The Best Aerogardens
The best aerogardens for growing your very own foolproof indoor garden.
The Drive and its partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links. Read more.
BY Heather Fishel / LAST UPDATED ON March 29, 2021
Do you feel like you have a black thumb instead of a green thumb every time you try to care for a plant? Gardening — or even the simple chore of watering houseplants — is a serious science. It takes knowledge, the right weather, and plenty of variables to grow flowers, herbs, or other types of greenery. Yet it’s very easy to destroy your plants and watch your garden fail.
If you’ve been hoping for some fresh herbs or want to bring a little life inside, try an aerogarden. These innovative and compact gardening kits allow you to garden inside. They’re easy enough to use that anyone—even those with the worst track records—can get a lush garden going. Check out our picks for the best aerogardens right here.
A compact indoor gardening kit that allows you to grow a variety of plants with ease.
- Includes six different seed choices
- Can grow up to six plants at once
- Fits in small spaces
- Light is quite bright
- Some seed pods may fail to grow
A smart, high-performance indoor gardening setup with a more affordable price.
- Grow up to seven plants simultaneously
- Three smart growing modes
- Alerts and alarms easily notify you
- Doesn’t come with seeds
A larger, top-of-the-line indoor gardening kit with even more features and functions.
- Wi-Fi-enabled and compatible with Amazon Alexa
- Allows for up to nine plants to grow
- Gets plants growing quite quickly
- Some seed pods may not produce anything
Why Trust Us
All of our reviews are based on market research, expert input, or practical experience with most products we include. This way, we offer genuine, accurate guides to help you find the best picks.
Benefits of Aerogardens
- Include everything you need. Most aerogarden kits simplify the gardening experience by coming with everything — the seeds, fertilizer, and light, along with all of the other accessories you need. This makes it easy to access all of the items you need as soon as you’re ready to grow.
- Easy assembly and setup. Aerogardens are self-contained indoor gardens, which makes the process of setting up your garden incredibly easy. Forget about digging through dirt and spending hours outside; you can get growing in mere minutes.
- Automatically controls the growing process. If you’re unsure what plants need to grow correctly, an aerogarden takes away all of the guesswork since these smart indoor gardens automatically control the entire growing process. They offer reminders to add water, tend to your plants, and even set timers to control the amount of light your plants receive.
- Helps plants grow larger quicker. Thanks to the smart, hi-tech methods of aerogardens, like LED light and aeroponic gardening techniques, the plants that grow will grow faster. They’ll also grow larger, offering you a bigger harvest. That means you’ll get great bang for your buck no matter what you choose to grow.
- Backed by a guarantee. Many aerogarden products are sold with a grow guarantee or a germination guarantee. If your garden doesn’t produce any plants or some plants fail to sprout, you may be able to get a replacement pod or seed kit.
Types of Aerogardens
Compact aerogardens are the smallest models available. They work just like any other aerogarden, but they’re more petite in size. A compact aerogarden will typically allow you to grow anywhere from three to six different plants simultaneously, and they take up the least amount of space in your home. These smaller aerogardens are an excellent choice for apartment dwellers or first-time gardeners who don’t want to start with too many plants to manage.
If you want to bring a whole garden’s worth of plants into your home and have the space to do so, you can opt for a large aerogarden. These models are also called farm aerogardens, as they grow as many as 24 plants simultaneously. They’re bigger in width and height, allowing plants to grow even taller than compact or standard aerogardens. A large aerogarden is a great option for anyone who loves having plenty of fresh herbs on hand in the kitchen or homeowners with quite a bit of space to grow.
AeroGarden is the biggest brand in the aerogarden space, and it’s the brand that created the original indoor aeroponic products. There is a wide selection of different AeroGarden options to choose from, along with seed kits, plant food, grow lights, and more.
- Under $100: A few aerogarden products — typically those smaller and more compact — can be found for $100 or less. Most basic models cost between $80 and $100, which will give you a great selection of starter options.
- $150 and up: You’ll find larger, smarter, and more hi-tech aerogardens priced at $150 and up. Some of the largest and most advanced models can run $300 or more, offering double or triple the capacity of a basic aerogarden.
Multiple Plant Pods
The plant pods are where your aerogarden plants will grow. The more pods an aerogarden has, the more plants you can grow simultaneously. While this is mostly a personal preference, it’s important to make sure you choose an aerogarden with enough space to support your needs or wants. Do you want a wealth of herbs? Do you want to start with just a few plants and then grow more?
Smart Control Panel
While some aerogardens are pretty straightforward and simple, options with smart control panels are the best available. A smart control panel makes it incredibly easy to manage your plants while they grow and thrive. This is where you can set timers and reminders, control the LED grow lights, and manage your garden's overall well-being. The smarter the features and functionality, the more you'll be able to oversee.
You might not think a garden of plants needs Wi-Fi, but aerogardens aren’t your average garden. And aerogardens that feature Wi-Fi connectivity can actually be quite handy. These hi-tech gardens offer you a very easy way to oversee and manage your growing plants. With Wi-Fi, you can connect your aerogarden to your smartphone and control its features, making it even easier to ensure everything is growing smoothly.
- Aerogarden Plants Grow Quickly, Not Immediately. You’ll see results — and green sprouts — in your aerogarden pretty quickly after planting your pods. However, don’t expect immediate results. These plants can take about four months, on average, to show visible growth. Just like a traditional garden, it takes patience.
- Larger Aerogardens Are Ideal for Home Chefs. If you love being creative in the kitchen, you’re going to want to opt for a larger aerogarden with more room for various plants. Larger aerogardens offer more variety, and they also allow plants to grow taller and wider. This can provide you with more herbs in larger quantities, perfect for recipes that require a lot of fresh ingredients.
- An Aerogarden Can Attract Bugs. Just like an outdoor garden, you may notice small bugs flying around your aerogarden. Plants, even without soil and the outdoor elements, generally attract insects. You shouldn’t see too many, but don’t be surprised if a few do appear as your plants become increasingly mature.
Best Aerogardens Reviews & Recommendations 2021
- Purchasing new seed pods can be costly. However, look for pods that are backed by a grow or germination guarantee, so you’ll get better value. You’ll be guaranteed to wind up with a plant — or you can get a replacement.
- The LED lights that keep your aerogarden plants growing do stay on for an average of 15 hours per day. Place your aerogarden somewhere less visible if the light is bothering you at night.
- You can use your own seeds in an aerogarden, but keep in mind that you’ll need a blank pod to put them in. Shop around to look for economical blank pods you can use again and again for the best value.
Q: Which aerogarden is best for tomatoes?
A: A larger aerogarden, like the AeroGarden Bounty Elite, is the best pick for growing tomatoes. Just make sure you select seeds for a small variety of tomatoes, like cherry tomatoes, since full-tomatoes will be too large for any aerogarden.
Q: Is an aerogarden worth it?
A: An aerogarden is very much a worthwhile investment, especially if you’ve struggled to grow plants in a traditional garden. Anyone can use an aerogarden, even those who don’t have yards, patios, or outdoor spaces.
Q: What is the difference between the AeroGarden Harvest and the Harvest Elite?
A: Both the AeroGarden Harvest and the AeroGarden Harvest Elite have space for six plants to grow at the same time and are compact for countertops. However, the Harvest Elite model is 30 percent smaller — all without sacrificing the same water capacity and plant growth space.
The AeroGarden Harvest is our pick for the best aerogarden, and it offers beginner and expert gardeners a wealth of benefits. If you’re looking for great value, the iDoo Hydroponics Growing System is an affordable alternative.