handle on a wagon-style will give you more maneuverability. If the length is adjustable, it will be more comfortable for users of different heights. An ergonomic or padded handle will be less stressful on your hand when pulling a heavier load.
Best Beach Carts Reviews & Recommendations 2021
- Gather everything you want to carry in your wagon and measure it. That way, you can buy a wagon that’s big enough for everything.
- Open and clean your wagon after each use. This prevents corrosion and abrasion of the components. Your wagon will last longer.
- An adjustable wagon or one with removable accessories will be the most versatile and functional. You can then use it for more than just going to the beach.
Q: What are the best beach wagons?
The best beach wagons are large enough to carry all of your supplies and gear. They are also durable and resistant to corrosion. This makes them functional for long term use. What makes the best wagons stand out is that they are easy to use. They should have a simple folding and unfolding process with an extendable handle.
Q: What are the best beach wagons for soft sand?
The best beach wagons for soft sand are ones with wide tires. Bigger tires have more surface area and are less likely to sink. They should also have an aggressive tread design. This enables them to gain traction and effectively roll. Finally, they are easy to clean.
Q: Can You pull a wagon on the beach?
It depends; some wagons are easy to pull on the beach because they have large, wide tires with a tread that allows them to gain traction in soft sand. Other wagons are not easily pulled because they have narrow, smooth tires that do not get any traction.
Q: What is a beach cart?
A beach cart is a wagon or cart with a large storage compartment, wheels, and a handle. This lets you carry a large number of items with you easily at one time. The cart will take the stress off of your back and body by rolling smoothly over the unstable terrain.
The TMZ All Terrain Wide Wheel Utility Folding Wagon is a top choice with its high weight capacity, foot brake, and full swivel wheels. An affordable yet great alternative is the Rio Brands Deluxe Wonder Wheeler Wide with its sturdy steel frame and quick-drying ability.