The Best Bike Speakers (Review & Buying Guide) in 2021
Enjoy your motorcycle ride even more with these bike speakers.
The Drive and its partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links. Read more.
BY Amanda Ryan / LAST UPDATED ON February 28, 2021
While the sound of a revving motorcycle engine is like music to many people's ears, you may want to listen to other types of sounds while you're riding down the highway. Riding ordinary or mundane modes of transportation, like a car or bus, simply will not do. You have a craving you need to satisfy. You hunger for the liberating and exhilarating feelings that come with the power of riding a motorcycle.
Yet, you no longer want to go without the capability of turning on your favorite song. Whether your music playlist is full of rock n’ roll, hip hop, or country music, you need to hear the tunes over the sounds of engines. To ensure that you can, check out the best bike speakers available.
Travel and listen to your favorite tunes no matter the weather. With the Boss MC470B Audio’s power amp and two 3-inch chrome, full-range weatherproof speakers, you can play music wherever you ride.
- Comes with a wired remote volume control
- Speakers are weatherproof, protecting the elements
- Four speakers can take up a lot of handlebar space
GoHawk Bluetooth RD8 motorcycle speakers make up a Generation Two soundbar. It includes a new mounting clamp, which works with 7/8 inches to 1 1/4 inches handlebars.
- Easy wiring and installation.
- Comes with a set of two stainless steel mounting brackets for more custom installation
- USB charging is not supported
The Lexin LX-S3CH is a bullet shape bar-mount speaker system. Get stereo sound after powering on, and pairing the chrome-plated Lexin speakers with your Smartphone via Bluetooth.
- 3-inch stereo speakers have a 50-watt power amplifier, making the volume extremely loud, while still providing premium sound
- Depending on the bike, the screws may be too short for some bars, and too long for others
Why Trust Us
All of our reviews are based on market research, expert input, or practical experience with most products we include. This way, we offer genuine, accurate guides to help you find the best picks.
Benefits of Bike Speakers
- Enhances the experience. With speakers on your motorcycle, you can create a playlist or set a soundtrack for every day or long rides.
- Provides access to GPS voice navigation. Most motorcycle speakers are Bluetooth compatible with smartphones and other devices. As your speakers access your phone for music, it provides the opportunity for you to use GPS voice navigation.
- Adds a communication and entertainment system. Some motorcycle speakers have both communication and music features. Adding these speakers to the handlebar or helmet will transform your travels.
- Increases the resale value. Depending on the bike and speakers, selling a bike that allows the rider to listen to music, can increase the resale value of the motorcycle.
Types of Bike Speakers
Motorcycle Handlebar-Mounted Speakers
Motorcycle handlebar-mounted speakers can add an element of style that helmet speakers cannot. Since the speakers are visible, they can change the look of a bike, giving it uniqueness. Handlebar speakers are often louder and have a wide variety of functions.
Motorcycle Helmet Speakers (Headsets)
Motorcycle Helmet Speakers or Headsets are usually small, but big in sound. The headset/speaker is either built into the helmet or can be mounted on one. You can choose wired or wireless helmet headsets. They are great for both entertainment purposes, and for communicating with other riders.
The American audio equipment manufacturer, Boss Audio Systems, specializes in automotive and marine applications. Founded in 1987, the Boss systems headquarters is in Oxnard, Calif. The Boss Audio company produces the best overall speakers, Boss Audio Motorcycle Bluetooth Speaker (MC470B).
GoHawk or Golden Hawk manufactures high-end motorcycle stereo products and accessories. Founded in the 1950s and located in the United States, it produces the best value speakers, GoHawk Bluetooth Motorcycle Speakers Soundbar (RD8)
Lexin or Lexin Electronics, Inc., formed in 2006 as a manufacturer of OEM Car audio systems. The company entered the moto-electronics market in 2010 and is located in Costa Mesa, Calif. Lexin produces the best honorable mention speakers, Lexin Motorcycle Bluetooth Speakers (LX-S3CH)
Bike Speaker Pricing
- $19 to $400: Handlebar speakers are often mounted onto the handlebar of motorcycles. They add a new look and music to every bike that has them.
- $500 and up: Helmet headset speakers come in different styles and sizes. Although often they are small, some can pack a punch when it comes to sound. The headset also offers the option of communication. The quality and brand determine the price.
RMS Power (Root Mean Square)
The RMS power or Root Mean Square is a rating that measures the continuous power an amplifier can output, or a speaker can handle. You will want to look for the RMS power of motorcycle speakers to find out the maximum output it can manage.
The wattage of motorcycle speakers typically depends on where you ride it. High-wattage speakers are more for motorcyclists who prefer riding in more remote places. However, it is important to check if low voice speakers will work best for you.
Weatherproof and Durability
Since your motorcycle speakers will most likely be exposed to the elements, you want to make sure that the speakers you choose are weatherproof and durable.
- Input Options. Although most motorcycle speakers have Bluetooth compatibility, it not always good to assume. It may also not be your preference for connecting to devices. Look to see if they come with an amplifier that features an auxiliary connection. If they do, you will gain more ways to connect.
- Level of Comfort and Convenience. Sometimes, looks and style can outweigh comfort and convenience. However, when it comes to choosing the best motorcycle speakers for your bike, you should reconsider selecting comfort and convenience. Avoid creating a crowded space, which can happen when adding handlebar-mounted speakers. Another option is the helmet headset speaker, which offers hands-free usage. Whichever you choose, make sure it offers comfort, convenience, and above all, keep you safe.
Best Bike Speakers Reviews & Recommendations 2021
- To hear the music playing over the loud engine of your motorcycle depends on the wattage of your speakers. The lower the wattage is, often means the quieter and less powerful the speakers will be. Thus, choose motorcycle speakers with higher wattage.
- One of the very first things you should do before buying motorcycle speakers is to check compatibility. Look at the input power and see if the speakers will be able to easily connect to it.
- As motorcycles are already compact with very little wiggle room, you should think about where you plan on mounting the speakers. Double-check to make sure the speakers will not interfere with driving or could cause unsafe conditions. If there is not enough room, instead of trying to make some, maybe opt for a helmet headset type speaker.
Q: How many watts should motorcycle speakers have?
300 watts. The best motorcycle speakers have at least 300 watts RMS. The higher the speakers' wattage, the better sound quality they will produce.
Q: Is it legal to listen to music while riding a motorcycle?
Yes. Motorcyclists looking to enhance their riding experience can legally listen to music while riding their motorcycle. The key is to listen to your favorite songs safely. Choosing to use a stereo system on your motorcycle or a Bluetooth helmet are two safe ways to enjoy music while on your bike.
Q: Are motorcycle speakers waterproof?
Yes and No. Not all motorcycle speakers are waterproof, which is why you must check before you buy to avoid eventually having damaged speakers. Some speakers may say they are weatherproof, which is very similar to waterproof. However, others will say water-resistant, which is not the same. Waterproof is impervious to water, whereas, water-resistant can only “resist” the onset of water for so long, and not entirely.
Q: Can you wear earbuds on a motorcycle?
No. Motorcyclists can only wear hearing aids and built-in helmet headphones. You can use wireless devices and helmet audio systems, too. But, If you use any other type of hearing device, it is illegal. Thus, you cannot use headphones or earbuds, or you will be breaking the law.
Add stylish and great sounding speakers to your motorcycle and listen to music during every ride. There are plenty of amazing motorcycle speakers to choose from including the best overall Boss Audio Motorcycle Bluetooth Speaker (MC470B), and the best value GoHawk Bluetooth Motorcycle Speakers Soundbar (RD8). Whether you choose to buy the best handlebar mounted speaker or helmet headset, you gain the capability to be entertained while riding on the open road.