The Best ATV Bags (Review & Buying Guide) in 2021
These top ATV bags offer critical storage space and make a perfect addition to any ATV.
The Drive and its partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links. Read more.
BY Heather Fishel / LAST UPDATED ON March 28, 2021
If you’ve got stuff to carry with you when you’re heading out on an ATV adventure, you need an easy solution. You don’t want to be weighed down or wearing bags and gear on your back while you drive. That’s exactly what ATV bags are designed for — convenient carrying. ATV bags, which are made to fit your ATV and offer space to store all kinds of items and accessories, are tough, capable, and handy to have on your vehicle.
Whether you’re looking for better storage space or a more convenient way to carry your gear, an ATV bag is the perfect solution. Available in many different styles, sizes, and materials, it’s easy to find an option that not only fits your ATV but also suits your needs. Check out which ATV bags we’ve chosen as the best of the best right here.
A highly durable storage setup that offers a wealth of space while protecting what’s inside.
- Multiple detachable bags for custom storage
- Made to survive dirt, mud, and more
- Includes a cooler section
- Straps may be prone to rips and tears
A sleek, simple solution that offers waterproof and dirt-proof storage space.
- Tough, weather-resistant fabric
- Insulated to keep cold items cold
- Fits ATVs as well as UTVs, motorcycles, and more
- Doesn’t secure to your vehicle
Impressive storage space and premium materials that increase your ATV’s capacity.
- Tubular steel frame is strong and supportive
- Adds a padded seat to your ATV
- Sealed to protect whatever’s inside against dust, dirt, rain, and more
- Water-resistant, not waterproof
Why Trust Us
Our reviews are driven by a combination of hands-on testing, expert input, “wisdom of the crowd” assessments from actual buyers, and our own expertise. We always aim to offer genuine, accurate guides to help you find the best picks.
Benefits of ATV Bags
- Extra storage space. You’ll have plenty of room to store absolutely anything you need to carry with an ATV bag. Available in a wide range of different sizes, you can opt for compact storage or large storage, giving you enough space to carry just about anything you might need while riding.
- Increased flexibility. Many ATV bags are built to adapt to your needs. Whether you need to carry a lot or a little, you can find a bag that’ll allow you the flexibility to stash anything you might need to have on hand. Don’t need to carry anything? You can always remove your ATV bag too.
- Protects against dirt, mud, and more. Made with outdoor-ready fabric and materials, ATV bags are prepared for anything they might encounter. They’re designed for off-roading and all of its mud, dirt, rain, and more — and a bag will keep whatever you need to carry with you well-protected.
- Keeps food and drinks handy. If you’re planning a full day out on your ATV with friends, an ATV storage bag will make it easy to bring food and drinks along for the ride. Many of these bags feature coolers or insulated storage space, which keeps food and drinks at just the right temperature.
Types of ATV Bags
Soft ATV Bags
A soft ATV bag is a flexible, adaptable choice. These bags allow you to really stuff them full of gear — and soft items can easily be compressed inside. Made out of materials like nylon that are durable enough to survive the demands of ATV adventures, a soft bag can give you the protection you need while allowing you to adjust to as much or as little storage space as you need. However, many soft ATV bags aren’t waterproof, which can be problematic if you’re carrying electronics with you.
Hard ATV Bags
A hard ATV bag is sturdier and firmer, with clearly defined storage space and a frame that holds the structure in place. Typically made with iron frames, hard ATV bags are the toughest, most durable choice. They can survive impacts, weather, and more without getting damaged. And they’ll keep whatever you stash inside perfectly protected. However, because of their hard exterior, these bags tend to offer more limited storage space. They also can’t adjust or adapt while you’re on the go.
Kolpin is a brand that’s wholly dedicated to ATV and UTV accessories — meaning you can trust that Kolpin gear will be a good, reliable choice. Originally founded in 1943 as an outdoor products company, Kolpin changed focus and is now responsible for impressively durable ATV items like the Kolpin 91155 Matrix Seat Bag and the Kolpin 91150 Matrix Seat Bag.
A newcomer in the ATV and UTV space, ATV Tek was founded in 2010. But this brand’s products are seriously tough. From sturdy, protective, and capable bags like the ATV Tek Arch Series Oversized Rear Rack Utility Pack and the ATV Tek Arch Series Black Padded Bottom Bag to a wealth of ATV-specific accessories, ATV Tek does it all.
ATV Bag Pricing
- Under $50: If you’re looking for something simple, you can find small ATV bags priced at $50 or less. These bags tend to be small saddlebags that can hold personal items.
- $50 to $150: Most ATV bags fall in this price range, which means you’ll have a ton of options to choose from. You’ll find soft and hard bags as well as small and large bags in a variety of different styles.
- $150 and up: The most premium of all ATV bags tend to total $150 or more. These are typically very large and extra-durable hard bags with tough frames and more feature-filled storage space.
When you’re riding your ATV, you don’t worry about the elements — dirt, mud, rain, snow, and more are all simply part of the experience. But when you’re carrying gear, food, or electronics, you need to make sure they’re safe and protected from these potential dangers. The best ATV bags will be those made with outdoor-ready material, or materials that can withstand weather and dirt. Water-resistant bags are a great idea, but waterproof options are even better.
Strong Securing System
If you don’t want to watch your ATV bag fly off your vehicle while you’re hitting bumps or riding at high speeds, then you need a bag with a strong securing system. Some bags simply drape over part of your ATV. Others attach via Velcro straps, netting, or elastic straps. The best choice is whichever will stay in place on your specific ATV no matter how you’re riding or what kind of terrain you’re facing.
Specialized Storage Compartments
The best ATV bags are those that perfectly meet your needs — no matter what those needs are. Fortunately, plenty of ATV bags offer specialized storage compartments. Some include coolers or insulated sections for stashing cold drinks and food. Others include padded, highly protected tech pockets or zippered storage sections. Still, others will allow you to remove or adjust different storage compartments as needed. Look for a bag that includes the extras most important to you.
- Number of Storage Compartments. More storage compartments mean more space. While some ATV bags are straightforward and offer just one large area to stash items, others include extras like convertible or removable compartments. More “extras” can offer you more flexibility as your needs change over time.
- Military-Grade Material. If you’re looking for the toughest, most durable options, you’re going to want to look for ATV bags that are made with military-grade materials. Each bag should tell you just how strong its materials are, and this kind can survive even the toughest tactical settings.
- Versatility. Want to get even more value out of your ATV bag? Look for a bag that includes a seat. It’s common for larger rear ATV bags to include — or even convert into — seats that can add comfort and convenience to every ride. These options may be valuable if you’re looking for the ultimate level of versatility.
Best ATV Bags Reviews & Recommendations 2021
- Zippers are super common, but they’re also very weak. Because of the wear and tear ATV bags experience, zippers are often the first component to break — Velcro, buckles, and other types of closures tend to be a stronger choice.
- Think about mounting before choosing an ATV bag. You can carry cargo at the front or rear of your ATV, but both styles can pose their mounting challenges, so make sure to assess what’s best for your needs.
- Extras, like cup holders for drinks or special smartphone pockets, can be handy. But they can also take up valuable space that could be used for more important gear. Consider whether or not you’ll benefit from any extras like these.
Q: How do you store your ATV for the winter?
If you’re putting your ATV into storage for the winter, you’ll want to clean it off and perform a little maintenance. Drain the fuel and store it with an added stabilizer. Change the oil and air filter. Give your ATV a thorough wash, then make sure all of the components are in good working order — and that the tires are fully inflated. Then, cover your ATV so it stays pristine while stored.
Q: Where can you store your ATV for the winter?
Make sure to store your ATV in a dry place during winter. A garage or shed is a smart idea, as your ATV will be protected from snow, cold outdoor temperatures, and other potentially damaging elements. If possible, it’s also a good idea to find a place that limits sunlight, as sun exposure could damage the tires and any plastic components.
The Kolpin 91155 Matrix Seat Bag is our pick for the best overall ATV bag, and it offers both great storage space and long-term durability. If you’re looking for a more affordable option, the Wilove ATV Cargo Pocket Saddle Bag is slimmer and will give you great value. Tell us which ATV bags are your top picks below.